T Nation

Hardest Thing To Do in Sports

[quote]DJHT wrote:
I dont know this looks hard. How the hell do people find these threads?[/quote]

Can anyone find the thread where Figthin’ Irish is giving Emily Q shit about listening to her ipod while she jogs and how her maiden rape is imminent and I unleash some comic genius about throwing a box of wine glasses?

Or how about the thread with the but “I am still deadlifting quote” that you and I were putting in all the threads in GAL.

You say:

[quote]Tony G wrote:
I have been meaning to start this thread for some time now. I figured it would start some discussion or debate. The hardest SINGLE thing to do in any professional sport is hit a baseball. A better has about .4 of a second to figure how fast the pitch is coming, what kind of pitch it is, where the pitch is located and to make his decision whether or not to swing. Furthermore…he needs to hit a round ball with a round bat “squarely” on the “sweet spot” which is about an inch in diameter in order to be successful and hit a homerun 400 feet. Shit…if a batter FAILS 7 times out of 10…he is considered a phenomenal hitter! Now before, I get all those people who say…what about football, what about hockey, what about soccer?? I didnt say baseball players were the best athletes or in the best shape. All I said was that the SINGLE hardest thing to do in any professional sport is hit a baseball. Any one agree? Disagree? (which I think is absurd) [/quote]

I say:

Stand at the plate and hit a fucking ball that can deviate within, a what - 2by2by2? cubicle, with a fucking big ass stick. -.-

[quote]DJHT wrote:
Or how about the thread with the but “I am still deadlifting quote” that you and I were putting in all the threads in GAL.[/quote]

Oh yeah…that was funny!

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:
I dont know this looks hard. How the hell do people find these threads?[/quote]

Can anyone find the thread where Figthin’ Irish is giving Emily Q shit about listening to her ipod while she jogs and how her maiden rape is imminent and I unleash some comic genius about throwing a box of wine glasses?[/quote]

Haha.

[quote]Paste42 wrote:

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:
I dont know this looks hard. How the hell do people find these threads?[/quote]

Can anyone find the thread where Figthin’ Irish is giving Emily Q shit about listening to her ipod while she jogs and how her maiden rape is imminent and I unleash some comic genius about throwing a box of wine glasses?[/quote]

Haha.[/quote]

that was awesome sen say. bravo good sir

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
Doesn’t matter. He’d be a starter and a star in both scenarios. The fact that you said “grew up playing ball the way it is nowadays” tells me you don’t know the game - no disrespect. Solid post play is the same now as it was then. [/quote]

post play is the same now as it was then? There was a 3 second rule back then that prevented players from camping out under the basket? Players were as big and physical back then as they are now? (Shaq, Dwight Howard)
[/quote]

The mechanics of post play is the same, regardless of 3 second rule. One of the greatest post players of all time was Kevin McHale. He wasn’t “strong” like Shaq and he couldn’t jump over a telephone book and he’d be just as successful today as he was in the 80’s. The game hasn’t changed THAT much.

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
with this whole Wilt debate what are talking about here? are we talking:

Time machine goes back and grabs Wilt in his prime, brings him back here today and he’s playing tomorrow in the NBA?

or

Wilt reincarnate is born 25 years ago, grew up playing ball the way it is nowadays and is trying to play in the league?

I feel like those are two VERY different scenarios.[/quote]

Doesn’t matter. He’d be a starter and a star in both scenarios. The fact that you said “grew up playing ball the way it is nowadays” tells me you don’t know the game - no disrespect. Solid post play is the same now as it was then. [/quote]

Not a huge bball guy, but, didnt the advent of the 3-pointer change post play? With kick outs now scoring more points? [/quote]

It didn’t change post play at all. Post play is the entire area around the paint, including hi post. A guard launching a 3 does not change the mechanics of post play. The 3-pointer has changed the game a bit, in that you have to extend further out to defend, which opens up the court which in turn allows these athletic guys to move about however, watch play-off basketball - that’s the only real basketball that usually occurs during the season. Successful play-off ball is half court sets, run when you can (not when you want) and strategic use of the 3.

[quote]gregron wrote:

that was awesome sen say. bravo good sir[/quote]

It was a lot funnier in my memory…I smiled rather than l’edol.

Got ya BG, thanks for explaining.

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:

Not a huge bball guy, but, didnt the advent of the 3-pointer change post play? With kick outs now scoring more points? [/quote]

I don’t think it changed it much. The 3 second rule affects post play more. I played power forward all through high school and posted up about half the time. You’re always going to have the option to kick out to guard whether is for a 3 or just a jumper.

The only option the 3 second rule takes away is posting in the center of the paint. We were taught to occasionally “flash” to that spot for a quick shot instead. Footwork is key and so is being aware of exactly where you’re actually posting up.

But when it comes point’s off offensive rebounds, obviously the 3 second rule is HUGE.

I’ll also add my vote as Olajuwon as the best center of all time. Trust me, it was tough being a fan of him during the late 80’s and 90’s in NJ with all these Knick fans sucking Ewing’s cock.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

To continue with BodyGuard’s posts on post play, the footwork is def basic. The only reason it may seem difficult when you watch is because 7+ ft’ers generally lack the same fluidity, coordination of which everyone else onthe court has tons.

KG has McHale himself to thank for his footwork and Duncan is considered the best PF ever because of his footwork (and defense) and up until this year, it was a fair knock on Dwight Howard that he hadn’t put in the work to get more comfortable on the block. Finally, he’s arrived offensively.

Its also why Jordan became so devastating on the low block so quickly (and consequently Kobe Bryant as well)

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
with this whole Wilt debate what are talking about here? are we talking:

Time machine goes back and grabs Wilt in his prime, brings him back here today and he’s playing tomorrow in the NBA?

or

Wilt reincarnate is born 25 years ago, grew up playing ball the way it is nowadays and is trying to play in the league?

I feel like those are two VERY different scenarios.[/quote]

Doesn’t matter. He’d be a starter and a star in both scenarios. The fact that you said “grew up playing ball the way it is nowadays” tells me you don’t know the game - no disrespect. Solid post play is the same now as it was then. [/quote]

I agree w/ BG. Either scenario wilt is still a starter, but I would like to add that;

As a little kid I was enamored with Wilt and loved watching him score at will. I lost interest quickly though when he was going up against Kareem or Bill Walton because he suddenly became very quiet and unproductive. I do believe his unbelievable stats are the result of him feasting against the 6’6 centers mentioned above. The quality centers were able to shut him down.

I think a mathmatical way to approach this question would be to take the number of people who have tried a sport (or a specific activity with in a sport) vs the number who have been able to do it to a certain level.

In this type of discussion, hitting a 90 mph fastball is often brought up as the hardest thing in sports. I say bullshit to that. The are hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of high school kids who can rake 90mph all over the yard.

Pole Vaulting 19 feet also gets mentioned. I like this one. While not a lot of people have tried it, there’s still at least half a dozen new vaulters from every high school in America and elsewhere, and those numbers do add up. The number of people who have vaulted over 10 feet I’m sure is less than 100.

In the end, I’d say the hardest thing in sports is to play Quarterback at an elite level. Every year there’s only 5 or 6 people in the world who do it and they are usually the same ones who did it the year before.

[quote]on edge wrote:
I think a mathmatical way to approach this question would be to take the number of people who have tried a sport (or a specific activity with in a sport) vs the number who have been able to do it to a certain level.

In this type of discussion, hitting a 90 mph fastball is often brought up as the hardest thing in sports. I say bullshit to that. The are hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of high school kids who can rake 90mph all over the yard.

Pole Vaulting 19 feet also gets mentioned. I like this one. While not a lot of people have tried it, there’s still at least half a dozen new vaulters from every high school in America and elsewhere, and those numbers do add up. The number of people who have vaulted over 10 feet I’m sure is less than 100.

In the end, I’d say the hardest thing in sports is to play Quarterback at an elite level. Every year there’s only 5 or 6 people in the world who do it and they are usually the same ones who did it the year before.[/quote]

How many people outside the US play Football? Of course there are only 5 or 6 people in the world who play it at an elite level, but that’s only because there’s an X amount of teams from the US who you class as elite.

Pretty damn sure if the rest of the world started playing the game, then there’d be a shit ton more elite level quarterbacks around.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
GTFO! Cricket is gayer than aids[/quote]

Haha. Fair enough.

Ever played it?

Greatest game ever invented.[/quote]

Played it at school (forced, lol) for 3 years. Shite game, possibly the []iworst[/i] game I can think of. Even baseball looks more action-packed.

BBB[/quote]

Real shame. I can see why 99% of people just don’t like it. All I can say is that if you like it, the game is deep as hell, on a technical as well as strategic/tactical level.

Let me guess - rugby for you?

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:
I think a mathmatical way to approach this question would be to take the number of people who have tried a sport (or a specific activity with in a sport) vs the number who have been able to do it to a certain level.

In this type of discussion, hitting a 90 mph fastball is often brought up as the hardest thing in sports. I say bullshit to that. The are hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of high school kids who can rake 90mph all over the yard.

Pole Vaulting 19 feet also gets mentioned. I like this one. While not a lot of people have tried it, there’s still at least half a dozen new vaulters from every high school in America and elsewhere, and those numbers do add up. The number of people who have vaulted over 10 feet I’m sure is less than 100.

In the end, I’d say the hardest thing in sports is to play Quarterback at an elite level. Every year there’s only 5 or 6 people in the world who do it and they are usually the same ones who did it the year before.[/quote]

How many people outside the US play Football? Of course there are only 5 or 6 people in the world who play it at an elite level, but that’s only because there’s an X amount of teams from the US who you class as elite.

Pretty damn sure if the rest of the world started playing the game, then there’d be a shit ton more elite level quarterbacks around.[/quote]

Name a sport, any where in the world, that more kids try yet fewer become elite.

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Name a sport, any where in the world, that more kids try yet fewer become elite.
[/quote]

Baseball? :smiley:

Edit: Seriously though, if we’re going based off of numbers wouldn’t soccer hold the title?