Hardest Pushup Variation Ever?

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:
Planche push-ups were really easy when I was 14 and under 150 lbs. My gymnastic coach had us doing it for warm-up.

Last time I tried, faceplated into the floor and woke-up naked by a river bank… wait what ?[/quote]

I hope there wasn’t a van down by the river where you were naked.

[quote]iron lung wrote:
Are your fingers hanging over the front of the block facing forward, or are they hanging off the inside towards your torso?[/quote]

The fingers hang over the front of the block, with the fingers pointing downward to the floor, the fingers all together (i.e. not spread out), with no effort whatsoever to use the fingers to hold onto the blocks.

I am a few days out from having done the pushups and I am still so sore that I can’t lift weights at all (indeed, for the first two days afterwards, I could barely lift my arms above the chest level to shave). There’s something about this pushup variation which works the muscles to an extreme degree. The question is, is this variation over-stressing the muscles to the point of being potentially injurious?

BTW: For over twenty years, I have lifted weights 3-4 times per week, so this is not the reaction of a newbie feeling the typical DOMS which comes from starting out on lifting weights.

I’d probably have DOMS too if I did a whole bunch of those for the first time in my 20 year lifting career.

[quote]btbnashua wrote:

BTW: For over twenty years, I have lifted weights 3-4 times per week, so this is not the reaction of a newbie feeling the typical DOMS which comes from starting out on lifting weights.[/quote]

care to post a pic of what 20+ years of lifting weights looks like?

[quote]btbnashua wrote:

[quote]iron lung wrote:
Are your fingers hanging over the front of the block facing forward, or are they hanging off the inside towards your torso?[/quote]

The fingers hang over the front of the block, with the fingers pointing downward to the floor, the fingers all together (i.e. not spread out), with no effort whatsoever to use the fingers to hold onto the blocks.

I am a few days out from having done the pushups and I am still so sore that I can’t lift weights at all (indeed, for the first two days afterwards, I could barely lift my arms above the chest level to shave). There’s something about this pushup variation which works the muscles to an extreme degree. The question is, is this variation over-stressing the muscles to the point of being potentially injurious?

BTW: For over twenty years, I have lifted weights 3-4 times per week, so this is not the reaction of a newbie feeling the typical DOMS which comes from starting out on lifting weights.[/quote]

I would think with 20+ years of alleged training experience, you would know by now that most exercises only cause injuries if they’re done wrong/too much. But apparently you didn’t spend much of that alleged time learning…

POIDH

kthxbae

I love this site. The default reaction of almost everyone, on almost every issue, is to insult. I particularly like the posters whose insults are based on misreading of a post, or reading into the post things which were never said.

[quote]btbnashua wrote:
I love this site. The default reaction of almost everyone, on almost every issue, is to insult. I particularly like the posters whose insults are based on misreading of a post, or reading into the post things which were never said.[/quote]
It’s usually not insulting, but rather pointing out the obvious.

What passes here for “obvious” is what the real world considers smug blind ignorance.

To cite an example from another field, it’s the kind of like the smug-blind-ignorance-passing-for-superior knowledge which once afflicted the real estate field, with real estate agents smugly advising home buyers that real estate only goes up in value, that since God isn’t making any more land that prices must and will continue to go up, that one should always buy the most house you can afford, that the time to buy is now or else you’ll be forever priced out of the market, that your house will be your biggst and best investment, that you should always start off with an ARM because you will always be able to convert to a fixed rate at any time, etc, etc. These agents were self-proclaimed “experienced experts” smugly mouthing first-class horseshit like it was God’s revealed truth. This horseshit was considered by them to be “obvious” and anyone who differed with them was out of touch.

I stayed out of the overheated market despite that I was “obviously” wrong.

We know how that turned out.

[quote]btbnashua wrote:
This horseshit was considered by them to be “obvious” and anyone who differed with them was out of touch.
[/quote]

let me be te first to apologize.

today i tried ‘cinderblock pushups’. what an amazing burn/pump i got. will probably include these now on my chest days.

you sir, are amazin.

still interested in showing us where 20+ years of weight training experience has gotten you?

[quote]btbnashua wrote:
I love this site. The default reaction of almost everyone, on almost every issue, is to insult. I particularly like the posters whose insults are based on misreading of a post, or reading into the post things which were never said.[/quote]

look man.

YOU’RE the idiot that logged onto a site with the phrase ‘intelligent and relentless pursuit of muscle’ then went into the BODYBUILDING forum, and then start talking about doing PUSHUPS ON CINDER BLOCKS giving you the deepest burn in your tris and chest ever.

get real.

Seems like a fun variation, but I don’t think there will ever be a more difficult pushup variation than the 1 arm hand stand pushup =)

This funny guy with a bird on his shoulder and a wicked hat and goatee does a partial range eccentric of this in the anime One Piece when this blonde mechanic who smokes a cigar flips him upside down with a rope.

Oh and if the 1 arm handstand push up is too easy, and if holding a dumbbell in the non-pushing arm is not an option, one could always do a clapping version where you slap your ass or something while airborn. I don’t think you’d manage it 3 times like Ross since the ass is so much further away than the other hand.

Or rather than the palm, I supposed someone could do a 1 thumb or 1 finger stand pushup, since they are awesome.

I saw a picture of a monk doing a 1 thumb handstand with his feet balanced against the wall, that’s the closest =)