T Nation

Hardest Muscle to Build

I would have to say wide lats. Seems to me there’s no guys w/ any “wide” backs out & about nowadays. Why is this?

How about the rest of you? Hardest muscle to build up?

Rear delts.

Definitely Calves.

I agree with calves. Take Lats for example, when doing chins and when you hit failure, that is it. There is not much of a burn, I just can’t complete another rep. With calves, I can go heavy, or light, and after about ten reps, it starts to burn. I may have a lot left in me until failure, but the pain just grows, I go numb from the waist down, and I get cramps that last for hours. And after all that work, set after set, the calves don’t get any bigger, they just tone.

the Brain

The sphincter - training to failure is just plain nasty

Calves drive me nuts. After maybe 4 reps or so I just start losing ROM.

[quote]combatmedic wrote:
I agree with calves. Take Lats for example, when doing chins and when you hit failure, that is it. There is not much of a burn, I just can’t complete another rep. With calves, I can go heavy, or light, and after about ten reps, it starts to burn. I may have a lot left in me until failure, but the pain just grows, I go numb from the waist down, and I get cramps that last for hours. And after all that work, set after set, the calves don’t get any bigger, they just tone.[/quote]

[quote]Trailblazer wrote:
the Brain[/quote]

:slight_smile:

[quote]Massif wrote:
The sphincter - training to failure is just plain nasty[/quote]

If you’ve ever gotten the Plato de Monterey at “Mama Rosa’s Mexican Diner and Home for Wayward Cats” - training the sphincter to failure isn’t that much of a problem.

My calves are growth-proof. Anybody know where a guy might find some synthol really cheap?

infraspinatus. i want big external rotators cause my girlfriend says theyre hot.

The clavicular-sternomastoid(sp?)? Muscles in the front of the neck. From the traps up I look like a geek.

would have to be calves also, I pound the shit out of them and dont get much in return, they do grow, but not nearly the same rate as the rest of my body.

rainjack wrote:

My calves are growth-proof. Anybody know where a guy might find some synthol really cheap?

You dont need that shit, just duct tape a couple of hamburgers to your calves, looks great in pants…beware of onlookers if you wear shorts though!

[quote]slappy wrote:
rainjack wrote:

You dont need that shit, just duct tape a couple of hamburgers to your calves, looks great in pants…beware of onlookers if you wear shorts though!
[/quote]

i do the hotdog in the pants trick personally…

Comparative studies show that the protein synthetic response to resistance training is lower in soleus than thigh muscle.

Then again, I could have told you that years ago, without the expensive research. LOL/tear

For me lats are the hardest, and calves are quite easy for me to build.

I have big calves from riding a BMX up massive hills when I was younger. I went everywhere from it, and I use to have tiny tiny calves.

High rep, long, painful [but not to failure] work-outs are the best. They grow with time.

For me it’s that teardrop shaped muscle in my leg. I dont even think I have one :o

[for the record my calves are a stupid 17.5 inches :confused: it looks ridiculous!]

Definitely the pecker. No matter how hard you train it. But a close second would be the Vastus Medialis (VMO) ESPECIALLY post knee-injury.

For me, without a doubt my chest! anytime I try to hit anything else hard besides my chest it shrinks!

[quote]mica617 wrote:
Definitely the pecker. No matter how hard you train it.[/quote]

The weener muscle is a tough one, but I’m persistant.

My calves and my forearms don’t ever seem to grow. Sure they get stronger, but they never show any signs of appreciable growth.