T Nation

Harder to Get TRT Now?

I'm at a crossroads with my medical care... i like my current doc, but he is extremely skittish about TRT and was very resistant to test my testosterone levels at my last appointment. I intend on forcing the issue with him, and am going to push to get my test/estrogen checked, and if not, switch docs. (i feel like a dick for doing this, but at the same time, have felt like i've aged 20 years in the last year, and am only 38 years old).

i had hoped to do this through the VA, but am finding out the hard way that it will be a slow process with them, and should prolly start it elsewhere if I can.

anyway, i've seen several ads for lawsuits about various TRT products lately, and am wondering if this is a much more restrictive climate now? how much of an uphill battle should i expect?

Honestly, I think it all comes down to the doc you pick. Luckily for me it only took a second try to get a good one. The first one wanted to put me on a once a month T shot. I pretty much walked out the moment he said that.

The current doc is very liberal with T, AI and HCG. I even cut my T dose in half since I don’t need as much as he prescribes. He also doesn’t freak out when he sees my free T slightly above range.

Goodluck.

^good to hear. i was thinking that i might have been reading into things too much…

Why feel like a dick when it’s a matter of your quality of life lol.

The ads are bogus and most stopped about a year ago when a VA researcher studied medical records and saw that guys on TRT lived longer and healthier lives with fewer heart attacks and strokes. That also implies less arterial problems and blood pressure and circulation would be improved.

Please read these stickies:

• advice for new guys — note the first paragraph
  • finding a TRT doc

Your symptoms are also consistent with low thyroid function, sometimes subsequent to iodine deficiency and not using iodized salt. We have many here with low T and thyroid/iodine issues.

You can do your own labs out of pocked and have those ready and in-hand when dealing with doctors and VA.
You can do labs via lef.org and other places. [If in NY, its difficult or impossible to do.]

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Why feel like a dick when it’s a matter of your quality of life lol.[/quote]

yeah, i dunno… one of those weird personality traits, i guess.

he’s a good doc otherwise (is still only an intern) and promotes diet and exercise as a first line of management of health, and relies on medication in more specific instances.

[quote]KSman wrote:
The ads are bogus and most stopped about a year ago when a VA researcher studied medical records and saw that guys on TRT lived longer and healthier lives with fewer heart attacks and strokes. That also implies less arterial problems and blood pressure and circulation would be improved.

Please read these stickies:

• advice for new guys — note the first paragraph
  • finding a TRT doc

Your symptoms are also consistent with low thyroid function, sometimes subsequent to iodine deficiency and not using iodized salt. We have many here with low T and thyroid/iodine issues.

You can do your own labs out of pocked and have those ready and in-hand when dealing with doctors and VA.
You can do labs via lef.org and other places. [If in NY, its difficult or impossible to do.][/quote]

ah, makes sense.

yeah, i am hypothyroid… been on synthroid since shortly after returning from my 3rd mid-East tour.

Please see the thyroid basics sticky. Check your body temperatures. If they are low, you are under-medicated.

"sometimes subsequent to iodine deficiency and not using iodized salt"
Did someone ask about your iodine intake before Rx thyroid meds?

[quote]KSman wrote:

Did someone ask about your iodine intake before Rx thyroid meds?[/quote]

no. they were oddly nonchalant about medicating me… and since i just wanted to feel better, i just started the medication right away without researching first.

i got blood drawn the other day, so i’ll see how that all looks in a couple days.

(i forgot to mention i ended up switching docs)

i got my blood results back and the range they used was 240-950, and i was at 286. so i guess i’ll be looking to “outsource” TRT…