'Hardcore'

I know I have personally disgusted people by how hard I train… When the set I would consider as 7 out of 10 for perceived effort. I know I have collapsed on the ground unable to get up without grabbing onto something, and have had squats that take upward of 10-15 seconds and even more for deadlifts/bench. I know it has a good 10-15 seconds of straining to just get a pull or of some kind off the floor/rack and just be considered a normal everday rep to me.

Am I what I would consider hardcore? No, there are extremely few humans alive that I would consider hardcore that I know about… Most have been record holders, or at least very very high up there.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
semi related

Iron Dwarf got a tan?

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

What describes “hardcore”…and why is it seen as a bad thing lately?[/quote]

I don’t really understand this part of your post. Who is saying “hardcore” is a bad thing?[/quote]

Every skinny newb who thinks anything over 190lbs is “too big”…the people looking at you strangely in the gym because you look like you actually use the place…and the many people here who think someone shouldn’t push to hit higher levels of body weight for a goal because they think smaller and leaner is better than pushing to an absolute limit.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

I don’t really understand this part of your post. Who is saying “hardcore” is a bad thing?[/quote]

Every skinny newb who thinks anything over 190lbs is “too big”…the people looking at you strangely in the gym because you look like you actually use the place…and the many people here who think someone shouldn’t push to hit higher levels of body weight for a goal because they think smaller and leaner is better than pushing to an absolute limit.

[/quote]

haterz gunna hate big guy. Don’t let it get you down.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

haterz gunna hate big guy. Don’t let it get you down.[/quote]

LOL.

yeah, to tell the truth, it is actually motivation.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

But like with most serious clubs, whether it’s … having a huge dong, … if you go around telling people you are, you’re probably not.[/quote]
[/quote]
On a sort of related note, I once knew a guy whose primary pick-up line was telling girls how small his junk was, really belaboring the point, “It’s terrible, seriously, you’ll laugh. Like a half-used pencil. Just sad, sad, sad.” His goal was her eventually asking him to prove it, at which point they’d go off on their own, he’d whip it out, and, when she found out he was average (or so he told me), he’d be like, “Well… what do we do now?”

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

But like with most serious clubs, whether it’s … having a huge dong, … if you go around telling people you are, you’re probably not.[/quote]
[/quote]
On a sort of related note, I once knew a guy whose primary pick-up line was telling girls how small his junk was, really belaboring the point, “It’s terrible, seriously, you’ll laugh. Like a half-used pencil. Just sad, sad, sad.” His goal was her eventually asking him to prove it, at which point they’d go off on their own, he’d whip it out, and, when she found out he was average (or so he told me), he’d be like, “Well… what do we do now?”[/quote]

lol.

Ironically, that is kinda ‘hardcore’.

when at diablo barbell many thought i did too much, and i often was there early and left late.

when i convince somebody to train with me, (these are NOT newbs btw) usually they drop out before i am finished, or vomit, and if they make it trough to the end they almost never come back for number 2.

and yes, i know i am by no means impressive by any standard. point i am trying to make is there is a reason there are so many people who “go to the gym” regularly but are very very average or below average in appearance and performance.

i am kind of disgusted with the kind of people who show up to the gym (mainly in the weight area). people just socialize & stand near machines, but not use, lift weight that is light to them, and give you funny looks because you dropped a plate on the ground, or dropped the bar while deadlifting. it’s the most annoying thing… it’s like lifting heavy & making noise is “showing off”

ridiculous

maybe it’s becoming a bad thing because of gyms like planet fitness catering to casuals, ridiculing real bodybuilders

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]
On a sort of related note, I once knew a guy whose primary pick-up line was telling girls how small his junk was, really belaboring the point, “It’s terrible, seriously, you’ll laugh. Like a half-used pencil. Just sad, sad, sad.” His goal was her eventually asking him to prove it, at which point they’d go off on their own, he’d whip it out, and, when she found out he was average (or so he told me), he’d be like, “Well… what do we do now?”[/quote]

In the Dirt by Motley Crue(awesome/filthy read), Nikki Sixx talks about something similar -sometimes the hottest girls would shit test him and say 'you think you’re so cool, God’s gift to women etc ’ in reply he’d say ‘no I curse God everyday for giving me a tiny cock’ then change the subject or walk away -they’d be on him like the stink on shit after that

my version of hardcore includes:-

lifting for decades rather than years
not getting “big but am really just fat”
not taking drugs as I view that as the less manly way of doing things
not showing off ones beach muscles, safe in the knowledge that the traps/glutes combo trumps them

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:

not showing off ones beach muscles, safe in the knowledge that the traps/glutes combo trumps them [/quote]

Can’t agree with this one. I am probably in tank tops more than anyone. I also won’t be showing off my GLUTES too much aside from what they can see through my pants.

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:

not showing off ones beach muscles, safe in the knowledge that the traps/glutes combo trumps them [/quote]

Can’t agree with this one. I am probably in tank tops more than anyone. I also won’t be showing off my GLUTES too much aside from what they can see through my pants.[/quote]

The funny thing to me about the term “beach muscles” is that people can see just about every muscle when you’re at the beach, except maybe the glutes and thighs if you wear super loose board shorts.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:

Can’t agree with this one. I am probably in tank tops more than anyone. I also won’t be showing off my GLUTES too much aside from what they can see through my pants.[/quote]

The funny thing to me about the term “beach muscles” is that people can see just about every muscle when you’re at the beach, except maybe the glutes and thighs if you wear super loose board shorts.[/quote]

LOL.

I honestly don’t care if someone thinks I am “showing off” at this point. There are so few really built people walking around lately, I’m not about to hide it.

Not to mention, hiding it at my size looks stupid anyway.

I won’t go shirtless to church, but you can bet there will be many “accidental losses of shirt” this summer. Those things get slippery when wet.

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:

The funny thing to me about the term “beach muscles” is that people can see just about every muscle when you’re at the beach, except maybe the glutes and thighs if you wear super loose board shorts.[/quote]

true, its not an accurate term. round these parts the only muscles you see at the beach are on the face and the hands, except for the two days a year we laughingly call “summer”

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:

LOL.

I honestly don’t care if someone thinks I am “showing off” at this point. There are so few really built people walking around lately, I’m not about to hide it.

Not to mention, hiding it at my size looks stupid anyway.

I won’t go shirtless to church, but you can bet there will be many “accidental losses of shirt” this summer. Those things get slippery when wet.[/quote]

I “show off” as often as I can, if “showing off” means not being ashamed to take my shirt off when it’s nice outside.

If u mad it cuz u jelly bro. LOLZ

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:
true, its not an accurate term. round these parts the only muscles you see at the beach are on the face and the hands, except for the two days a year we laughingly call “summer”
[/quote]

lol, he’s not lying. It is pretty funny when you see guys taking their shirts off when it’s like 12 degrees C outside.

Scotland sucks

LOL. Scotland is the anti-Houston.

When others label your training as hard core, it is probably a better indicator than a self label. When people ask you sheepishly “hey, can I ask you a quick question?” or something like “man, how do I get my ___ to look like yours”

getting older and avoiding injury, training smarter and more effectively is rewarding. I don’t care about how much noise I make or wait so more people can watch my top end set. I go in, train among the low information trainers and trainees, and get the hell out. I do watch some of the cardio bunnies to elevate my heart rate.
I offer no unsolicited advice. I admire the newbs and weak who honestly are trying.

LOL. Scotland is the anti-Houston.[/quote]

I dunno man, obesity here is getting pretty high. Highest in Europe currently.