T Nation

Hardcore Gyms in Westchester, NY?


#1

This is a shot in the dark, but does anybody know of one? Powerlifting watch lists teh Powerhouse in yonkers ... I dont know who put that up there, but either that gym has changed A LOT, or it was a bad joke. Frigging powerhouse doesnt even have a squat rack - are you kidding me? i'll make due with what I can find, but ideally i'd like

-squat rack
-a bar that doesnt bend
-chalk allowed
-trainers/employees who do not crap their pants if youre deadlifting, squatting what the general public seems to think is heavy weight, etc
-gym patrons who know their way around the weight room. I'm not elitist enough to demand that everyone be dedicated to getting bigger/stronger, but as long as tehre arent too many frigging guidos and mouthbreathers I'll be ok
-circular plates, not the frigging octagons. preferably the old school iron ones, not the new rubber-coated ones with grips, since taht would solve the next issue (i have plate-loadable DBs, but the rubber plates are JUST too small to fit on it)
-DBs that go up to at least 110, anything over 150 is gravy
-I'm hoping that I cant take this for granted, but a decent bench. wont that wont start shaking and wobbling with, say, 405-455 on it
-csr
-back extension

and as long as I'm wishing
-bumpers
-trap bar
-ghr
-specialty bars

doesnt seem like too much to ask, but im not holding my breath


#2

Every time I go to NY, I go to powerhouse. It’s the only decent place around. It does have a good squat rack, DBs up to 200lbs and they allow chalk and deadlifting. It also has a GHR/Back Extension, cambered bar, and I think maybe a buffalo bar. There’s also a bunch of stuff in a back room that probably belongs to one of the powerlifters I’ve seen there (the cambered bar might be theirs).

You’re in NY, I don’t know where you’ll find a gym without guidos.


#3

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Every time I go to NY, I go to powerhouse. It’s the only decent place around. It does have a good squat rack, DBs up to 200lbs and they allow chalk and deadlifting. It also has a GHR/Back Extension, cambered bar, and I think maybe a buffalo bar. There’s also a bunch of stuff in a back room that probably belongs to one of the powerlifters I’ve seen there (the cambered bar might be theirs).

You’re in NY, I don’t know where you’ll find a gym without guidos.[/quote]

the powerhouse in Yonkers? On central ave? Is this the one in the mall with teh floor-to-ceiling windows? I’m so confused becasue the one I saw didnt have a squat rack or anything.


#4

Yes, Powerhouse in the Cross County Craphole. I think the last time I went was January. They have 1 squat cage and 2 step racks.

A day pass there is still only $5. Not like many in the area which are $10+.

Oh, there’s a Gold’s Gym in White Plains, but it probably sucks pretty hard. Looks all new and trendy from the outside.


#5

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Yes, Powerhouse in the Cross County Craphole. I think the last time I went was January. They have 1 squat cage and 2 step racks.

A day pass there is still only $5. Not like many in the area which are $10+.

Oh, there’s a Gold’s Gym in White Plains, but it probably sucks pretty hard. Looks all new and trendy from the outside.[/quote]

hmmm … interesting, I looked in through the windows whne I was there one time, either it was in another room, or im going blind. either one a good possibility. Thanks tang, I’ll have to report back on monday.


#6

Tang, I owe you BIG TIME. I didnt see the squat rack when I walked by last time since it was behind all the cardio. I LOVE this gym. Seriously, cant tell you how happy i am right now to have found this place. Thanks a lot.


#7

Speaking of finding a good gym, I’m going to be moving pretty soon. How do you guys go about finding gyms in the area other than driving around?


#8

hey KBC! I’m in westchester too, Rye actually. so far I’ve been doomed to working out at the local YMCA, (i get so much shit for deadlifting. you can’t drop the weights without somebody complaining) but my gf lives in yonkers so i might have to give this one a shot over the summer. heck maybe i’ll see you there!


#9

You can check out Body Werx in Elmsford, they have db’s up to 155, plenty of plates, squat rack, a few benches and almost everything you would need. The owner is a bodybuilder and so are a few of the members, along with a few powerlifters.


#10

Hey, KBC, are you still lifting at Powerhouse? Have you met up with the powerlifters there? I think there’s more than one group of them.

Do you know if it is open this Friday (July 4) or Saturday (July 5)?

Thanks.


#11

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Hey, KBC, are you still lifting at Powerhouse? Have you met up with the powerlifters there? I think there’s more than one group of them.

Do you know if it is open this Friday (July 4) or Saturday (July 5)?

Thanks.[/quote]

I am lifting there, overall I love it, thanks for recommending it. My schedule is totally different from Moore’s crew, I lift Mon and Wed AM, they lift Tue Thurs PM. I did floor press with two of his guys one night, and I spoke with Stas, but the only one I’ve had any extensive conversation with is Oscar (he was in at the same time when I was squatting Wed nights for a while.)

The gym is definitely open on friday, i believe 8-2, but you might want to call them to double check waht time their closing. 100% sure they are open, and 99% sure they open up at 8? I know its open regular hours saturday and sunday, 8-6.


#12

Thanks for the time info. They’re pretty good about keeping holiday hours (every time I go it’s a holiday).

I don’t actually know any of the powerlifters there, I’ve just seen some Inzer shirts walking around. Too bad you can’t train with them. I figure there would be more of them


#13

Just saw this on elitefts:

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=76572&tid=