'Hardcore' Gyms in Rochester NY?

Just wanted to post here since I live in Canandaigua. May have to make the trip up to Rochester and lift at RIT, when I get back from college. I emailed gopainclinic over the summer and got my email bumped back to. Currently building a power rack, stole the specs from elitefts. It’s gonna be sweet.

[quote]hachi wrote:
Just wanted to post here since I live in Canandaigua. May have to make the trip up to Rochester and lift at RIT, when I get back from college. I emailed gopainclinic over the summer and got my email bumped back to. Currently building a power rack, stole the specs from elitefts. It’s gonna be sweet.[/quote]

Now the gym isn’t THat great… its like most other college gyms. Its just the best Rochester has to offer at least to my knowledge

Does the RIT gym have a reverse hyper, a GHR, and some kind of adjustable/different sized boxes to squat onto?

Does the RIT gym have a reverse hyper, a GHR, and some kind of adjustable/different sized boxes to squat onto?

From what I hear, it does not. Maybe a box but not a Rev.Hyper or GHR.

I am working on my garage gym… It will be ready by January and I hope to have all three units.

I applied to RIT, and even though I live in VA, it’s my first choice. It is really reassuring to see everyone talking about how good the gym is there. I was worried. Hoping I get in :). Those of you that did, pm me please I have a couple questions!

[quote]pyrosive wrote:
I applied to RIT, and even though I live in VA, it’s my first choice. It is really reassuring to see everyone talking about how good the gym is there. I was worried. Hoping I get in :). Those of you that did, pm me please I have a couple questions![/quote]

No GHR, no reverse hyper, no good.

Just moved into the area guys - If anyone wants to train, let me know…
Currently non-competitive powerlifter…

[quote]Sanitarium wrote:

[quote]pyrosive wrote:
I applied to RIT, and even though I live in VA, it’s my first choice. It is really reassuring to see everyone talking about how good the gym is there. I was worried. Hoping I get in :). Those of you that did, pm me please I have a couple questions![/quote]

No GHR, no reverse hyper, no good.[/quote]

GFT

the gym isn’t anything to brag about… Just has power racks and plenty of free weights. I’ve put in at least 10 request slips for a GHR and revers hyper but chance of them getting any anytime soon are slim.

On a different note… Don’t come to RIT… are you crazy. Can’t stand this place… it’ll be hard for you to find someone that does.

Check out www.niagarapowerliftingclub.com the guy that runs it puts on the Red Brick meet in Rochester I think. He might be able to help you out.

[quote]Amiright wrote:

[quote]Sanitarium wrote:

[quote]pyrosive wrote:

No GHR, no reverse hyper, no good.[/quote]

GFT

the gym isn’t anything to brag about… Just has power racks and plenty of free weights. I’ve put in at least 10 request slips for a GHR and revers hyper but chance of them getting any anytime soon are slim.

On a different note… Don’t come to RIT… are you crazy. Can’t stand this place… it’ll be hard for you to find someone that does.[/quote]

An FYI for you guys - Flex Gym in the city has a GHR, PowerSquat, EFS Comp bench, Safety squat bars, etc… Most legit in Rochester in my opinion…

1 Like

My garage gym is operational. I am looking for legit training partners. I am currently training for a few meets this summer.

I have a ton of equipment old school, heavy duty Safety Squat Bar from Buffalo Bills weight room, 2 130# plateloaded DB’s, Plate loaded DBs up to 65lbs, lat-pulldown machine w 5 handles, homemade bentover row machine, flat bench, modified 45* hyper-extension, Jesup Power Bar, 2 junk bars for rack pulls, ~1000# of weight, power rack, ~300lbs in chains, safety chains for power rack, farmers walk handles, spud ab and neck straps, full rubber flooring, and a ton more…

PM me if your interested!

I am going to be in Rochester this summer and need a good powerlifting gym. I was thinking about the University of Rochester Athletic Center since I will be attending the Ithaca College affiliate of U of R. The only gyms that seem close enough is the athletic center, the Rochester Athletic Club (which has already been bashed in a post here), and I guess the Flex Gym is within range. Does anyone have any experience with any of these gyms or know of anything else? I basically need a good power bar (that I can hold onto 600+ lbs) and enough weight and somewheres that won’t bitch at me for deadlift 600+ with chalk.

[quote]xahliftinracerx wrote:
I am going to be in Rochester this summer and need a good powerlifting gym. I was thinking about the University of Rochester Athletic Center since I will be attending the Ithaca College affiliate of U of R. The only gyms that seem close enough is the athletic center, the Rochester Athletic Club (which has already been bashed in a post here), and I guess the Flex Gym is within range. Does anyone have any experience with any of these gyms or know of anything else? I basically need a good power bar (that I can hold onto 600+ lbs) and enough weight and somewheres that won’t bitch at me for deadlift 600+ with chalk. [/quote]

haha good luck.

I recently left Flex.
They do not have a power bar, and the only place to deadlift is in the middle of the botoxed trainers side lunge parade…

Bump…
Anyone training in or around the city these days? Need a partner or a few.

I went to RIT, co-started the RIT Weightlifting Club and still lift there today.

The new gym is great. 2 full racks, 1 half rack, deadlift platform, DB’s up to 160, you can use chalk, make noise.

(granted there are a large amount of Bro-Tards there, but you get that most anywhere you go these days)

The weightlifing club has a shitload of Strongman Tools/Toys, a prowler, a reverse hyper and texas power bars. Note: these are for club members only. There is very little that students need to do to become a member, basically jsut go to a meeting (in the gym).

I go to Flex when the gym at RIT is closed and it ‘gets me by’.

But I’d still like to hear if there is anyone else that’s got a good place. My buddies and I are some of the stronger guys around, I’d like to lift with guys a LOT stronger than me for motivation.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
I went to RIT, co-started the RIT Weightlifting Club and still lift there today.

The new gym is great. 2 full racks, 1 half rack, deadlift platform, DB’s up to 160, you can use chalk, make noise.

(granted there are a large amount of Bro-Tards there, but you get that most anywhere you go these days)

The weightlifing club has a shitload of Strongman Tools/Toys, a prowler, a reverse hyper and texas power bars. Note: these are for club members only. There is very little that students need to do to become a member, basically jsut go to a meeting (in the gym).

I go to Flex when the gym at RIT is closed and it ‘gets me by’.

But I’d still like to hear if there is anyone else that’s got a good place. My buddies and I are some of the stronger guys around, I’d like to lift with guys a LOT stronger than me for motivation. [/quote]

Is the club exclusive to students only?

For the winter I will be training at commercial gyms. I did Flex for a few weeks, but it recently got bought out, and is turning into a ‘planet fitness’ type so I left there and now train at a small gym in Irondequoit called Boundaries. It is not ‘powerlifting friendly’ but I would call it ‘powerlifting tolerant’.

I would be interested in training at RIT, does the club still have a website? Do you guys have any crews put together with specific training times/schedules?

Thanks for the input!

I’d recommend RIT’s gym as well. Their setup is decent. The cardio machines are on an upper floor. There are multiple benches flat benches, two decline, a few incline. Also, there is the deadlift station, 3 racks downstairs, one upstairs. If you’re into training your calves with a Smith Machine there are two.

If you’re just starting out, don’t be afraid to ask the weightlifting team for advice on lifts. They’re beasts, but they’re beasts for a reason.

I graduated from RIT, but sadly didn’t start lifting like a real man until my last year when I started power lifting. Now I’m stuck out in Austin, MN where there’s a ‘Hardcore’ gym which is way overpriced, or Anytime Fitness.

Side note about Anytime Fitness: There was a guy waiting for me to finish my set of squats in the rack (Front, Back, Hack). He waited patiently for approximately 25 minutes. I thought maybe he wanted to bench (as there is only one rack and zero benches to bb press). Nope, he wanted to do curls in the rack. My wife, who does squats with me, didn’t understand why I was laughing when we left the gym…

www.PrecisionSSD.com

idk if anyone is still payin attention to this. but i do my lifting at ballys in greece… they dont seem to care bout dropping weights they do have signs up for like no chalk use, but i use chalk no one has complained. pretty sure long as u dont break anything theyre cool with it. but i wanna check out that STAR gym in fairport but its a hike to go workout