T Nation

Hardcore Golf Training

Salut CT!

I just read your golf article on Thibarmy blog

What a piece of article; you took me back like 20 years when Paul Check wrote here a series of articles regarding spine stability, and it’s rotation. Yours it is awesome, it shows what knowledge integration and extrapolation learned from other sports can be translated to use in other disciplines.
I really like te way you can go deep in some issues and yet make it understandable

By the way, I also saw you have a LOT of new programs. The one that caught more my attention is the omni-contraction specialization bench press program

Have you ever considered making a training/nutrition program aimed to weightlifters (powerbuilders, powerlifters, crossfitters, bodybuilders, etc) who a simple low carb doesn´t work that well and are in need of improving insulin sensitivity?

Mes félicitations. J’ai vraiment aimé regarder tous ces nouveaux programmes

Well, to be honest, anything that increases muscle mass or include explosive work will improve insulin sensitivity. And BTW, low carb diets can actually makes insulin sensitivity WORSE in the long run.

It’s a protective mechanism. When the body is chronically in a carbs deprived state, the body adapts by preventing glucose uptake by the muscles (by causing peripheral insulin resistance). This is only to reduce the risk of hypoglycemia.

Ask any bodybuilder who diets strictly on low carbs what happens when he tries to carb-up… he can’t! If you stay on a low carbs diet for months and you reintroduce carbs you will won’t be able to store a lot of muscle glycogen, because you suffer from peripheral insulin resistance.

1 Like

Wow, surprenant

Your answer really took me by surprise since right now the biggest nutrition trend is ketogenic nutrition for prediabetics, obesity, low grade inflammation, etc. And I don´t doubt about it’s benefits as neither do I doubt about certain tribes with no obesity among them, whose nutrition is predominantly based on grains and low in protein and fat. Guess that the common point among them is metabolic flexibility and adaptation, hard physical work, no processed foods, not snacking, not eating lots of times a day as well as “no overeating”.

I want to improve my body composition (more muscle, less bodyfat) but without compromising my insulin sensitivity. I am no longer on the 70-80mg/dL morning fasting range (Now in the 90s range) and as time goes I am getting closer to 100mg/dL.

I don´t want to abuse of your kindness since this is a coaching forum, and I will do my own search to confront the ketogenic/low carb approach in cases like mine (plus DM type 2 running in the family). But would you be so kind to help me by giving me some guiding lights regarding some readings, articles or books?

Merci beaucoup

1 Like

A high fatty acid consumption can reduce muscle insulin sensitivity. That is actually pretty well established. Not to mention that over the moderate to long term, a diet pretty devoid of carbs reduces the enzymes responsible for storing glucose as glycogen.

A lot of study looking at keto dieting show an improvement in overall insulin sensitivity because people lose fat, and losing fat does improve insulin sensitivity, regardless of the dietary strategy. But for individuals who are not overfat to start with, a keto diet can lead to issues with sensitivity.

Just as a starting point:

“We conclude that high fat feeding, without a major increase in body weight or basal hyperinsulinaemia, causes widespread but varying degrees of in vivo insulin resistance in peripheral tissues, with major effects in principally oxidative skeletal muscle.”

1 Like

Thank you for your excellent golf article! As an avid golfer, I appreciated your detailed breakdown of how top pros are using groundforce in the modern swing. I look forward to your part 2 and
would like to read more articles about how which types of training can improve your golf game.
I am sure I am no the only golf nut on the forum !

You know, as I’m starting the off-season period (season is over in Quebec) my thought process is that for most golfers, weight training should stay fairly general. They likely need to simply focus on building muscle and being “not weak”.

Basically, if you become stronger and more muscular overall, provided that you don’t lose mobility, it will allow you to do more swing speed training like superspeed stick overspeed training.

I cover that a bit here:

Basically, more strength and muscle givers you the capacity to absorb more force, making you able to decelerate more effectively and more safely. This in turns allows you to do overspeed work more effectively and more often, which will increase your swing speed.

What I am doing at the moment is:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday: lifting
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday: swing speed work

My lifting is a whole body, using a low volume/high intensiveness approach… old school HIT bodybuilding training.

Speed work is:

*Hitting 7 irons in a net (I have a sensor swing analyzer that tells me clubhead speed, face angle, swing path, angle of attack) for around 10 minutes… this is essentially my warm-up

*Superspeed sticks protocol… what I’m doing at the moment is:
Set 1: 5 swings with the green/light stick (1 @ 80%, 1 @ 90@, 3 @ 100%)
Set 2: 5 swings with the blue/medium stick (1 @ 80%, 1 @ 90@, 3 @ 100%)
Set 3: 5 swing the the red/heavy stick (1 @ 80%, 1 @ 90@, 3 @ 100%)
Set 4: 5 swings with my driver (1 @ 80%, 1 @ 90@, 3 @ 100%)
REPEAT sets 1-4 a second time

This is PHASE 1 of my overspeed work, when progress slows down I’ll move on to phase 2 which includes power step swings.

*Then I will hit my 7 iron for another 10 minutes.

Finally, I hit on a heavy bag with a baseball bat. The heavy bag is on the floor and I hit it with a golf swing. I do 3-5 sets of 5 rep as hard as I can.

As long as my swing speed keeps progressing I won’t change my schedule or type of training. If at one point I stop progressing even with pushing the speed work to a higher level, I will make my lifting program a bit more specific by adding power exercises like a power snatch from the hang, power clean, jumps and medicine ball throw. But I actually suspect that I won’t have to do that.

My goal is to reach a game swing speed of 125-128mph which would require a swing speed of around 142mph with the blue/medium stick (I’m at 134 at the moment). I figure that with 7 months of off-season this is achievable and I might be able to reach 130-132 when swinging for the fences.

SIDENOTE: I actually just understood how to use the legs (Gangkas style). Which is a completely different feeling that what I originally thought and instantly gave me 5mph. I actually swing my 7 iron at 100mph now.

Because I don’t have a trackman at home I’m actually using 3 different radars. The sensor on my hand (also giving launch conditions info), a SC 300 from behind and my Garmin GPS next to the ball.

EDIT: I just had a solid swing speed session and hit 140mph on the green stick, 136mph on the blue stick and 133mph on the red stick which is 119-120mph in driver speed. So I’m more than on pace for my goal. YES I had to change my days because two days ago I had food poisoning.

1 Like