Hardcore Essentials2

Thanks Dave and LittleStrick.

So this evening I did a little change up.

Deadlifts:
135 x 2 sets x 5 reps
225 x 5
315 x 1
405 x 1
475 x 1
545 lbs x 1

BP:
135 x 10
185 x 5
225 x 1(pause)
265 x 1(pause)
300 x 1(pause)

Squats:
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 3
405 x 1

Dead Hang Kness Ups:
1 x 25

Was an OK night for pulling and I think I have a lot more left in the tank. Benches were fairly easy and squats were easy but I was feeling a little rough from the work week and cumulative body stress of heavy lifting lately. I will squat and bench heavy Monday most likely and then do a light lifting on Wednesday before the meet.
The way I’m thinking right now I will open with: Squat-550, Bench-300, Dead-525 lbs.

Really solid openers.

Your squat and DL numbers are close.

Great looking openers GV. Not to mention strong!

I like your lead up to the meet. I always fall flat if I take a near week of light lifting.

Those are solid openers.

Thanks Snap, I like to keep things as symmetrical as possible. LittleStrick-Yeah, I find if I go to light for too long leading up to the meet my strength and confidence may wane a bit. Thanks Crippler, hoping to keep things consistent. One more heavy day of squats and bench on Monday then maybe a light, grease the grooves lift on Wednesday before the meet.

Good numbers. Do good.

Have fun and hit a PR (or 4) at the meet. This isn’t your 1st rodeo and you know the drill. Rest up and leave it all on the platform.

Thanks Harry and hawkcapt. Tonight I attempted to lift heavy and things were okay but my body was still wrecked from this past weekends activities and Friday’s deadlifts. I thought I should be recovered but I was wrong. Also I messed up my eating before lifting tonight which screwed up squatting.

Squats:
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 3
405 x 1(belt)
495 x 1(knee sleeves and belt)
605 x fail(this is where my bloated gut messed me up)

BP:
135 x 10
185 x 5
225 x 1(pause)
265 x 1(pause)
315 x 1(pause)

Standing Crunches:
70 lbs x 20

I think with rest and a bunch of therapy by Saturday I may be able to do better on the squat and my bench. This evening my gravity was off a little but that will change. I will do a very quick, light lifting on Wednesday and then the meet.

Tonight was the last lifting before the meet on Saturday.

Squats:(raw)
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 3
405 x 3

BP:
135 x 10
185 x 5
225 x 3(paused)
265 x 3(paused)

Standing Crunches:
70 lbs x 20

Was surprised I felt strong and mobile tonight because I did a bunch of tree trimming, hand sawing and branch breaking, as well as regular work the last couple days. Things were fast and easy tonight and now it’s time to do therapy and mental prep the next couple of days for the meet.

Looking good and it sounds like things are coming together at the right time!
Tear it up!

Sounds like you are ready to kick butt and take names. I would say good luck, but I don’t think you need it!! Hard work trumps luck every time!

Think of branch breaking as an accessory exercise. You’re ready for this meet.

Good luck GV. Have fun.

Thanks to all for the support. Meet Synopsis:

Woke up about 6 AM Saturday Morning(4/16/16) got ready and my wife and I drove to Melbourne for the Raw United Masters/Teenage Championships. We arrived after almost exactly 1 hour of travel to gym/meet site. I weighed in at 217.2 pounds and began to do some mobility work for my shoulders, back and hips. There was a rules meeting at 9 AM and lifting began at 10 AM.
I had a big coffee and my pre-lifting supps about 9 AM and began doing warmup squats around 9:40. My squats attempts were: 535(good), 580(good), and 600 lbs(good).

This is 580 lbs

This is 600 lbs
Then came benches which were: 300(good), 315(good), 325(good)

300 lbs

315 lbs

325 lbs
Then deadlifts which were: 525(good), 545(good), 550(good)

525 lbs

545 lbs

550 lbs

My right hip was really hurting due to a pestering psoas injury there so I stayed ultra conservative for my deads because I wanted to have a 9 for 9 day and I got it. This was my first 9 for 9 competition ever and I was proud to hit that goal. I shared the best lifter status with a friend and great competitor and I won my weight class. I witnessed a heap of great lifting and shared the day with great familiar faces and friends. The meet was done incredibly well being very efficiently run. We started at 10 AM and everything was finished by 4 PM. Several state records were set or broken and 1 or 2 national records were set.
I was especially thankful for my wife for being there with me all day and taking the videos. My total was 1475 which was okay but it just irked me that I didn’t do 1500 lbs. With good fortune and smart training I will greatly outdo these numbers at the next meet. Overall this was a great day and I got two trophies.

Outstanding! Next time 1500 lbs for sure.

Congratulations GV! 9 for 9 is awesome and 1475# is a lot of weight!
Way to get after it!

Thanks for the great write up and videos…

Thanks Harry and LittleStrick. Onwards and Upwards!

Congratulations GV. 600 walked squat is huge! I thought 325 looked smoother than 315 on the bench. That number should go up next week. Nice work!!

Wow! Loved the 600-lb raw squat! Don’t see that too often. Really fabulous job.

And so funny to me that while being so pleased with the 9 for 9 you are upset with not totaling 1500. Spoken like a true “never satisfied” competitive powerlifter.