Hardcore Essentials2

Tuesday’s Lifting(3/1/14) went well and training buddy showed up. Bodyweight is 208 lbs.

T-Handle Swings:
110 lbs x 20(btwn lifting sets-2 sets of 10)
165 lbs x 12(2 sets of 6 btwn lifting sets)

Squats:
135 x 10
225 x 5

Pause Squats(3 sec at bottom):
335 x 3 sets x 3 reps

Fat Gripz Bench Press:
135 x 10
185 x 5
205 x 3 x 5(pauses on last rep each set)

Overhead Standing Press:
135 x 5
165 x 3
215 x 1

All went well.

1 Like

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
Fat Gripz Bench Press:
135 x 10
185 x 5
205 x 3 x 5(pauses on last rep each set)

Overhead Standing Press:
135 x 5
165 x 3
215 x 1

[/quote]

Digging those fat grips! I love them for changing things up and making normal weights feel completely different (i.e. heavier).

Great work GV. Do you have a target on your weight? I’m sitting at 209 myself.

I’m in.

215 is a strong OHP, bench numbers should be ready to shoot up soon.

Hey Chris, I don’t have a target weight. It’s getting hot here and I’m eating like crazy trying to keep my calories up. I’m fairly lean and I would love to compete at the 205 weight category in June at an USAPL meet here in Orlando. I have competed in the 220 lbs category for years in Raw United and will continue to do so. Yeah those Fat Gripz are awesome implements. Thanks this is the first time in days I’ve had time to type for a minute on this forum.

I have a small lawn business and so when it gets warm here I lose weight and get a little ripped but my intention is only to powerlift and be strong at any weight. Preferably, I would like to be heavier and low body fat but just as strong and lighter is okay with me too.

A new log with same strong work. I’m liking it.

Hey Chris, I don’t have a target weight. It’s getting hot here and I’m eating like crazy trying to keep my calories up. I’m fairly lean and I would love to compete at the 205 weight category in June at an USAPL meet here in Orlando. I have competed in the 220 lbs category for years in Raw United and will continue to do so. Yeah those Fat Gripz are awesome implements. Thanks this is the first time in days I’ve had time to type for a minute on this forum.

I have a small lawn business and so when it gets warm here I lose weight and get a little ripped but my intention is only to powerlift and be strong at any weight. Preferably, I would like to be heavier and low body fat but just as strong and lighter is okay with me too.[/quote]

Well just keep doing whatever you’re doing coz it’s working BIG time. 215 OHP is massive. You’ll be double plating that lift soon enough…

I competed at 198 in my last meet but I doubt that will happen for June. I was training at 204/205 for my last meet but now I’m a steady 209/10. I really don’t want to risk cutting 12+ pounds given where my lifts are right now, would like to set some records this meet…

10 weeks out tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Chris, the body weight will most likely be a nice aid in helping you lift more. I’m looking forward to seeing some big you’ll post.

Thanks Dave and Crippler.

I have to note again that I have been so busy that I haven’t had a minute to post on any threads but the short one here and my wife and kids are beckoning so this will be concise.

Yesterday lifting was easy and light as it is meant to be this week.

T-Handle Swings:
110 lbs x 40 swings(btwn sets)

Safety Bar Squats:(Raw-ATG)
155 x 10
245 x 5
335 x 3 sets x 3 reps

Close Grip Bench Press:
135 x 10
185 x 5
225 x 3 x 3

Standing Crunches:
80 lbs x 15 reps

Easy and fast like my women in high school. Oh wow that was more than 20 years ago!

I’m fairly lean and I would love to compete at the 205 weight category in June at an USAPL meet here in Orlando. [/quote]
Weight class would be 198. You’re only going to get a 205 weight class at a USAPL national meet. Can you make the drop to 198?

kpsnap-The meet is June 12 here in Orlando at the airport which is about 6 miles from where I live so I am gunning to be there in the 220lbs class. I think it’s the Florida State Championship. That gives me about the perfect time to prepare for the meet.

Training tonight sans training buddy went well. I kept it short and sweet.

T-Handle Swings:

Squats:(ATG-RAW)
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 3
405 x 2
502 x 1(Used belt)

Fat Gripz Close Grip Floor Presses:
135 x 10
185 x 5
225 x 1
185 x 3 sets x 5 reps

Standing Crunches:
80 lbs x 15

Would have liked to do more on the floor presses but not bad for first night back after lunk break and tons of hard labor.

Solid…Ive realized that floor pressing is my favorite “benching” to do, especially close grip

June 12 should give you plenty of time to get dialed in.

June 12 should give you plenty of time to get dialed in.

I just counted it down and it turns out I only have 10 weeks to train before the meet in June.

I just counted it down and it turns out I only have 10 weeks to train before the meet in June.[/quote]

We’re on the same countdown. My meet is June 14. Interesting that yours is on a Thursday, I’ve never seen one during the week.

We can help inspire one another. What’s your goal for the meet?

Hold on there Chris, I think we are will be competing on the same day. My meet is on Saturday June 14th. I was mistaken before. It is a USAPL meet: The Central Florida Championship. It will be my first USAPL meet and I am kind of excited but nervous. So we will be training in tandem for our respective meets. I’ve decided to switch my training to Westside style starting next week because it is hard for me to gauge peaking while doing the hungarian style I have been doing. I think I will switch back to the hungarian style after the meet until I am ready to train for another meet.

My goals for the meet are to not get injured, to squat over 600, to bench over 300, and to deadlift over 600. I really want to break 1500 for this meet. I want to get back to 1600 or better in the next year which is where I was before I tore my right biceps.

Tonight the lifting was fast and furious.

T-Handle Swings:

Squats:(ATG-RAW!)
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 3
405 x 3

Fat Gripz Bench Press:
135 x 10
185 x 5
225 x 1
255 x 1

Standing Over Head Press:
135 x 5
165 x 3
217 lbs x 1

Taking the day of tomorrow to take my daughter to Disney for her birthday, that’s a whole different kind of training. My bench wasn’t feeling that great tonight but that’s how it goes. The OHP was very strong and I think I’ll have 225 going up soon.

Hope you enjoy the day…and great stuff in here GV…I’m sure you will crush 1500

Hold on there Chris, I think we are will be competing on the same day. My meet is on Saturday June 14th. I was mistaken before. It is a USAPL meet: The Central Florida Championship. It will be my first USAPL meet and I am kind of excited but nervous.

My goals for the meet are to not get injured, to squat over 600, to bench over 300, and to deadlift over 600. I really want to break 1500 for this meet. I want to get back to 1600 or better in the next year which is where I was before I tore my right biceps.

[/quote]

Those are AWESOME numbers. If I remember correctly, your meet will be streamed live on the internet. I was watching that meet last year as one of my teammates was supposed to be there but dropped out due to bicep issues as well.

1500 would be awesome! Are you lifting raw or in the single ply division? Bicep tears are a long recovery. How did you do it? Was it deadlifting?

Yeah, always raw lifting. I tore my biceps doing a dead lift with a fairly light weight for me at that time. I think the the tear happened because I was pushing myself so hard doing MMA training at the same time I was training for the meet and working like a monster in 90 degree heat every day. It’s been a learning experience.

Looking forward to following your next ten weeks. I am sure you will do well at the meet.

Looking forward to following your next ten weeks. I am sure you will do well at the meet.