Hardartery - Like Hypnotizing Chickens

Saturday 10/17
DB Floor Press
75 x 15 x 3 sets

Rear Flyes
75 x 8 x 3 sets

The Floor Press is really just cardio at this point, but I’m supposedly flying out Nov 2, so no point in getting heavier stuff. I’ve been doing work on the place I’ve been staying in, whic doesn’t help anythin. I ripped out the ceiling, rehung it after a crew of carpenters re-framed and sheeted the roof, and am trying to complete the finish on the sheetrock. I hate sheetrock. But, I’m down to touch-up and minor sanding of the touchups.

1 Like

Tuesday 10/20
PC & Strict Press
2 in front, 2 BTN, 1 in front go the presses.
135 x 1 set
185 x 6(?) sets, maybe 7

135 x 1 clean 5 BTN
At no point does any of this feel heavy, but man do I lack shoulder flexibility. I am just staying light until the shoulders stop fighting me, no rush.

1 Like

Thursday 10/22
Let’s start with the excuses. I went for a very long walk with the missus earlier and my back was complaining. I kind of had to push myself to get up and give it a go. And I did DB Hammer curls yesterday just to have done something, so the “Bro” vibes would have been artificially strong - messing with my aura and stuff.
Conventional DL
325 x 5 - dbl overhand
415 x 3 - mixed grip
505 x 1 - angry about this
605 x 2 x 2 sets - straps
625 x 1
505 x 5
Sumo DL
415 x 3 x 2 sets
Stopped there. the bar was sliding all over the place on the Sumos, it was a little dangerous so I stopped. No center knurl and I was using the straps, it became clear that I was liable to hurt myself if I went for another set.
***edited - I put the wrong number for the conventioal DL Top set.

4 Likes

U gonna do some volume work or just go full Westside and hit heavy singles

I don’t believe any of the volume hype. I have zero concern for hypertrophy, I’m too big already. That being said, there is method to the madness. I get on a plane Nov. 2 to go back to my normal life in Nicaragua, and I will not be able to take any of my current bars or DB’s or anything with me. I also will will not be able to go to the gym, so I’ll be down to the super limited equipment that I own there. I do not have 600lbs of plates and the bar is junk (I’d say cheap, but I paid way too much for it because nothing is available), so I’m going for it right now. I’ll be doing volume in November until I manage to find more weight. Which is sad, because what I’m doing is working really well and I would prefer to ride it out.

4 Likes

Saturday 10/24
DB Floor Press
75 x 15 x 4 sets

Flyes - floor, so not really full range
40 x 10 x 2 sets
75 x 3 x 2 sets

1 Like

Late reply. I was just in the Philippine for 10 months. Usually not a problem when I’m there but when they locked down they locked dow. Got back to the old push ups, pull ups, squat thrust, etc. Not going to keep the big lift strength but it felt a lot healther.

There is a gym like 3 blocks from the apartment in Nica. It has everything I need and it’s just over $10 a month. But, even if it’s open, I can’t go. I am on lockdown when I’m there atm. Just do my thing from the apartment - which I can do from anywhere with internet right now - but the place I’m crashing in in the US is going to be unavailable soon. Most aspects of my volunteer work are shutdown during the pandemic. The Phillipines is pretty wild. I have only been once, and it was for just over 2 weeks which is nothing - and I was totally being a tourist there. I don’t feel like I really saw it. One week was in Manila and the other was in a less touristy part on an island that I can’t think of the name of. There is a sacred island near it where an indigenous tribe is still running the island and the snorkelling was ridiculous. We did snorkelling tours for like $14 a day and it included lunch. And I learned that a “Rum Coke” there is mostly rum because rum is less expensive than Coke. I got a 12oz glass of Coke coloured rum for 90 cents - those circular staircases get tricky trying to come down from the second story restaurants after a few of those.

1 Like

Since you were in the province of Luzon it was probably the Igarot’s Island. Coming down from my house it’s about 100m to the beach. Do most of my swimming there. Head about 10k to the town of Subic for snorkling and some diving. Got several bars in the water about 50m out. Philippines doesn’t tax liqour, yet, so for us it’s really cheap.

It was Coron, but we were staying on Buswanga (sp?), we took a turboprop to get there.

Saturday 11/7
Been a while. jumped the hopes, negative for Covid on brain matter, back in the jungle of Managua now.
Screwing around with an attachment today. I picked up a collar with an eylet to do belt squats, and a dip belt to connect to it. No Landmine attachment, just using a corner outside.
2 plates x 8
4 plates x 8
6 plates x 10 x 2 sets
I am on blocks and getting close to parallel, but feeling zero in the posterior chain. Definitely feel it in the quads.

4 Likes

Wednesday 11/11
Clean and Press
clean, 1 press in front, 1 BTN = 1 rep
135 x 1 x 14 sets
135 x 6
Plate Raises - Side
25 x 12 x 3 sets
Super light, the shoulders didn’t loosen up until around rep 8 of the clean and press.

2 Likes

Friday 11/13
Floor Press
135 x 10
225 x 8 x 2 sets
225 x 10
First time ever for me for this exercise with a bar. I scrounged two 6" blocks, which get the bar just high enough for me to get under and pick. The bar gets roughly an inch from my chest with my elbows on the concrete and index fingers on the rings. Not quite a bench press depth, but gym bro close, lol.

Front Raises - plates
25 x 10 x 3 sets

Plate Curls
25 x 15

Reverse Grip Plate curls
25 x 10 x 2 sets

Getting back into it now, having to adjust to the heat again.

3 Likes

I posted something in a thread in that new forum. It is not there. It was, indeed, a bit of a flame, but not abusive. I am unsure if it was deleted or not. I hesitate to try posting anything in there again, that may have been my warning. Which is probably just as well. I think Darden is probably a nice enough old guy - even if I think everything in there is complete nonsense, it’s the worshippers that annoy me. You need hip waders to read through there.

1 Like

I was going to send you an email, but then noticed you posted this.

You are correct. The post was deleted. While not necessarily over-the-top, it was incendiary for the sake of being incendiary.

Sure, it’s totally fine to disagree with other training philosophies. But let’s keep it civil and constructive. If that’s too hard, just hang out on your side of the playground.

Also, remember that Dr. Darden is a good friend of Tim Patterson. You know, the guy who could shut this all down in a second.

Thanks!

Like I said, I think Darden is probably a nice old guy, and I wouldn’t deliberately pick on him. the other guy, well, it’s probably for the best that it got deleted.

Sunday 11/15
Clean and Press - one clean, one front press, one BTN = one rep
155 x 1 x 4 sets
155 x 3 x 4 sets

Going to try and pick up some more plates tomorrow so I can resume Deadlifting again. We’ll see. Iota is supposed to be a Cat 4 when it hits the coast around midnight, so we’ll see how much weather it throws over to this side of the country.

1 Like

Let the games begin

2 Likes

Family just went through 3 typhoons in 1.5 months in the PI. Hope all goes well there.

PI has it rough with that stuff. We just had a bunch of rain on this side, so all is fine.

3 Likes