Hardartery - Like Hypnotizing Chickens

Probably ok but may be hard to balance

I’m laying on a wood deck for these, sans bench, so balance is not my primary concern, lol.

Friday 9/25
DB Front Raises
75 x 6 x 3 sets

DB Side Raises
75 x 5 x 3 sets
Actually doing six for the side raises, but the first one is not full ROM so it doesn’t count.

1 Like

Then play on my friend

Many years ago worked out with a guy who’d use 45’s plus to do his flyes. Stick two of his fingers through the holes and do them. Palms up.

I might be there next go round. I was wondering if I could manage to edge grip bumpers like you would for plate curls. Should be double toxic - grip and pecs.

1 Like

Saturday 10/3
DB OHP
75 x 5 x 3 sets

DB Floor Press
75 x 10 x 3 sets

It’s been a very long week. I’ve basically been on the road all week. Had to run the wife across the state for a biopsy, which came back benign thankfully. The roof is currently off of the place where I was staying, I drove up there to rip out the ceiling and clean up the insulation. Someone else tore off the roof and framed in new trusses. Hopefully I hang the new ceiling Tuesday and I can settle back into a routine there until I manage a flight home. I really hate living out of a suitcase.

1 Like

Sunday 10/4
DB Side Raises
75 x 6 x 3 sets
These are getting easier, which is good

DB Front Raises
75 x 7 x 3 sets

2 Likes

Wednesday 10/7
I have a knot in my right quad that showed up on the second set, my lower back was complaining after the third set. I was not feeling it today at all, but it was good to get 515 no straps, no chalk. I used the stiffer bar today. At least I got 605 for one, that’s my consolation prize.
Deads
245 x 5 double overhand
335 x 3
425 x 3 mixed grip
515 x 2
605 x 1 straps
605 - miss
565 x 1
565 x 2

4 Likes

Saturday 10/10
DB Floor Press
75 x 13 x 4 sets

DB Reverse Flyes
75 x 7 x 3 sets

1 Like

Sunday 10/11
DB Bent Rows
75 x 13 x 3 sets

DB Curls
75 x 5 x 3 sets

DB Flyes - on the deck because I have no bench
40 x 10 x 3 sets

1 Like

Wednesday 10/14
DL - Conventional
245 x 5 - double overhand
335 x 3
425 x 3 - mixed grip
515 x 2
605 x 1 x 3 sets - straps
515 x 3

DL - Sumo
425 x 3 x 3 sets, barely got the last rep. It was an act of willpower, it really didn’t want to go.

4 Likes

Great progress on the deads mate. Been reading over your log, like the abbreviated appoarch. I know what ya mean with not wearing a belt on a conventional deadlifts, just doesnt feel right at all. I see these young guys coming into the gym these days, and before theyve even built an ounce of strength theyve got these huge thick belts on for lateral raises and curls lol.

Best
Rob

1 Like

Thanks. Covid and travel have meant that I am limited in equipment and therefore in exercise selection. Which is interesting, as it is making me do things I wouldn’t normally do, or at least not do the verion/way that I am doing them. It also means that because I have no access to a squat rack I am focussing on Deads for the first time in my life. At this speed, I will be above my Raw DL PR - lifetime. I did not expect as an old fart to ever hit some of those numbers again, but a Raw 650 is not far off and that is my actual PR with a bar and conventional plates. When I was competing I didn’t do PR’s, and I didn’t train in this low of a rep range or this heavy. I also very rarely pushed deads, as the Squat was my weakness and Deads just came for me.

2 Likes

Interesting. Have you noted any size gains or loss with the deadlift focus / not squatting? I stopped squatting and benching nearly two years ago, due to injuries, in favour of deadlifts and OHPs as key lifts, it’s ended up worked out in my favour.

Rob.

I am bigger than ever, I’m not sure if that’s good or not. I would probably be better off cutting to around 250-260, but so far it doesn’t seem to be happening for me. My chest is the biggest that it’s ever been, and somehow I am getting more vascular. I doubt that I am any less fat, but I am floating between 280 and 290 atm. My current workout is working in a lot of ways. When I was younger I did more volume, and was stronger. I had some health issues and didn’t lift at all for 2 years or so, after 3 or 4 years of not lifting seriously at all. I am responding to more weight, even if the reps aren’t beautiful initially. Like making jumps on Side Laterals because those are the weight that I have. the form sucked initially after every weight jump but it came around pretty quick. I am becoming less of a form Nazi.

Sounds like its working well for ya, especially after the layoffs. Not to make this about me (am just concurring), I also used more volume when I was younger, but these days I find high volume training impedes my recovery too much, maybe its an age thing lol. I prefer little (but intense) and often vs 3-4 long workouts per week like I used to do.
I hear what your saying with the load jumps, after a few workouts you begin to “own the weight”, a little body English does no harm at first.

Keep up the good work👍

No worries. I am doing things that I simply would not have tried when I was younger. Jumping to a 70lb DB and then a pair of 75’s for raises just would have screamed “Injury waiting to happen”, but instead I got massive rapid gains on those movements. Never to old to learn something by accident I guess.

Long may those rapid gainz continue👍.

1 Like

Friday 10/16
DB Side Raises
75 x 7 x 3 sets

DB Front Raises
75 x 6 x 3 sets

So, that’s the first time I’ve managed to do more reps on side raises than front. No idea what that’s about.

1 Like