T Nation

Hard to Avoid Lifting with Ego

I have started a routine that I plan to stay on for at least a year, it is a simple hypertrophy routine, five day split with 10 to 12 rep range, four sets per exercise and five exercises per day.

Problem is sometimes, even when the gym is empty, i feel myself having a problem with sticking at a weight I can lift for 10-12 and will end up dropping to seven to nine ranges and have to tell myself off, drop the weight and hit the desired range with perfect form.

From the short time I have been using a higher rep range I have noticed considerable gains, along with my first bulk which seems to have helped.

Was just wondering if anyone else struggles to stay disciplined in this regard?

After a few sets, you aren’t going to be able to use the same weight. That’s normal.

Well it’s not that, I end up adding weight because I feel like I should push myself more and then fail to rach my goal and get depressed, first world problems and all.

I think it is probably a good thing overall though, nothing worse than seeing some guy in the gym do sets of machine rows at 30 reps per set for 6 sets.

*probably are worse things.

I also shout a thousand out when I am doing bicep curls whenever a sexy lady walks past.

[quote]Chopatoua wrote:
I also shout a thousand out when I am doing bicep curls whenever a sexy lady walks past. [/quote]
It’s boring, but it’s my life

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Chopatoua wrote:
I also shout a thousand out when I am doing bicep curls whenever a sexy lady walks past. [/quote]
It’s boring, but it’s my life[/quote]

DING DING DING… My Bro detector is off the charts!

You stay classy

[quote]Chopatoua wrote:
Well it’s not that, I end up adding weight because I feel like I should push myself more and then fail to rach my goal and get depressed, first world problems and all.

I think it is probably a good thing overall though, nothing worse than seeing some guy in the gym do sets of machine rows at 30 reps per set for 6 sets.

*probably are worse things.

Then stop adding weight. This is a pretty simple issue to fix. I would suggest you use some kind of built in progression in your program. That will be much better than just guessing weights.

OP do you seriously shout that out? lol

What I have personally noticed is, those guys in the gym who lift with an ego almost always get taken over by the guy with good form, who took his time; Mind-Muscle. They also tend to be the show skinny abs or top heavy guy who curls in the squat rack.

Are you at the gym to make a change to how you look or are you there to find a date? Leave the gym for the gains and the clubs for the date.

When I first started out my friend drummed this into me “it’s how you lift, not what you lift” and I have continued to pass it on to my younger brothers.

It’s just advice that all it is… you can do whatever the FUCK! you wanna do.

[quote]TrapsLatsnHat wrote:
OP do you seriously shout that out? lol

What I have personally noticed is, those guys in the gym who lift with an ego almost always get taken over by the guy with good form, who took his time; Mind-Muscle. They also tend to be the show skinny abs or top heavy guy who curls in the squat rack.

Are you at the gym to make a change to how you look or are you there to find a date? Leave the gym for the gains and the clubs for the date.

When I first started out my friend drummed this into me “it’s how you lift, not what you lift” and I have continued to pass it on to my younger brothers.

It’s just advice that all it is… you can do whatever the FUCK! you wanna do.[/quote]

Yeah as I said I have been doing higher rep and set ranges and less weight, feels great and seeing results, I just struggle because I feel I am bitching out, when in reality I am just sticking to optimal hypertrophy range.

I do whatever the fuck bodybuilding magazines tell me to do… and jimmy down the street recommends 30 sets of bicep rack curls 4 days a week, might give it a try, him and tyrone getting mad gains… all kinds.

Just do the first lift 5x5 “ego” lifting and the rest with high reps. -a very tried and tested formula.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Just do the first lift 5x5 “ego” lifting and the rest with high reps. -a very tried and tested formula.[/quote]

I may try this in the gym tomorrow.

Also I need advice on rep ranges for calves, I can do 50 reps for my calves at the weight I can do 10 for quads, should I up the weight so I can only do 10 reps for calves or burn them out at mega high reps?

Always hear about high reps for calves.

[quote]Chopatoua wrote:

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Just do the first lift 5x5 “ego” lifting and the rest with high reps. -a very tried and tested formula.[/quote]

I may try this in the gym tomorrow.

Also I need advice on rep ranges for calves, I can do 50 reps for my calves at the weight I can do 10 for quads, should I up the weight so I can only do 10 reps for calves or burn them out at mega high reps?

Always hear about high reps for calves.

[/quote]
If calves respond normally then the general recommendation is 5x 15-20reps. If they’re stubborn thats a different story