Hard Time Putting On Muscle

I joined a gym back in December and have been going since, so that’s about 6 proper months of lifting- am I still a total beginner? When I joined, someone who worked there put together a lifting programme for me, which I did 3-4 times per week (a total body routine.)

However, I didn’t gain a single pound of muscle when following this programme. I changed it after a couple of months to my own programme- a 5-day one, training each bodypart once a week I’ve done this for about 2 months, and have gained about 1lb of muscle, and a couple of pounds of fat (on a 2800 cal diet.)

Even so, it’s more progress than I saw when following the full-body one. Should I totally change my routine to one of less than 5 days (I want to hit the gym really no less than 4 times a week)?? Or maybe could my new rotuine be more effective if I lowered the volume of it and just ate more?

[quote]watermelon_2001 wrote:
I joined a gym back in December and have been going since, so that’s about 6 proper months of lifting- am I still a total beginner? When I joined, someone who worked there put together a lifting programme for me, which I did 3-4 times per week (a total body routine.)

However, I didn’t gain a single pound of muscle when following this programme. I changed it after a couple of months to my own programme- a 5-day one, training each bodypart once a week I’ve done this for about 2 months, and have gained about 1lb of muscle, and a couple of pounds of fat (on a 2800 cal diet.)

Even so, it’s more progress than I saw when following the full-body one. Should I totally change my routine to one of less than 5 days (I want to hit the gym really no less than 4 times a week)?? Or maybe could my new rotuine be more effective if I lowered the volume of it and just ate more? [/quote]

Dude, it’s your DIET! 1 pound of muscle in 2 months is pathetic. As a beginner, at your weight, gaining 1 lb a week would be normal. Every single response you have had told you you’re not eating enough, so eat more, and don’t worry about the routine.

[quote]watermelon_2001 wrote:

Even so, it’s more progress than I saw when following the full-body one. Should I totally change my routine to one of less than 5 days (I want to hit the gym really no less than 4 times a week)?? Or maybe could my new rotuine be more effective if I lowered the volume of it and just ate more? [/quote]

Yes, you are still a total beginner. You need to gain more than 1 lb to become advanced. Whether you are a beginner or not has more to do with your mindset and if you understand the requisites to reach and the general process. I can sense you don’t have it. Yet.

I don’t know how you could have gained 1lb of muscle and a few pounds of fat. Did you get your bodyfat tested?

Your calories are way too low, and until you change that you will not get a surpluss that will lead to muscle gain and fat storage.

Read what Tboz said in his last post and let it sink in. He bulked from 240-280. There is no way in hell you can do that without putting on an good amount of fat as well. But he made his mind to deal with it later. Will you?