Hard Plateau. Am I Stuck?

So let me start out by saying I started out off and on lifting since I was about 18 but nothing serious. Recently, about six months ago, I started going to the gym again. I have been doing a ppl split the whole time. I am not dieting at all. I am 28 years of age and stand at 6ft 240lbs, per last weigh in. My current weight on compound lifts are as follows:
Bench: 225 (3-4x6-8)
BB Squat: 225 (5x5)
Deadlift: 225 (5x5)
OHP: 65 (3x10-12) Bad shoulder.
Now I have not gone for a one rep max in any of my lifts nor do I care about my one rep max.

Current plan is.
Push, pull, legs, rest and repeat. No cardio.
I don’t care too much about looks, just want to put on as much size and strength as possible without the use of PEDs (for now haha)

Now, my concern is, that I’ve platued in strength and in size. Now I can see where a strict diet plays a roll in size, but strength too? Am I not seeing any more results simply because I’m not eating correctly? Or is it my routine? Does it need a change up or do I need to start a completely new plan?

Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated.

You didn’t plateau and you’re not stuck, at least not genetically speaking. What program are you running and what does your diet look like?

240 at 6ft with 6 months of serious training makes me think you’ve got some fat to lose too, am i correct here?

How can we possibly answer your question when you haven’t given any details about your diet or routine?

Or what constitutes a “bad shoulder?” This could mean a million things, including “bad thoracic mobility and unwilling to address it.”

1 Like

Fix this

How are you eating?

Instant Plateau fix:

5x5 is 25 total reps. You’re doing 225 for 5x5. Cool.

Next workout, use 230lbs. Do 5 sets. Let’s say it ends up like this

2x5x230
1x4x230
2x3x230

That’s a total of 20 reps. You owe 5 more.

Do as many sets as it takes to get to 25 total reps.

Next workout: get it done in fewer sets.

When you can do it in 5 sets: up the weight.

NEVER stall. NEVER plateau. ALWAYS do SOMETHING more than last time, no matter what. The body won’t change if there’s no demand to do so.

5 Likes

I’m doing a push pull legs split with a day off after each cycle. I’m not on any type of diet. I’d say I eat around 3kcal a day, give or take. And yes, I do have some fat mainly around my midsection but not totally concerned with how much I have or how I look.

My first in non existent.
As for routine, I do push: bb bench, shoulder press machine, tricep extension, later shoulder movements, tricep press down and incline bb bench.
Pull: pretty much just do the three lat machines provided, face pulls, cable cross overs and a bicep workout to finish.
Legs: squat, leg extensions, leg curls, abduction machine, single leg leg press.
I reach for 3-4 sets of 10-12 for any accessory movement

Yes it is.

Bad shoulder is a mobility issue, yes. And I have been doing rehab for it

1 Like

What is your progression scheme for main movements and accessories? When do you move up in weights? Why so many working sets on accessory movements when one or two working sets could do the same?

I’d be looking at this before most other things.
Protein: 1g/lb BW
Fats: 0.3g/lb BW
Carbs to fill the rest to maintenance, -500 for cut, +500 for bulk.

1 Like

I just up the weight when I feel comfortable alenough to perform the movement in a slow and controlled manor. I was just following what I was told/showed.

You will find that the process of getting bigger and stronger is going to involve more time feeling UNCOMFORTABLE than comfortable.

You reach BEYOND your current self in order to achieve more than what you are.

1 Like

Mixture of eating out and cooking. Mainly eating out. Home cooked meals consist mainly of beef or chicken and a lot of steamed rice with a side of veggies. Lots of eggs, overnight oats and bagels.

Even if I can only do one rep? I seem to get fatigued pretty quick on my squats. Lack of cardio I assume.

Yes: it sounds like you’re in bad shape.

Indeed I am.
Is there a specific program that would help me reach my goals? Is the push, pull, legs split enough? I guess I’m in need of a more structure and guidance than I thought.

By chance, did you click the link I shared with you?

I did. So I would incorporate one or the other, of the gpp plans, on my rest days.

Could also be done on training days. That’s when I prefer.

As for plans, there are a whole BUNCH in the articles here. I feel like any of them would be fine choices. I like 5/3/1 myself.

1 Like

This isn’t a routine, it’s a list of exercises. I suggest looking up a beginner program and following it.

Your problem is your program… namely that you’re not following one.

1 Like

Serious question: why are people now so against following a prewritten program?

1 Like

I think if we knew the answer to that there’d be alot more ripped people walking the earth.

1 Like