T Nation

Hard Labor Job

hey all been lurking for awhile finally decided to post a question that has been bugging me for awhile now.

first off how many of you have hard labor jobs?I myself am a maintenance mechanic at a steel mill lots of lifting and tons of walking around.That brings me to my second question(yes i know i said one but what can ya do?)any tips on gaining lean mass?

i have been lifting for quite sometime now eating like a fucking horse (3500-4,000 cal a day)my lifts are pretty much compounds with cardio 3x a week i have gained some mass 3 years ago i was 145 now i am around 180 about 15 percent body fat trying to bring the fat down and gain some clean size for lack of a better word any suggestions are welcome

I used to build radiator cores for a living. Thankfully, now I dont. But when I was building radiators, I made some of the best gains of my life. The job always made me hungry and there was nothing in sight that I couldnt devour.

I would ditch the idea of loosing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. It takes a lot of dedication and it’s a 2 step forwards, 1 step backwards game.

I am the worker of the market, that is the difficult cashier because of fear of the burglar who works. As for me presently solving, as for worry you prohibit my profit in terms of muscular lumps.

[quote]Chang_Lee wrote:
I am the worker of the market, that is the difficult cashier because of fear of the burglar who works. As for me presently solving, as for worry you prohibit my profit in terms of muscular lumps.[/quote]

Haha

What?

I work four ten hour shifts at a machine shop, I’m a saw technician and work from Mon. - Thurs., from 4:30pm until 3am. All I do is walk, pick up heavy bar of steel/aluminum(sometimes, luckily, plastic) and cut it up, put it back and repeat over and over again all night.

Right before this year started I decided I was going to join a 24/7 gym in my town and work out when I got off work and alternate on weekends. I did, gained more mass than I’ve ever had, in order to do so I had to gain fat.

I’ve been cutting down in light of warm, shirtless season. At first I started it with one cycle of HOT-ROX and I changed my diet drastically. I pretty much consume gardens of fruits and veggies, and normally during work days I consume two cans of lean chicken. The two cans of chicken alone give me 132 grams of protein and only 12 grams of fat!

I only drink water, unsweeted green tea, 100% fruit juice; and when I wake up, and at the end of workouts have my Metabolic Drive protein shake with whole milk. Recently I’ve been enjoying this baddass organic cereal called Optimum Rebound, which has bananas, flax seed flakes, almonds, and matcha green tea(whatever that is). 10 grams of protein per each 3/4 cup.

At my heaviest I was probably 155(still small I know, but you’re talking to a guy who weighed 118 in highschool) and now I’m around 135 and looking better than I’ve ever looked in my life. I owe it all hard work and my low fat, good carb, high protein diet.

After summer is done I plan on eating and lifting megatons; My goal is to get up to a shredded 170lbs. I think that weight will fit my 5’6" pretty well.

I spend my summers at UPS as a packer (loading the trucks), and, last summer, was able to make gains during that 4 month period. So, it definitely isn’t impossible.

Fast food is your friend during this period, as you need all the calories you can get - not just to keep putting on weight, but to have enough energy to get to the gym after work, as well. The good thing about this type of work is that with a slight tweak of the diet here and there, any excessive fat you put on will be stripped off pretty quickly.

Also, jdrannin1 is correct when he says forget about adding muscle/losing fat at the same time. At your level, I would focus on gaining some muscle. You should definitely keep eating like a horse with a focus on lifting heavy (read: heavy!) and striving to always up your numbers.

You don’t need the cardio with your lifting, as your daily job burns enough kcals, as is.

I’m gearing up for another summer of work, with some landscaping thrown in for shits and giggles (and scratch). So let’s see how we can do, aye?

thanks for the input guys.one thing i forgot to mention is it is a second shift job so my sleep isnt always optimal.considering i have family obligations and an assload of other things to do besides working out and work.
i figured i would have burned alot of calories the way we move at work but i just cant kill that damnded belly.you guys have some good suggestions sparked a few ideas in my nugget.just getting a bit frustrated but hey that wahts this board is fore right?speak and see what others have to say.

When i worked on-site lifting plasterboard for the plasterers ALL day, up and down stairs, across site 3, 4, or 5 at a time, i was training 6x a week… that soon ended! I overtrained in the first week.

Once i dropped my sessions down to 3 - 4 a week, no cardio, and ate regularly, but clean - WW pasta, Tuna, Veggies, Whey, Beans etc… i got in the best shape aesthetically ever! Just about 8% and that looked ripped on me, and i piled on some decent muscle to boot… But it was just eating well, working and training and it happened… so no “tips?” for you! Or are there?

Sorry!

Joe

i guess i am just unlucky and have to deal with my gut for now but i am not giving up just gona clean up my diet some tweak it up and see what happens.thank guys

What about doing a lot of bodyweight exercises like pull-ups and dips. I think they are useful because they not only add strength but burn up a lot of calories too.

Hi mate. Im posting off topic at the moment on quitting bodybuilding.Its called ‘eating chocolate with no guilt’.

But I’m compelled to help you out here. This is a conundrum I faced when i was younger and my obsessive nature said to me just go quit and find a job that fitted better with training. Don’t do that whatever any bufoon on here says. It leads to un healthy slippery slope. I’ve now seen error of my ways. I again work in manual work, just use it like a long hard cardio session, burnining calories up. Eat lots more food. Fish oils and tons of veggies. Your body will have to adapt. Lift short and heavy. Forget direct arm work. Let your work and weighted chins, dips pressing and deadlifting take care of them. Your still vey small, so dont get wrapped up in supplements, super routines or whatever. Train only 2 or three days a week, and make sure you start a cycle with a comfortable weight to use and hit reps maybe 5x5. Then build up weight very gradually over months and months. small increments. good luck

I’m a journeyman construction worker. Frame or die baby! Hating every moment of it recently. I can’t wait to get me a cush pansy job soon.

[quote]eddiegreaser wrote:
hey all been lurking for awhile finally decided to post a question that has been bugging me for awhile now.

first off how many of you have hard labor jobs?I myself am a maintenance mechanic at a steel mill lots of lifting and tons of walking around.That brings me to my second question(yes i know i said one but what can ya do?)any tips on gaining lean mass?

i have been lifting for quite sometime now eating like a fucking horse (3500-4,000 cal a day)my lifts are pretty much compounds with cardio 3x a week i have gained some mass 3 years ago i was 145 now i am around 180 about 15 percent body fat trying to bring the fat down and gain some clean size for lack of a better word any suggestions are welcome[/quote]

Something else… you are gaining fat in that job, bnot so much because of the calories, although they may be high enough to cause that, but i am willing to bet you eat alot of shit don’t you, sugar and fat together GUARANTEES fat storage, did you know that? Sugar in large doses stops fat from being burnt too… even if you are not eating more calories than you burn, eating excess sugar and fats can and will cause fat storage.

Da-daaaahh! Eat better!! :wink:

Joe

[quote]azza30 wrote:
Hi mate. Im posting off topic at the moment on quitting bodybuilding.Its called ‘eating chocolate with no guilt’.

But I’m compelled to help you out here. This is a conundrum I faced when i was younger and my obsessive nature said to me just go quit and find a job that fitted better with training. Don’t do that whatever any bufoon on here says. It leads to un healthy slippery slope. I’ve now seen error of my ways. I again work in manual work, just use it like a long hard cardio session, burnining calories up. Eat lots more food. Fish oils and tons of veggies. Your body will have to adapt. Lift short and heavy. Forget direct arm work. Let your work and weighted chins, dips pressing and deadlifting take care of them. Your still vey small, so dont get wrapped up in supplements, super routines or whatever. Train only 2 or three days a week, and make sure you start a cycle with a comfortable weight to use and hit reps maybe 5x5. Then build up weight very gradually over months and months. small increments. good luck[/quote]

Don’t listen to a word this idiot says.

actually i was eating tons of garbage for about 1.5 years i have cleaned my diet up alot in the past year.lots more healthy foods and almost no garbage i have cut out soda and sugary things.i have noticed that has helped alot. i am currently doing a 5x5 hybrid style routine.i think alot of this extra fat was do to my dirty bulk.

as i said i noticed cleaning up the diet helped alot about for months ago i was 200 lbs at a 20 percent body fat(thanks powerlifting buddies) i have gained alot of strength just not as "cut " as i would like to be.i thank all who have given their input.i know that the change in diet wil help tremendously

also i have not only been lifting for the past 3 years that is just when i got back into it due to a car wreck so i have a decent base of knowledge.but i am always willing to learn more and hear from others who have done wht i am trying to acheive.once you atop trying to learn is when you truly become an idiot.that pertains to anything in life

I’m an apprentice electrician. It’s dedication, but I get up at 4:30 to stretch, drive to my gym that opens at 5, train for an hour+, shit, shower, shave and off to work. I pack my own and leave the grease truck to the (quoting Chris Shugart) “Death-nuts”.

I have been making gains, I can’t wait to take pictures to display.