T Nation

Hard Boiled Eggs

So I’ve been a big fan of hard-boiled eggs since I’ve started eating 7-8 times a day. They travel easily, they’re tasty, and they’re cheap. But, according to www.nutritiondata.com, a single hard boiled egg contains 212 mg of cholesterol - which seems to me like an awful lot.

Am I looking at this wrong? Is cholesterol just established in my head as a negative? Could this be helped by not eating the yolk?

Its not bad and dietary CHO has been shown to have little to no effect on t=your levels. High carb intake is much worse on CHO levels

Phill

Like Phill said, in general, you shouldn’t need to worry about it.

However, if your doctor is advising you to avoid certain foods due to some type of condition, the rules change.

Hard boiled eggs are great! Just this morning I boiled up four of them, peeled and chopped them, then added plenty of salt, pepper and butter. Good stuff! The only thing missing was toast…

I pity the people that have to or choose to avoid salt, butter, eggs and other awesome foods.

I like to pickle them. Great snack for when I wake up in the middle of the night.

OK, awesome. Thanks, fellas.

I don’t mean to h/j this thread but yesterday i tried to microwave some eggs and the stuff exploded in my microwave…could anyone who has done this before tell me what i’m doing wrong and how long i should leave them in the microwave this time…

[quote]F0rG3tNikeDoMe wrote:
I don’t mean to h/j this thread but yesterday i tried to microwave some eggs and the stuff exploded in my microwave…could anyone who has done this before tell me what i’m doing wrong and how long i should leave them in the microwave this time…[/quote]

I’ve never heard of microwaving eggs but would imagine it would be tough as the shell surrounds a liquid that would expand as it is heated and evaporate to a gas, both putting pressure on the shell and causing it to explode.

I’m not sure how you would get around that unless you poke a hole in the top of the shell.

you could try lowering the cooking level too, maybe it will cook the contents at a temp that doesn’t cause too much swelling or evaporation.

I believe eggs is mostly HDL Cholesterol no? That’s the good cholesterol.

As far as the microwave. I don’t think it’s a good idea to nuke whole eggs. You can scramble and put them in a bowl, (not good tasting at all) or put them in a bowl of water first and bring that to a boil.