Hard Body Training for Women - Pull-ups/DLs?

Hello,

I’m planning to start the Hard Body Training for Women program while on deployment, but had a few questions on modifications:

1. Where would you recommend incorporating pull-ups (either in addition or as a substitute)? One of my goals is to increase my pull-ups. I’m currently at 7, and would like to get to 20 one day. It seems that I could replace lat pulldowns with pull-ups, but I’m currently doing pull-ups 3x week and seeing gains with that frequency- would you recommend adding them anywhere else?

2. Curious, what’s the reasoning behind leaving deadlifts out of the program? Would it be unwise if I added them in once a week?

Thanks for that article BTW, it’s the first workout I’ve seen after lurking on the site for awhile that I feel like I can actually try/generally fits my goals!

[quote]RCKeeper wrote:
Hello,

I’m planning to start the Hard Body Training for Women program while on deployment, but had a few questions on modifications:

1. Where would you recommend incorporating pull-ups (either in addition or as a substitute)? One of my goals is to increase my pull-ups. I’m currently at 7, and would like to get to 20 one day. It seems that I could replace lat pulldowns with pull-ups, but I’m currently doing pull-ups 3x week and seeing gains with that frequency- would you recommend adding them anywhere else?

2. Curious, what’s the reasoning behind leaving deadlifts out of the program? Would it be unwise if I added them in once a week?

Thanks for that article BTW, it’s the first workout I’ve seen after lurking on the site for awhile that I feel like I can actually try/generally fits my goals![/quote]

1. Start every workout with 20 pull ups. Take as many sets as necessary to get there, but try to to it in less time over all… I recommend not going to failure… so instead of doing something like 7, rest 2 minutes 5, rest 2 minutes, 5, rest 2 minutes, 3… do something like 4/ rest 30 sec/4 rest 30 sec/4/rest 30 sec/4 /rest 45 sec/4… over time try to finish them in less time by reducing rest intervals.

2. I’ve never seen deadlifts as a great way to build an aesthetic physique, especially in women (which is the original target population) and rarely use them with my figure athletes. However my crossfit girls use it. I see nothing wrong with doing it once a week to non-limit levels.

Makes sense, I appreciate the advice! Thanks for the quick response too.