Happy Pills - Advice Needed

For recreation - ???
you are complete and total FOOL!

(I wanted to be a LOT ruder than that but I couldn’t find an appropriate swear word that suited your lack of intellect, perhaps others could help me with some suggestions for you…?)

Yeah, have a lot of fun with that serotonin withdrawal.

I had ssri withdrawl. it was not that unpleasant. i spaced out bad all the time for a week. kind of just a little like being on weak salvia. it was not so severe since i was only on 15mgs

I used to be very against anti-depressants and similar drugs, but after taking some for about a month so far I can’t begin to tell you how much they have helped me. if you doctor is telling you to take them I would reccomment at least trying it. Side effects suck but the benefits for me way out-wieghed the nausea and what not.

edit - just noticed you want them for recreation. Fucking stupid, don’t even consider it. Won’t do you any good whatsoever.

By the way, I started a “feel good” supplement thread if anyone here would like to contribute:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2273844

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

I want some. Do they really work?

What does it feel like? I want just a couple of happy days in a row.

[/quote]

Vinpocetine helps. A regular regimen of Piracetam also works. Both drugs increase blood flow to the brain.

Since I began these, my retention of facts has increased and my processing of info has accelerated. I also no longer want to firebomb Iran, so lots of benes!!

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

Vinpocetine helps. A regular regimen of Piracetam also works. Both drugs increase blood flow to the brain.

Since I began these, my retention of facts has increased and my processing of info has accelerated. I also no longer want to firebomb Iran, so lots of benes!!
[/quote]

You meet the craziest people on this site. Firebomb Iran? You wanted to firebomb a whole country? I don’t like Iran either but that’s crazy.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

[/quote]

gracias HH, I am actually thinking of looking into these things.

If you have very severe depression, antidepressants probably won’t help. If your life sucks for a good reason, “happy pills” won’t make you happy. That’s why they aren’t drugs of abuse.

If you think they will help, then by all means, give them a whirl. I wouldn’t let anyone talk you into thinking that they are guaranteed to work, even if you keep trying different antidepressants. I honestly think it’s a delaying tactic for people with mild, transient depression.

You know how they say in commercials how antidepressants help alleviate depression? They really have no clue. The side effects of these drugs, like the sexual side effects, are because of the serotonin activity of the drug. They start to “work” immediately on serotonin receptors, and yet they take around 6-8 weeks to “help.”

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

[/quote]

if you want more blood in your brain then why not sleep upside down? that does not sound like how drugs work, it sounds like chinese “medicine”

[quote]eremesu wrote:
if you want more blood in your brain then why not sleep upside down? that does not sound like how drugs work, it sounds like chinese “medicine”[/quote]

I think the key term is “blood flow.” I imagine it increases perfusion in the brain. Being upside down makes blood go to your head, but it hangs around there and makes you feel funny.

Plus, you can’t show up at a class and hang upside down to help your concentration. At least, most of the professors I’ve had wouldn’t have gone for that.

Why was the CBT idea so bad? There aren’t any adverse side effects and it’s at least as effective as SSRIs for mild to moderate depression.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
Why was the CBT idea so bad? There aren’t any adverse side effects and it’s at least as effective as SSRIs for mild to moderate depression. [/quote]

cbt insists that the depressed persons problem is that they arent cheery enough and they try to make a person see things more positively. how they do that i dont know.

The psychology textbooks did not mention the exact steps and the therapists i have been to were clueless with this procedure, in fact at first mention of depression they admited they were not confident with treatment. therapy exists on the assumption that i am not aware of how i think, which is true for some people, but not for me. it is as everybody thinks, paying a person to tell you the obvious

[quote]eremesu wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:
Why was the CBT idea so bad? There aren’t any adverse side effects and it’s at least as effective as SSRIs for mild to moderate depression.

cbt insists that the depressed persons problem is that they arent cheery enough and they try to make a person see things more positively. how they do that i dont know.

The psychology textbooks did not mention the exact steps and the therapists i have been to were clueless with this procedure, in fact at first mention of depression they admited they were not confident with treatment.

Therapy exists on the assumption that i am not aware of how i think, which is true for some people, but not for me. it is as everybody thinks, paying a person to tell you the obvious[/quote]

The fact that the therapists you went to were not confident about the treatment being delivered is perhaps a sign that they weren’t qualified to be administering CBT, not that CBT doesn’t work.

And you’re understanding of CBT, from what you’ve said in this thread, doesn’t really seem to be all that strong, so I’m not sure if you even know what it really is.

What if you went to a trainer, asking for advice, and they were “not confident” about weight lifting being an effective way to build muscle?

[quote]eremesu wrote:
[/quote]

This is not an accurate representation. CBT insists that human beings are capable of thinking about our thoughts, and that if we are made aware of how we think, we can treat that thinking like a behavior and modify it.

That is, certain thoughts are habitual; in depression, the thoughts are negative. The idea is to recognize these negative thoughts as they erupt into consciousness and counter them with better, realistic thoughts. But CBT is a big field with many differing schools of thought.

Not that I am sold on CBT.

You go to a therapist and tell me different. i still stand that only an oblivious person will benefit. my understanding of cbt is not much more defecient than a therapists becauses psychology is made up

Why not?

I’m not sure what the benefit of CBT is really. I mean, if I’m having a real bad spell and can’t get laid for the life of me, I can stop negative thinking and blaming myself, “Oh, I’m a loser and I don’t have such-and-such positive quality,” but I’m still not getting laid.

It still seems to come down to sucking it up, buckling down and taking control of your own life. Hey, thanks Mr. $150/hour, I needed to pay you money for that valuable advice.

My experience with prescription drugs has been short but miserable. My experience with explosive cocktails of mindbending amazingness cocktail pill fusion drugs has been short, but fullfilling.

Do you really think a doctor is qualified to give advice on inner peace?

Next time, before you post, seek advice from an established drug-dealer.

www.erowid.org

just use their search function.