T Nation

Happy Birthday, Finland!


The land of a thousand lakes. Well actually 187,888 lakes…

Today is Independence Day here in Finland. 89 years of independence after around 800 years of foreign dominance. She had a few close calls, but got this far. So here is to another 89 years and many more, my beloved Fatherland!

Oi maamme, Suomi, synnyinmaa,
soi, sana kultainen!
Ei laaksoa, ei kukkulaa,
ei vetta rantaa rakkaampaa,
kuin kotimaa taa pohjoinen,
maa kallis isien!

  • POC

Happy 4th of July!

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:
Oi maamme, Suomi, synnyinmaa,
soi, sana kultainen!
Ei laaksoa, ei kukkulaa,
ei vetta rantaa rakkaampaa,
kuin kotimaa taa pohjoinen,
maa kallis isien![/quote]

Did you spill a drink in your keyboard?

[quote]pookie wrote:
PredatorOC wrote:
Oi maamme, Suomi, synnyinmaa,
soi, sana kultainen!
Ei laaksoa, ei kukkulaa,
ei vetta rantaa rakkaampaa,
kuin kotimaa taa pohjoinen,
maa kallis isien!

Did you spill a drink in your keyboard?
[/quote]

That is the first part of our national anthem, you evil, eeeeevil Canadian!

Hitler was a Canadian!

  • POC

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:
That is the first part of our national anthem, you evil, eeeeevil Canadian![/quote]

How many Ks are there in Finnish Scrabble?

Yeah, he was in charge of those Toronto beaches.

[quote]pookie wrote:
PredatorOC wrote:
That is the first part of our national anthem, you evil, eeeeevil Canadian!

How many Ks are there in Finnish Scrabble?
[/quote]

We don’t play evil canadian games like Scrabble over here.

  • POC

Happy B-day you potato eating fools.

I knew a Finnish foreign exchange student years ago. She was smokin’ hot. Being in Oklahoma, her name of Yoanna was changed to Joanna then then to…

Jo Bob

:wink:

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:

Oi maamme, Suomi, synnyinmaa,
soi, sana kultainen!
Ei laaksoa, ei kukkulaa,
ei vetta rantaa rakkaampaa,
kuin kotimaa taa pohjoinen,
maa kallis isien!

  • POC[/quote]

Wasn’t that originally written in Swedish?

Happy birthday to the home of the fish-slapping song and many, many very strong fellows.

I gotta respect any country that plays hockey the way Finns do! …That being an entertaining style, just not quite as good as us! :slight_smile:

And it doesn’t hurt that Koivu (Habs captain) is from Finland.

I was in Helsinki for about 10 days a few years ago. Great place. Have some reindeer and vodka for me.

It’s a celebration bitches!!

Good job sticking it to The Man. :slight_smile:

[quote]TQB wrote:
PredatorOC wrote:

Oi maamme, Suomi, synnyinmaa,
soi, sana kultainen!
Ei laaksoa, ei kukkulaa,
ei vetta rantaa rakkaampaa,
kuin kotimaa taa pohjoinen,
maa kallis isien!

  • POC

Wasn’t that originally written in Swedish?
[/quote]

Yeah, but that version sucks. Swedish just isn’t as beautiful as Finnish.

Besides, we have better curse words. Like PERKELE! Apparently it was the name of the main god in the old finnish religion. After christianity came, it was construed to mean the devil. So it became everyones favorite curseword. You need to roll the r heavily to get the full effect. Examples follow:


http://youtube.com/watch?v=oZSMENIUv3Y

And I would like to point out that this is NOT the way to curse in Finnish:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ebsbeQfjN5o

Its bordering on blasphemy to curse in Finnish without the right attitude. And not even a single ‘perkele’! You need to have at least one perkele!

So here is a rebuttal by some long-haired hippie:

  • POC

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
I gotta respect any country that plays hockey the way Finns do! …That being an entertaining style, just not quite as good as us! :)[/quote]

We just let you guys win to improve your self-esteem. We are so nice…

  • POC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2hQdFawg6E&NR

Here is what the first part of the national anthem sounds like. At least when sung by someone who knows how to sing. Obviously is sounds different when sung at 4 am by heavily intoxicated individuals…

  • POC

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
I gotta respect any country that plays hockey the way Finns do! …That being an entertaining style, just not quite as good as us! :slight_smile:

We just let you guys win to improve your self-esteem. We are so nice…

  • POC[/quote]

That’s OK with me! I look forward to Canada having an improved self-esteem at the upcoming World Junior Championships.

Well happy Finn Day!!! Now go make your country proud and get pissed and do something you’ll be glad you forgot in the morning. :slight_smile:

The only question about this day is, is our eurovision singing contest winner going to show up at the presidents “party”.

[quote]ssplit wrote:
The only question about this day is, is our eurovision singing contest winner going to show up at the presidents “party”.
[/quote]

I hope not. I’m not a fan of Lordi, but going there without his costume would be a big sellout. Just to attend some fancy schmancy party.

As a nation, we really need bigger problems to worry about…

  • POC

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:
TQB wrote:
PredatorOC wrote:

Oi maamme, Suomi, synnyinmaa,
soi, sana kultainen!
Ei laaksoa, ei kukkulaa,
ei vetta rantaa rakkaampaa,
kuin kotimaa taa pohjoinen,
maa kallis isien!

  • POC

Wasn’t that originally written in Swedish?

Yeah, but that version sucks. Swedish just isn’t as beautiful as Finnish.

Besides, we have better curse words. Like PERKELE! Apparently it was the name of the main god in the old finnish religion. After christianity came, it was construed to mean the devil. So it became everyones favorite curseword. You need to roll the r heavily to get the full effect. Examples follow:

  • POC[/quote]

Ha! My father used to say PERKELE all the time when he was pissed!

Brings back memories.

[quote]TC wrote:
Ha! My father used to say PERKELE all the time when he was pissed!

Brings back memories.

[/quote]

Hey TC, do you speak any Finnish?