T Nation

Happy Belated Tax Freedom Day!

You are now officially, on average, working for yourselves rather than for the government.

Tax Freedom Day? to Arrive April 17 in 2005

Washington, D.C.?

Tax Freedom Day? falls on April 17 in 2005, according to the Tax Foundation?s annual calculation using the latest government data on income and taxes.

Tax freedom comes two days later than it did last year in 2004 but still considerably earlier than in 2000, when the boom and bubble pushed tax burdens to a record high, and Tax Freedom Day was postponed until May 3.

{follow the link for the full article}

And here’s the actual report:

http://www.taxfoundation.org/sr134.pdf

One day some bold individual is going to make a national sales tax happen, and then we can do away with this outdated POS that is the income tax.

[quote]lothos wrote:
One day some bold individual is going to make a national sales tax happen, and then we can do away with this outdated POS that is the income tax.[/quote]

May that day and that individual never come!

[quote]100meters wrote:
lothos wrote:
One day some bold individual is going to make a national sales tax happen, and then we can do away with this outdated POS that is the income tax.

[/quote]

Go take a walk, 100. That person will be me.

[quote]100meters wrote:
lothos wrote:

[/quote]

Why wouldn’t you favor a national sales tax?

I figure if the libs really want to hammer the rich, This would be the way to do it.

Would you rather have flat tax?

[quote]lothos wrote:
One day some bold individual is going to make a national sales tax happen, and then we can do away with this outdated POS that is the income tax.[/quote]

That will never happen under any Democrat or Republican. Your only option if want you to stand a chance of seeing this is to vote Libertarian.

Everyone just needs to pay 15k a year. We’re all protected by the military, we all want medical care (even though the poor and old take huge chunks), we want social security. Its only just we pay the same amount.

Not to be an ass, but…[too late]

“We” can’t possibly be protected by the military because the military is very busy engaging in imperialist conquests all around the world. And that leads us to…
Government medical care - it simply doesn’t work. Neither does Social Security. It’s an entirely bankrupt system based on a Ponzi Scheme. I can speak with certainty only for myself, but I’m sure there are many other people living in this country who certainly don’t “want” those things either. Libertarians and traditional conservatives, to name two groups.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
100meters wrote:
lothos wrote:

I figure if the libs really want to hammer the rich, This would be the way to do it.

Would you rather have flat tax?[/quote]

Why would you? And the rich would be the least hammered by a national sales tax. The average american would pay more taxes with a national sales tax than now. (Assuming we stayed revenue neutral—a huge assumption considering the admin) Imagine paying at least 50(but more like 60) percent on every thing including your home! A $500,000 home would be taxed 250,000! Ouch! There goes the housing market!Once real estate goes down the tubes, how would local govenrment raise revenues? Healthcare? You don’t even want to think about it. Add 15,000 to your new car! Seniors? Screwed! This would be the mother of all double taxes on millions of seniors. Even if you just replace the federal income tax, you’d still be paying close to 30 percent,so again what part sounds good to you?

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
100meters wrote:
lothos wrote:

Would you rather have flat tax?[/quote]

Oh, and we already have a flat tax.

[quote]100meters wrote:

Oh, and we already have a flat tax. [/quote]

flat tax
n.

An income tax having a single rate for all taxpayers regardless of income level and type.

American Heritage Dictionary