Happy 4th British Brothers

To be honest I don’t think that many British people hold Americans in contempt, I just think that those who do make a lot more noise about it. It seems like theres a bit of a fashion in the UK and Europe, for US bashing, and generally I find that it’s people who have never even been to the US that do it the most.

I guess it’s natural that people will have a bit of amnimosity toward the only worlds super power, and im sure that some academic somewhere will tell you that its to do with the perception of an individuals Identity being threatened.

At the end of the day, as a Brit I feel that we have stronger connections with the US rather then a lot of the countries in Europe, and in the admitedly unlikely event that we ever needed international help, im sure the US would be there for us a lot sooner then many European countries!

Well we can thank the Brits for gin and tonic! And Newcastle Brown Ale!

Hey I may bust balls a bit on here but I love most of the places that I have visited in the US. I work for a US company and a lot of my work contacts are in the states.

When us Brits stereotype the US we sometimes forget what a huge and varied country the US is. Also, pretty much every annoying personality type that we rag on also exists in spades in the UK.

Yes Britain has given a lot of culture to the world over the couple of thousand years that we have been relevent but it would be ridiculous to ignore the huge amount of culture that the US has spread over the last couple of hundred.

I see the US - Great Britain relationship like that between a brash younger brother who takes risks and occasionally pisses people off by being a bit too loud and crass, and the more experienced older brother who sometimes thinks that because he is older he knows everything about everything

[quote]Tyrant wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
p.s. we won

p.s. We got our asses kicked 19 years later by the British, you know, when they burned down the white house.

I couldn’t imagine why the British (and the rest of the world), hates us. Perhaps its the vast ignorance that being fat as fuck makes you better than the rest of the world. Or that because you live in America your somehow smarter then everyone else, even though American’s are typically idiots. But I suppose we still have freedom…or whats left of it.[/quote]

shut up.

At the end of the day we are allies.

We are closer than we have ever been.

We’ve had our differences in the past but we haven’t forgotten American help in world war 2.

And when you needed us recently and nobody in the world would help you, we did and still do. We’re no longer an empire but this little country, smaller than most states backed you up.

Our servicemen and women die near enough every week the same as yours.

All the Americans I’ve met in real life have been friendly, well mannered, good, decent people. I must say I was surprised and impressed. We tend to only see the bad side of the US on tv, movies and news.

I like Americans and I will speak up if people bad-mouth you. You’re probably better people than us British are now. The British of the 1940s and 1950s were probably our greatest generation but it all went downhill from there…

[quote]pushharder wrote:

And thanks to our British brothers for their warm regards on this thread. It is appreciated. [/quote]

Agree 100% with your whole post, Push. Quoted this last part for special emphasis. I need a hug now.

[quote]eic wrote:
pushharder wrote:

And thanks to our British brothers for their warm regards on this thread. It is appreciated.

Agree 100% with your whole post, Push. Quoted this last part for special emphasis. I need a hug now. [/quote]

At any rate. America was clearly superior at that time based solely on how hard the Brits tried to impress our sailors.

That’s a history joke.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Tyrant wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
p.s. we won

p.s. We got our asses kicked 19 years later by the British, you know, when they burned down the white house.

That war ended in a stalemate not an ass kicking.

And the final battle of the war washed out like this:

At the end of the day, the British had a little over 2,000 casualties: 278 dead (including three senior generals Pakenham, Gibbs, and Major General Keane), 1186 wounded, and 484 captured or missing. The Americans had 71 casualties: 13 dead, 39 wounded, and 19 missing.

Now that a proper perspective has been presented let’s reevaluate who did the ass kicking.
[/quote]

Congrats, you googled the last battle of New Orleans. If you payed a little more attention then you’d have noticed that technically the war was already over at that point, for one. Secondly it was a larger British force attacking essentially a barricaded American force lead by Jackson. There was another large battle which we ended up winning along these sort of lines, called Normandy. Where AMERICAN deaths were well over 2,000 , not to mention Canadian and other other forces. But that’s just a tad off target.

Back on the war of 1812, overall we lost about 20,000 people (speculated), while Britain lost about 5,000. Not counting the Canadians, who decided not to take count of their dead…

[quote]Tyrant wrote:
pushharder wrote:
Tyrant wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
p.s. we won

And the final battle of the war washed out like this:

At the end of the day, the British had a little over 2,000 casualties: 278 dead (including three senior generals Pakenham, Gibbs, and Major General Keane), 1186 wounded, and 484 captured or missing. The Americans had 71 casualties: 13 dead, 39 wounded, and 19 missing.

Now that a proper perspective has been presented let’s reevaluate who did the ass kicking.

Congrats, you googled the last battle of New Orleans. If you payed a little more attention then you’d have noticed that technically the war was already over at that point, for one. Secondly it was a larger British force attacking essentially a barricaded American force lead by Jackson. There was another large battle which we ended up winning along these sort of lines, called Normandy. Where AMERICAN deaths were well over 2,000 , not to mention Canadian and other other forces. But that’s just a tad off target.

Back on the war of 1812, overall we lost about 20,000 people (speculated), while Britain lost about 5,000. Not counting the Canadians, who decided not to take count of their dead…
[/quote]

Can’t Canada do anything right?/spin

Hah, this is starting to look like it should be moved to Politics and World Issues.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
There are big, safe, comfortable aeroplane thingys that lift off from American soil hundreds of times everyday headed for fairytale lands all over the globe. Buy a one way ticket and get on one of 'em.
[/quote]

Yes, either love everything about the U.S. and don’t criticize at all and pretend it’s a perfect place, or STFU and GTFO, right? Not good, Push.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[/quote]

So it was a draw. Like Vietnam?

Why is it when you guys lose a war you call it a draw but when it comes to sports you hate draws to the point that you have extra time or shoot outs in regular season games?

[quote]pushharder wrote:
patricio2626 wrote:
pushharder wrote:
There are big, safe, comfortable aeroplane thingys that lift off from American soil hundreds of times everyday headed for fairytale lands all over the globe. Buy a one way ticket and get on one of 'em.

Yes, either love everything about the U.S. and don’t criticize at all and pretend it’s a perfect place, or STFU and GTFO, right? Not good, Push.

Whoa. Go here: Appropriate Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com

and investigate the meaning of the word, “appropriate”. Then come back on here and explain why some mouthy shit should heavily criticize his country and countrymen on a thread where we are thanking our British brothers for their friendship on the birthday of our independence.[/quote]

Suggestion disregarded, but thank you anyways for trying to teach basic vocabulary to a native English-speaker who likely has more formal education than you (unless you’ve completed a PhD). I agree that the critisicm was in bad taste, but the silly cliché ultra-conservative, ‘if you don’t like it, then get out’ response is old and tired, and reeks of the arrogance he speaks of. More people would do well to question everything and not live like clueless sheep in our rose-painted reality; reality is not necessarily what we’ve been lead to believe our whole lives. Hell, if you want to believe that America is the ONLY place on Earth that is TRULY free, then let’s try this: it’s his right as an American to bitch about the system, so he doesn’t have to STFU and GTFO just because he has something to say.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

At any rate. America was clearly superior at that time based solely on how hard the Brits tried to impress our sailors.

That’s a history joke.[/quote]

It took me a minute, but that’s very good!

at the end of the day we’re still not paying taxes to Britain unlike those Canadians who just stopped like a year ago.