Happiest Lifting Memories

Great thread idea @isdatnutty!

Age 14: Our high school had a 700lb, 800lb, 900lb and 1000lb “Club” that you became a part of depending on your powerlifting total (using a low handle trap bar for the deadlift). I was one of a handful of grade 9’s to get to the 700lb club (and was ~130lb at ~5’3").

Age 18: I hit a 405lb squat with the “strict” gym teacher (who is currently my coach!). He was the teacher you didn’t want judging your depth “because he made you squat so low”. The other two gym teachers were less strict on depth. I still remember him trying to psych me up and slapping me multiple times after one other kid hit 405lbs and I had already tapped out after hitting a PR at 385lbs. Anyways, I guess it worked, because I got it. But I still remember that squat grind to this day.

(Ages 20-24: Not much consistent lifting happened here, I enjoyed too many extra curricular activities at college)

Age 26: Pulled 600lbs after approximately 2 years back lifting consistently.

Age 28: Competed in two powerlifting meets, and set PRs at both meets.

Recently: Started working out at a small private gym with a coach. I had a big deadlift grinder a couple weeks ago that had the entire gym (~6-8 guys) screaming at me to finish the pull. Locking that out at the top was an awesome feeling. No real poundage milestone here, just a great feeling with the group (4.25" deficit deadlift against green bands with 525lbs on the bar, lol conjugate).

5 Likes