1 x 5 @ 95 kg
1 x 5 @ 105 kg

Assistant (body weight)
Jump Squat: 4 x 8
Lunge: 4 x 8
Hip Thrust: 4 x 8
Calf Raises: 3 x 50

Abs: 3 x HIIT circuits

It is only 4 weeks and 4 days to my vacation, I need to lose 2kg of fat and increase my mobility and endurance as much as possible to be ready for my next diving course and adventures.

Saturday 18-Sep-2016
5/3/1 (body weight template) - Refreshment Cycle
Cycle 1, Week 1, Day 2

My fourth day with low carb, following new meal split; adding fourth meal during break hour in the office, and avoiding all carbs except vegetables and rice or oats before workout only. My total carb for today is around 40g only (including fibers). No energy issues and even I set a new PR in the press. The body weight template is awesome and very interesting.

Main Lift: Press

1 x 5 @ 50 kg
1 x 5 @ 57.5 kg
1 x 78 @ 65 kg PR, strict form, full ROM with slow descent and ascent.

Assistant (body weight):

• Push up 4x12 / Pull up 4x5 (supersets)

• Military press (BW) 4 x 8 / Inverted row 4 x 8 (superset)

• Abs: 3 x HIIT circuits

• 3 miles uphill walking

Wednesday 22-Sep-2016
Cycle 1, Week 1, Day 3

Low carb effects began to appear. My strength were down today and I did the workout hardly

Main Lift: Deadlift

1 x 5 @ 105 kg
1 x 5 @ 120 kg
1 x 3 @ 132.5 kg

Assistant (body weight):

• Plate swing: 1 x 40 @ 15kg, 1 x 35 @ 15 kg
  • Beat your boots (taken from Mark Lauren Book: You are your own gym): 4 x 12
  • Hyperextension: 4 x 10

Thursday 23-Sep-2016
Cycle 1, Week 1, Day 4

I did a small refeed yesterday night, only 10 dates to replnish some glycogen. My workout for today went smooth.

Main Lift: Bench Press

1 x 5 @ 70 kg
1 x 5 @ 80 kg
1 x 6 @ 90 kg (PR)

Assistant (body weight):

• Push up 4 x 12 and Chin Up 4 x 5 (supersets)
  • Seated dips 4 x 8 and Inverted row (underhand grip) (supersets)

Abs: 2 x HIIT circuits

Friday 23-Sep-2016
Cycle 1, Week 2, Day 1

Main Lift: Squat

1 x 3 @ 87.5 kg
1 x 3 @ 100 kg
1 x 5 @ 112.5 kg (PR) easy set !!

Assistant (body weight)
* Jump Squat: 4 x 8
* Lunge (backward): 4 x 8
* Hip Thrust: 4 x 12
* Calf Raises: 3 x 40

Saturday 24-Sep-2016
Cycle 1, Week 2, Day 2

1 x 3 @ 55 kg
1 x 3 @ 62.5 kg
1 x 3 @ 70 kg

Assistant (body weight):

• Push up 4x12 / Pull up 4x5 (supersets)
  • Military press (BW) 4 x 8 / Inverted row 4 x 8 (superset)

Monday 26-Sep-2016
Cycle 1, Week 2, Day 3

I'm struggling with very tough days. Schools have begun, and still my son's driver not ready so I have to take him to school daily and get him back. I dont sleep well, only 3 hours per nigh, and my office job stresses me. Anyway I did well in today's training and my diet is also going very well. I lost 4 kg since I've started and my measurements reduced by 2 cm, while my 1RM is still the same. I'm burning fat only and keeping muscle mass. I think I lost 1.25 kg of fat mass which is not bad in 14 days diet.

1 x 3 @ 110 kg
1 x 3 @ 125 kg
1 x 3 @ 140 kg

Assistant (body weight):

• Plate swing: 4 x 30 @ 15kg
  • Hyperextension: 4 x 10

Abs: 2 x HIIT circuits

Tuesday 27-Sep-2016
Cycle 1, Week 2, Day 4

Carb up day!!!!! I had 200g of carbs, while maintaining my intake in deficit.

1 x 3 @ 75 kg
1 x 3 @ 85 kg
1 x 3 @ 97.5 kg (PR)

Assistant (body weight):

• Abs: 2 x HIIT circuits

Friday 30-Sep-2016
Cycle 1, Week 3, Day 1

Main Lift: Squat

1 x 5 @ 95 kg
1 x 3 @ 105 kg
1 x 3 @ 120 kg (PR) increased my 1RM to 128kg

Assistant (body weight)

• Jump Squat: 4 x 8
  • Lunge (forward, narrow stance): 4 x 8
  • Hip Thrust: 4 x 12
  • Calf Raises: 3 x 30

Saturday 01-Oct-2016
Cycle 1, Week 3, Day 2

Almost two weeks for the wedding and diving vacation and my weight is dropping at good rate; 0.5kg per week. The most important are the measurements which are decreasing well after shedding the water weight from glycogen and salt. Reviewing my measurements sheet shows that within 6 weeks I've added 2 kgs to my weight at the same body measurements which is good. Still need to drop more size around thighs and hips to meet the next diving course requirements. My lifts are still the same and improving although the strict diet, the deficit still hasn't affect the lifting.

1 x 5 @ 57.5 kg
1 x 3 @ 65 kg
1 x 2 @ 75 kg

Assistant (body weight):

Push up 4x12 / Pull up 4x5 (supersets)
Military press (BW) 4 x 8 / Inverted row 4 x 8 (superset)

I'm curious, why are body dimensions so important to diving?

@MarkKO

Short answer is: for recreational diving and for most of divers it doesn't matter.

Long answer: Many factors affect your diving capabilities. In general; diving is all about two things:
1. air consumption
2. buoyance

First you need to know that we don't use air for technical diving, instead we breath various mixtures of air that has higher amount of Oxygen and less nitrogen, sometimes with added helium, which we call this Helix or Trimix, in general it is called Enriched Air Nitrogen (EAN) and is distinguished by gas percentages.

In order to increase your down time, you need to decrease your gas consumption. This is achieved by many ways; for example:

1. Maintain proper trim (body position and alignment to streamlines) under water to decrease your profile as much as possible, hence, smaller people do better underwater

2. Practice to know how to breathe (in and out) properly and how to fin without exerting too much energy

3. Wearing proper gear, and keep your tools tucked to your body to decrease your profile as much as possible, even your head and hands position have a great effect.

While doing a deep dive; deeper than 55m the gas consumption increases too much, adding necessary gear to your diving suit increases the consumption.

The answer: My diving suit and diving gear are tailored to fit me snuggly, to lower my profile as much as possible, all of my gas calculations and dive plans are based on my current gear, hence, adding 2cm here and there to my body measurements and adding 5kgs to my weight will increase my consumption and decrease my down time. Don't underestimate this, 5kg and 2cm at depth of 90m may decrease my downtime by 8 minutes, and will add another 20 minutes for the safety stops and I may need more deco bottles during my ascend to avoid decompression sickness (which is fetal btw!!)

That's why I'm very strict with my measurements

Hope I could explain it clearly :slight_smile:

@hanymamdouh you explained it excellently, thanks. You obviously really, REALLY know your stuff when it comes to diving.

That makes perfect sense. I suppose a follow up question would be how much your altered body composition will influence your calculations. I mean, assuming your dimensions are as they should he, but you are carrying more muscle than when you last dived. Given muscle is metabolically active, will added muscle have a significant effect?

@MarkKO good question and would expect such clever question from you!

Generally it won't affect too much. But theoretically as muscles are more metabolically active than other tissues, this means you will burn more calories and will consume more air. But the increase can be ignored in major cases. For example if your weight is 100kg with 20% fat, and you recomposed your body (assume same dimensions) and now your fat mass is 10%, the increase in TDEE will be only 200 kcal per day, hence for a 30 minutes dive this will add only 4.8 kcal (200 / 24 / 2). As you can see only 4.8 kcal will not do any significant increase in the air consumption.

@MarkKO just need to add that diving is not that much complicated activity. In fact almost anyone can dive without those complex calculations. I'm talking here about specific conditions that applies mostly to technical diving, and I'm aware because I don't want to re configure my dive plans or calculations, or purchase new protection suit which is expensive (around 400$).

That makes sense. It sounds a lot like what I imagine flying must be like in respect of calculating fuel, wind resistance, etc.

Monday 3-Oct-2016
Cycle 1, Week 3, Day 3

1 x 5 @ 115 kg
1 x 3 @ 132.5 kg
1 x 1 @ 147.5 kg

Assistant (body weight):

• Plate swing: 3 x 30 @ 15kg, 1 x 30 @ 20kg
  • Hyperextension: 3 x 12

Not a bad workout. I'm preparing my sister's wedding and house stuff; taking too much furniture and boxes in and out, loading and unloading the car, etc. adds good conditioning to my workout.

Thursday 4-Oct-2016
Cycle 1, Week 3, Day 4

One week exactly since my last refeed and my strength and energy are in the optimal levels except little weakness regarding caloric deficit only. The low carb (50 and below) works very well with me. I still record new PRs and sometimes increases in 1RM regardless carb amount. My weigh is not dropping too fast and the rate is exactly as calculated; 0.5kg / week on 600 calorie deficit. Muscle mass is still in check and all losses are coming from fat. I will do small refeed now (to my maintenance only); increasing carbs and dropping fat as much as possible; some dates, bran bread. I noticed that doing the refeed after workout works better for me than refeed before the workout.

1 x 5 @ 80 kg
1 x 3 @ 90 kg
1 x 2 @ 102.5 kg (PR)

Assistant (body weight):

• Seated dips 4 x 12 and Inverted row (underhand grip) 4 x 8 (supersets)