Hany's Training Log

@countrygirl2016 I’m so happy that I can be helpful person. BTW my wife trains with me and she also do the same BBB challenge. We both go up and down through our life, too much stress, life problems, kids issues, etc. but we try to overcome everything and adopt better life style. Whenever we feel depressed we think of what we did, the distance we’ve walked through our journey and say “yes, we can do it, we will not give up now”. Taking a rest here or there is a must, failing sometimes happens, but we stand up again stronger and more determined.

I remember when I was studying at the college, I had printed a paper and hung it over in front of my desk that said “Be Directed and Never Miss Your Goal”. Whenever I felt missed; just one look to that paper was enough to give me the required power to be on the track again.

Wish you best luck

2 Likes

That is so wonderful that you and your wife train together!!! You can better understand what’s going on with each other and motivate/push through it together :grinning: Everything you said is great thinking and I will use it. I already feel much better!

1 Like

Thursday 18-August-2016
12 Weeks BBB Challenge
Cycle 3, Week 3, Day 4

It was a great day. I had 10 hours of sleep last night and good nutrition so today’s workout was good.

Main Lift: Bench Press
1 x 5 @ 80 kg (7 RPE)
1 x 3 @ 90 kg ( < 9 RPE)
1 x 2 @ 100 kg (> 9 RPE) actually I could only do 2 partial reps; the bar was 2 inches over my chest, but at least I could lift it from the rack :slight_smile:

BBB: 5 x 3 @ 92.5 kg

Assistance:

Pull up: 3 x 5 wide grip pull up @ body weight

Kroc Row: 2 x 10 @ 45 kg

Band pull apart: 120 reps between assistance

1 Like

Saturday 20-August-2016
12 Weeks BBB Challenge
Cycle 4, Week 1, Day 1

Starting cycle 4 with heart full of enthusiasm, increased my TM to numbers I couldn’t imagine I can lift one year ago. Squat today was awesome, I could finish all prescribed reps even BBB, so that I’m very happy and satisfied. Hope it goes well till I finish the challenge. Thank you Jim for the awesome program!!

Main Lift: Squat
1 x 5 @ 80 kg (6 RPE) ass-to-grass set!!!
1 x 5 @ 95 kg (7 RPE)
1 x 5 @ 105 kg (> 8 RPE) perfect squat form!!!

BBB: 5 x 3 @ 112.5 kg (90% TM)

Assistance:

RDL: 3 x 10 @ 70 kg

Hip Thrusts: 2 x 10 @ 70 kg

3 Abs HIIT circuits

It’s pretty awesome how that happens isn’t it?

1 Like

I remember 18 months before, after I lost my weight and started to do resistance training, I barely could squat with body weight, and it took me 3 months to be able to do 4 x 8 squats with bodyweight only. I then bought my standard barbell and it took me again 6 months to increase my 1RM up to 50kg (all of plates I had). Now my squat 1RM is more than 120kg!!!

Same happened with deadlift, bench press and press. Generally, going from zero to current numbers within almost a year is great progress. Although I don’t drop fat well; I gain good muscle mass, and I postponed cutting to the next year, that’s when I achieve good numbers in my lifts so I can start dropping the last pounds of fat.

You’ll find the more muscle you carry the better you drop fat. Or, that’s what I’ve found.

1 Like

This reflects my experience as well.

2 Likes

Sunday 21 August 2016
12 Weeks BBB Challenge
Cycle 4, Week 1, Day 2

It was very busy week and also I suffered from back injury so my workouts weren’t complete, also I was too late logging my workout. As for press workout, I could only do the warm up, various delts exercises using DB, I didn’t do the BBB because of the injury.

Main Lift: Overhead Press
1 x 5 @ 50 kg
1 x 5 @ 57.5 kg
1 x 5 @ 65 kg

BBB: only did two reps and failed (the pain was unbearable) 1 x 2 @ 70 kg (new PR)

Assistance:
DB front delt raises: 4 x 10 @ 5 kg DB
DB side delt raises: 4 x 10 @ 5 kg DB
DB OHP: 2 x 10 @ 5 kg DB

ABS: 3 x HIIT circuits (crunch, reverse crunch, plank, hanging leg raise)

Wednesday 24 August 2016
12 Weeks BBB Challenge
Cycle 4, Week 1, Day 3

Back pain still very high

Main Lift: Deadlift
1 x 5 @ 100kg
1 x 5 @ 115 kg
1 x 5 @ 132.5 kg (last rep felt like fire in my traps and upper back)

I aborted the session

Friday 26 August 2016
12 Weeks BBB Challenge
Cycle 4, Week 1, Day 4

Felt very well today after good nutrition and 2 days sick leave from the job. My workout went very smooth and very good. The result of daily push up started to come in sight.

1 x 5 @ 70 kg (5 RPE)
1 x 5 @ 80 kg (7 RPE) perfect form with good tempo
1 x 5 @ 90 kg (8 RPE) perfect form

BBB: 5 x 3 @ 95kg (9 RPE) good form, complete reps not partials!!!

Assistance:

Pull up: 3 x 5 @ body weight

Kroc Row: 1 x 20, 1 x 15 @ 35 kg (had to take it easy with my back)

DB bench press (cool down): 3 x 10 @ 10 kg DB

Band pull apart: 120 reps between assistance sets

What happened? How’s it holding up?

I think I’ve mentioned before that I suffer from chronic back problem, I’m not doctor so I can’t describe it using right medical terms, but in short; the tunnel that hosts spinal cord has some distortions, and due to old car accident I got something like herniated disk, that resulted in chronic nerve inflammation. every 3 to 4 months the inflammation increases to be unbearable, this case lasts for approx 4 to 8 days then everything returns to normal.

Thanks so much friend for your concern, I really appreciate your kindness

In Australia we’d term it as a fucked back and leave it at that. Sounds unpleasant, but also like you’ve got it under control. You may find it useful to check out Donnie Thompson’s YouTube channel.

1 Like

For you to have those kind of problems with your back and still workout the way you do is impressive! I know many people who complain about their back and use it as their excuse not to workout at all. If you hurt and can’t finish your workout you should still be proud of yourself :smile:

@MarkKO That’s exactly what my doctor advised me to do, he advised to leave it as it is and bear the pain. He said that operation can be done but very risky and better not to opt for it until pain is continues and unbearable.

I will check out Donnie Thompson, is he a physician?

Thanks so much friend, training is my only way to fight that pain and feel I can beat it. I will no longer be that sedentary guy or disabled person anymore :slight_smile:

BTW what is your name? I’m Hany

1 Like

My name is Rene :slight_smile: it’s nice to know your name!!

1 Like

Saturday 27 August 2016
12 Weeks BBB Challenge
Cycle 4, Week 2, Day 1

Good workout today. My back is healing and pain decreases, squat session went good and I set new PR!!!

Main Lift: Squat

1 x 3 @ 87.5 kg (6 RPE)
1 x 3 @ 100 kg ( 8 RPE)
1 x 3 @ 112.5 kg (> 8 RPE)

BBB: 5 x 1 @ 125kg (TM!!!) parallel thighs not ATG

Assistance:

RDL 3 x 10 @ 70 kg

Hip Thrusts: 2 x 10 @ 70 kg

2 circuits HIIT abs

Better. He’s a very strong powerlifter - I think he may still hold the highest ever total. These days he focuses on prehab and rehab. I use one of his techniques in my bench and press warm up.