T Nation

Hangover = Great Workout

I know this is “bad” for you, but im wondering why this works. I have the best workout the day after i get tanked, ive talked to a few buddies of mine and they have the same thing. now im wondering if its all the extra calories being taken in from the beer ( i hate hard liquer only do beer). i did the calculations.

7 calories in a gram or alcohol
14-16 grams of alcohol in a drink
15-20 drinks in a given night
1575-2100 extra calories just from the beer
then there is the food that you eat along with it, usually when your drunk it doesnt really matter if its healthy as long as it will let you drink more lol

anyone have any explaination as to why i go into the gym the next day and get a great pump and get some crazy sets in?

How is it the best workout? I know I can lift heavier weights but I usually can’t lift as long because I have a headache.

I haven’t seen any studies why it would be better. I’m thinking MAYYYBEE elevated blood pressure and heart rate has something to do with it. Since blood transports the nutrients, and the heart makes the whole system go faster you can probably get the bodys muscles to work harder. I’ve heard of a lot of great athletes with non-healthy levels of blood pressure and heart rate. As well as many supplements increase heart rate.

Someone might try to pass this off as carbo-loading but with all the negative effects downing 20 drinks should have, I doubt this is the case.

Now if you’re drinking 15 Natty Lights in one night, each having an alcoholic content of less than 4%, maybe you really are carbo-loading and you didn’t take in an awful amount of alcohol.

But what I want to know is were you really hung over or did you just drink a lot last night, wake up, and have a good workout?

There’s a difference between a normative claim and a descriptive claim. You can make the descriptive claim that you got shitfaced friday, and you had an awesome workout saturay. You cannot make the descriptive claim that you got shitfaced friday, and your consumption of beer caused you to have a grand-slam of a workout.

A lot of people reach success not just because of what they do but in spite of what they do.

The truth is you’re young, your in shape, and you probably psyched yourself up to compensate for your hangover and had a good workout. Two years ago when I last had the flu I hit a rep record for pull ups. The truth is I probably could have done even more if I felt better and you could have probably lifted even better than you did if you hadn’t been drinking for 8 hours in one night.

Yeah me and my buddy used to experience the same. We’d drink cups of straight vodka/chased with water. Wake up the next morning, no breakfast, feel great and would set PRs…weird.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Someone might try to pass this off as carbo-loading but with all the negative effects downing 20 drinks should have, I doubt this is the case.

Now if you’re drinking 15 Natty Lights in one night, each having an alcoholic content of less than 4%, maybe you really are carbo-loading and you didn’t take in an awful amount of alcohol.

But what I want to know is were you really hung over or did you just drink a lot last night, wake up, and have a good workout?

There’s a difference between a normative claim and a descriptive claim. You can make the descriptive claim that you got shitfaced friday, and you had an awesome workout saturay. You cannot make the descriptive claim that you got shitfaced friday, and your consumption of beer caused you to have a grand-slam of a workout.

A lot of people reach success not just because of what they do but in spite of what they do.

The truth is you’re young, your in shape, and you probably psyched yourself up to compensate for your hangover and had a good workout. Two years ago when I last had the flu I hit a rep record for pull ups. The truth is I probably could have done even more if I felt better and you could have probably lifted even better than you did if you hadn’t been drinking for 8 hours in one night. [/quote]

If you couldn’t replicated it thats one thing, but regurgitating MADD propoganda doesn’t help find little golden nuggets of science that might help. I am not young, not old 30, and plenty of times I have gone to the gym and lifted a few pounds heavier with a hangover then I could without. I am no scientist but when it happens its as clear as an apple falling to the ground.

If a study was done on this effect, theres no telling what research may find. Maybe nothing, maybe a new supplement, or a better way to warm up for a MAX. We all know alcohol is bad for you overall, but I think there is definitely something to look at when multiple people experience the same phenomena.

I’ll agree with this one. It seems like my best gym days come after a night of hard drinking.

I’ve had this happen, but only with Guinness (pretty low alcohol content), along with plenty of water and 9-10 hours of sleep. I’m thinking it’s the extra cals.

This deff applies to me, whenever I drink shitty Vodka, I always get PR’s the next day.

I’ve noticed this too. Maybe it is because you are going low calorie/low carb the rest of the week?

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
I’ve had this happen, but only with Guinness (pretty low alcohol content), along with plenty of water and 9-10 hours of sleep. I’m thinking it’s the extra cals. [/quote]

That’s probably good for you.

that sounds like a great idea, a new supplement!

anyone have a link that might explain this?