T Nation

Hanging vs. Floor Pikes

Are floor pikes an adequate substitute for hanging pikes? What are the pros and cons of both?

Hanging Pikes are awesome. How do you do floor pikes?

Same as the hanging except you’re lying on your back.

You’re using more muscles with the hanging pike.

[quote]bikemike wrote:
You’re using more muscles with the hanging pike.[/quote]

I’m aware of this, but after my subluxation doing hanging pikes about 3.5 weeks ago, I want to avoid them until I get my shoulders and lats stronger.

Another thing, I’m pretty sure that I subluxed my shoulder because of muscle fatigue. Would putting it in the middle of a workout instead of the end be OK?

We use arm straps to do hanging pikes - takes the shoulder completely out of the picture.

Instead of doing the full pike - you might try bending the knees a little, and make the hanging pike more of a hanging knee raise. That has worked well for both me and my wife in the past.

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:
Are floor pikes an adequate substitute for hanging pikes? What are the pros and cons of both?[/quote]

I find floor pikes to be significantly easier than hanging pikes. But, I find hanging pikes to be more effective for strength and hypertrophy. To give you an idea of numbers, untrained, I could do about 35-40 floor pikes, but 0 hanging pikes. Now, I can do around 20 hanging pikes.

You can work up to hanging pikes very easily, either by doing hanging knee raises, or partial range hanging pikes - keep your legs straight, but only bring them up as high as you comfortably can.

[quote]kligor wrote:
Panther1015 wrote:
Are floor pikes an adequate substitute for hanging pikes? What are the pros and cons of both?

I find floor pikes to be significantly easier than hanging pikes. But, I find hanging pikes to be more effective for strength and hypertrophy. To give you an idea of numbers, untrained, I could do about 35-40 floor pikes, but 0 hanging pikes. Now, I can do around 20 hanging pikes.

You can work up to hanging pikes very easily, either by doing hanging knee raises, or partial range hanging pikes - keep your legs straight, but only bring them up as high as you comfortably can.

[/quote]

I can already do hanging pikes. I’ve just got structural issues with my left shoulder, which I think are fatigue related. I’ll probably take RJ’s advice and use arm straps or do the semi pikes for a while. At least until I get my muscular endurance up a bit more and get my lats a little stronger.