Hang Snatch Critique

Hi

Please critique my hang snatch technique. There are a couple of questions I have:

1. Are my legs too straight when I lower the bar down? Should I be bending the knees a bit more?

2. Am I giving the bar enough vertical direction, or am I hitting it out too far forward with the hips?

Thanks
Stokkers

as you said, I think you´re hitting it to much forward, try some snatch high pulls, pulling the bar to about chest height without kicking it forward

Also, when you lower the bar down, keep your shins vertical, i.e. bend your knees more. This is leading to you banging the bar out in front of you too much and not getting vertical enough. Plus, during the normal lift, your shins never should go past vertical during the first pull!!

The cue that worked best for me in understanding the hang position for the snatch and clean was thinking it’s like an RDL. You are bending at the knees and loading your hams substantially. I think you’re also not quite getting full extension in your legs (if you slow it down and pause it mid-lift, your knees are pretty bent as the bar passes through the hips). For me, I think of both moving my hips forward “through” the bar (call it “air humping” if you like) and brushing the bar on the way up.

To your second question, the bar is coming out a bit, but it’s easy for that to happen when the weight is light. And it’s not too bad.

It’s not a bad lift by any stretch.

I wish these videos were in Coach’s Eye. :frowning:

The simplest things to improve for you:

1. Lower it slower, so that the bar doesn’t pull you out of position so easily.
  2. When pulling the bar, keep it in close contact with your body.
  3. achieve a complete extension

[quote]stokkers wrote:
Hi

Please critique my hang snatch technique. There are a couple of questions I have:

1. Are my legs too straight when I lower the bar down? Should I be bending the knees a bit more?

2. Am I giving the bar enough vertical direction, or am I hitting it out too far forward with the hips?

Thanks
Stokkers[/quote]

Your dropping under it too early, you need to finish the pull.

Thanks guys. I’m going to take these points on board, make another video and then post it