Hang Power Clean, Form Critique

OK, following my last post here about the jump squats in order to improve my athletic ability, i have decided to try power cleans.
So, today was my first time ever trying to power clean.
here is a few hang power cleans i tried today.

I would love to get any critique/tips/notes about the form.
-i know its an empty bar, but again, this is my first time
Thanks

Explode and thrust with the lower body to direct the bar upward. You’re hopping under the bar, and if you try that with a heavy weight you’re going to fall backwards.

Your hips barely move, if you thrust hard (not bouncing the bar though) you can gain a lot more power.

In addition to everything machia said, I would suggest working on some high pulls, being sure to keep the bar tight to your body.

This will help reinforce keeping your hips underneath you.

In addition, your first movement, the dip is very slow, and you begin the upward movement with your arms instead of your legs. The latter should take care of itself as the weight gets heavier, but if it doesn’t you will risk injury to your elbows/biceps.

Overall, your form is pretty good for your first time. I have seen much, much worse. At this point, I would be comfortable telling you to add a bit of weight (10-20 lbs) and keep working on your form. Many people actually find it easier to maintain good form with heavier weight. With just the bar, it is way to easy to overemphasize the lift with your arms, while your hips just kind of tag along.

Work on the high pulls, mentally tell yourself to keep the bar close and keep your hips underneath you, and I think you are on the right track.

That’s a jumping-reverse-grip-curl.

Dip a little lower, somewhere around the knee, extend the hips in an kind of upwards manner. Your thighs should contact the bar (somewhere around where it is in your starting position).

Work the pulls. Don’t pull with your arms. don’t bend them untill you’ve finished the pull. Your arms are just pieces of string, connecting your powerhouse to the bar.

You can’t reverse-curl 220lbs.

First of all, thank you all for your comments.
About the arms use, i really didnt notice i was using my arms, maybe ill try hook grip next time? i understood this grip helps with that thing.

about the “Explode and thrust”, do you mean jump harder? its hard for me to understand…

[quote]redivote wrote:
First of all, thank you all for your comments.
About the arms use, i really didnt notice i was using my arms, maybe ill try hook grip next time? i understood this grip helps with that thing.

about the “Explode and thrust”, do you mean jump harder? its hard for me to understand… [/quote]

Look at your hips on the video - when you’re loading the weight, they’re pulled back and then locked into position. When you go to clean the bar you’re pulling your elbows back to curl the bar up. While curling the bar up, you jump forward about a foot to place yourself under the bar.

Instead, shoot your hips forward and do a high pull, snapping your elbows underneath the bar and catching it. As mentioned, you might want to try using a heavier weight that exceeds the amount of weight you can curl and you’ll see the effects more visibly.

Unless you have a horrendously weak grip, it shouldn’t impact using your arms or not. I personally prefer a thumbless grip unless cleaning > 200lbs because it feels more natural for catching the weight.

Don’t think about jumping. Pop your hips forward (thrust). The point of lowering the weight like that in the hang clean is to load the hamstrings so you can explosively extend at the hips.

Don’t jump forward. I think you should concentrate on jumping up instead of forward, this will automatically make you thrust your hip forward. You also need to bring the bar lower.

I personally feel it is easier to learn the snatch before the clean.

add some weight, it might actually help. 45lbs is hard to clean after you have some strength since it will be too easy to just muscle it up.

Focus on jumping and landing. The only time the arms should bend is to pull yourself down into the front squat position.

Remember, elbows bend, power ends per Gayle Hatch!!!

Am i the only one that noticed him rocking back then jumping off of his heels? Doesn’t seem to me like an ideal position to explode out of…