Handstand pushups...

What sort of work should be done to execute a handstand pushup? That’s something I’ve always wanted to do, but I can’t really even hold a handstand without a wall. Have somebody assist you? Can you guys do them?

I started practicing walking on my hands and holding a static handstand many years ago. When I first tried doing handstand pushups with my feet barely touching the wall, I was able to knock out six. Within a couple weeks, I could do 10. Now, I need to start doing them with a longer range of motion. Mike Mahler has recommended using pushup bars for that. So I’ll try that the next time I put them in my routine. When you get real good, you can do them off chairs or benches or boxes for a full-range of movement. If you can’t do one, then start with a static handstand against the wall. Hold it as long as you can. Do a few sets. Eventually, try going down and pushing yourself up, even if it’s just an inch or two at a time. Eventually, you’ll be able to do them.

can you do a handstand pushup with use of a wall? If so, you’re on your way. If not, do dumbbell and military presses till you’re strong enough. Personally, I’ve progressed by using handles to increase the range of motion by 6 inches.