Handstand Pushups

Ever tried these? What do you think? How many can you do?

I don’t have access to a gym right now so I think they are a great shoulder exercise in the meantime and I can go to failure in a reasonable amount of reps.

everytime i try it feels like my face is going to explode, how do you do them without getting such a massive blood to the head?

I used to do them when I was about 8 years old, I cant do them anymore, buts its a goal I have to get back to em.

Yes I had the same problem before. My solution was to control my breathing. Make sure you really exhale pushing up or else yes, you will feel like your face is going to explode.

I have been practicing hold a headstand a pushing up against a wall.

[quote]hit the gym wrote:
Yes I had the same problem before. My solution was to control my breathing. Make sure you really exhale pushing up or else yes, you will feel like your face is going to explode.[/quote]

Bingo, breathing is key.

Great for the shoulders, the closer your hands are to the wall i.e. the more perpendicular you are, the harder they will be. Good to have a spotter if its a new movement to you. I’ve gotten up to 20 per set over time.

Warm up your shoulders, forearms and wrists ahead of time.

I do them sometimes - just for fun though, not part of a workout.

Used to be a gymnast and still love to mess around with that kind of thing

Amzing for increasing pressing strength.

Yep, I have access to a gym now so don’t do them anymore. I do DB presses now.

But a great alternative if you don’t have access to heavy weights.

I like handstand push-ups. The range of motion can be lacking, and so the parallettes, chairs, or weights (see www.beastskills.com) can add to it.

Back in high school, I could do around 20. The last time I did it, I was doing sets of 10 to 12 reps. One of these days, I’ll have to work on my handstand, and do the clapping handstand push-ups.