T Nation

Handstand Pushups=Military Press?

Do you have to be able to military press bodyweight to do a handstand push-up? My intuition tells me no but I am not sure. I can do a handstand hold for 2 or 3 minutes depending on how I am feeling, but whenever I try a handstand push-up I whimper out half-way. I think it’s largely a mental thing as I am afraid of falling on my neck. My max military press is about 100, I weigh about 160. Should I focus on specific-handstand training as well as bringing up my military if one of my goals is handstand push-ups, or just get raw strength from militaries?

i was the same.
i started doing timed static holds on the hs. then i could lower myself about halfway before dropping. so i worked that a couple times a week for a few weeks-sets of negatives as low as i could go. i also did sets of wallwalks w/ pushups along the way. it wasn’t long until i was lowering myself controlled from handstand into headstand. after that i used my pushup bars to do negatives and lower a little further. that was harder and a little scary. i didn’t try pushups during those weeks cause i didn’t want the negative mental energy of failing to interrupt my progression , and when i first tried them after i could lower on the bars i tried for 1 and got 3. the first two totally free standing the 3rd i broke form and used the wall. i was psyched. couple nights later i told some friends at a party and they were like bullshit so i had a bunch of adrenaline going and did 5 against a wall and i thought i was kinda hot shit but then this chick in short shorts did an absolutely gorgeous stock straight freestanding hs in the middle of room and held it for who knows how long and we were all drooling like oh god can you please do a split too ?

http://t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=486975

This should help you out on those hand stands, Coach Summer posted this last year during Olympic time when some people were commenting about a few gymnastic folk who were kickin ass.

Also, are you doing the handstands with your feet balanced on a wall or are you doing them without any support?

Do you ever do push presses? or jerks? all of these can help you out in gaining strength in the shoulders for your handstand pushups. Hope this helps.

I don’t think you have to be able to Military Press bodyweight in order to do military pushups. A few months ago (when I was practicing them like crazy) I did 8 handstand pushusps, not against a wall or anything. I just started on the ground in a frog position and yeah, BALANCE is key to being to do it I think.

dl-

Work on both concurrently.

ween yourself off the wall quickly.

beastskills.com
& american-gymnast.com

look into parallette training.

when you can do full range (elevated) handstand pushups, then you have a realistic way to guage your OH pressing power.

And even then they aren’t equivalent.

What I have noticed tho is that Full range HSPU’s will bring up my military press, but my military press will NOT bring up my full range hspu. (unless you do a lot of abwork)

A lot of HSPU is about keeping your torso rigid.

I want to get the strength to be able to do them against a wall; freestanding would be a sweet add on and party trick. I will probably going to throw in some negative handstand work after I bench, I don’t want to do them in the same workout as militaries cause one would inhibit effort on the other. I am also going to start doing handstand kick-ups as GPP more often. Being able to do a few will garnish a lot of respect in the wrestling room.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
I want to get the strength to be able to do them against a wall; freestanding would be a sweet add on and party trick. I will probably going to throw in some negative handstand work after I bench, I don’t want to do them in the same workout as militaries cause one would inhibit effort on the other. I am also going to start doing handstand kick-ups as GPP more often. Being able to do a few will garnish a lot of respect in the wrestling room.[/quote]

bro what i posted before was how i learned it but if i learned it over again i’d do the freestanding hs first. use the wall too much and you learn a limiting technique that’s hard to get away from and waste a lot more energy.
listen to xen’s advice:

“wean yourself off the wall quickly”

and

"a lot of hspu is about keeping your torso rigid "

the rigid part you won’t learn if you keep using the wall. when your torso learns how to keep you stock straight and you can put your head down between your arms and look at the world upside down you will discover a sweet spot of balance and the whole thing will suddenly require a lot less effort than in the learning stage.

xen nova thanks for posting the beast skills site. really frickn cool .

Don’t forget there’s no need to go from handstand holds to full range pushups. I did partial handstand pushups for many weeks. Then one day I tried going until my head touched the floor and I could.

Train to be able to pop off a bunch of handstand pushups to the top of your head, and going between two chairs shouldn’t be a problem.

Being able to do handstand pushups without a wall would be gnarly. This ranks up there with one-armed pull-ups.

No problem swivel, thats what I’m here for.

[quote]bikemike wrote:
Being able to do handstand pushups without a wall would be gnarly. This ranks up there with one-armed pull-ups.[/quote]

Or 1 handed handstand pushups, can only do it with a wall though.

i have been practicing handstand pushups…so far i can do 2 freestanding.

A combination of shoulder presses and handstands in parallel bars really help with shoulder development, also try walking around the house or street on your hands…people might look at you funny but its a great skill to have.

You definitely do not have to be able to military press your own weight to do handstand pushups. In my opinion, I’ve got rather weak shoulders. My best effort with military press is 105x7 and I weigh 180. I can still manage about 5 or 6 handstand pushups against a wall though. They’ll be nearly impossible to do if your hands aren’t about a foot out from the wall. If that’s not your problem, then I got no advice.

Handstand pushups are more like a high incline bench press than they are military press. Theres is a tremendous amount of pectoral involvement on these.

What are some of the weights of the guys on this thread? I know several people over 200 that have started to add these to their routines and can handle their bodyweight well, they have been having alot of shoulder problems. I havent had any trouble and I’m 6’4" 228 but it does seem like alot of stress on the shoulder joint in a not very optimal position.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
Handstand pushups are more like a high incline bench press than they are military press. Theres is a tremendous amount of pectoral involvement on these.

What are some of the weights of the guys on this thread? I know several people over 200 that have started to add these to their routines and can handle their bodyweight well, they have been having alot of shoulder problems. I havent had any trouble and I’m 6’4" 228 but it does seem like alot of stress on the shoulder joint in a not very optimal position. [/quote]

Im over 200 and can handle a couple reps. A useful movement but i wouldnt get too involved. The MP imo is more useful due to the added core involvement and stress placed in/on the body.

JMO.

I weigh about 235 and can knock out 5-6 reps of these touching my head to a pad. I have to use a wall for support since I cannot do a handstand. I guess I will have to learn to get the whole benefit.

well my weight is like 150-155 and i can press 155 max but i can bust out 2 free standing handstand pushups and about 25 near a wall, then again i have been doing them for almost a year.

Against a wall:

Unless you’re on paralletes, your handstand push-up’s ROM is limited – this thing called your head gets in the way. Think of it more as a top quarter/half military press partial. For this reason, dynamically, it also depends more on tricep strength than shoulder strength. However, there is a good near isometric shoulder component if your military press isn’t too hot.

How much weight can you quarter squat vs. full squat? It’s the same type of comparison. This is why it’s many, many times easier than a bodyweight military press.

To make it harder: get high parallettes and increase ROM.

Unassisted HSPUs (i.e. freestanding and ideally on parallettes) are a slightly different beast because the need for stabilization can really limit your strength. It might be effective, besides extensive plain handstand balancing and holding, to work standing dumbbell military presses with your bodyweight if freestanding is a goal of yours.

yea you are correct there is a different need of stabalization when doing handstand pushup. I do have parallel bars they are great, i do feel that the full range of motion really is better for you considering i can only do 5 full range of motion reps on the parallel bars. THEy are About 3 times harder than normal handstand pushups and if anyone can master then without the wall…THEY ARE A GOD

I’d be impressed if I could do a hand stand, let alone a hand stand push up. A martial arts instructer I used to have could do tonnes of them, I thought it looked pretty cool.