Hands Ripping From Deadlifts

i usually don’t reply to forum threads but i wanted to let you know that wrapping your hand around the bar and using your whole hand will help with your grip. grip it like you are going to punch the floor.

i work out mainly for rock climbing, so i know a thing or two about calloused hands. there is this product called climb on, helps toughen up the skin and keep it supple. i know that sounds odd. but after a good climbing session hands are all torn up, and dry from the chalk. i just wash my hands, and apply the climb on to my hands. and skin is good as new.

[quote]elano wrote:
It’s best to stop them from even forming. That means learning to grip the bar so that it doesn’t roll or slide in your hand when you pick it up. Like other people here have said, wrap your fingers around the bar first because on a heavy dead, the bar is going to slide into the fingers and if you have your palm wraped around it, the knurling will bite in and pull which causes calouses to form.
[/quote]

I really have to disagree with this. Your grip will not be as strong when the weight is being held in your fingers. Really digging the meat of your hand into the bar will put you in the best position to pull the weight. As callouses start to form the pumice stone has worked best for me. It doesnt even have to be a regular ritual. Just every so often, say every few months.

personally i end up biting the bitches off during class cause im just that classy in public places to do it :stuck_out_tongue: …but yeah, cut the tops off, and then actually groove your fingers into the bar. Like instead of just grabbing it and [inching the skin in between your palm and bar, you can work the rough skin into the bar while getting a good palm grab.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
These suggestions given above will help to a point. But if your grip is weak relative to what you can haul up off the floor, your smooth, pumiced hands will still rip. A weak grip allows a bar to slide down in your hand. As is slides down, the the tissue gives out. I have a dead finger on one hand (tendons don’t connnect). My grip is for shit on that hand. Gusss what- that hand rips all the time. [/quote]

At least once a week I do farmers walks until the weight pulls out of my hands. No ripping. Used to rip before I started moisturizing, now… nothing. We are talking 250+lbs per hand, jarring, bouncing, shifting, turning and eventually slipping free without tearing. I’ve got nothing else to credit that to other than moisturizing.

I suppose that it is possible that certain people have more of a tendency for this, but I’ve seen this happen a lot in strongman training and almost without fail it stops once the guy starts taking care of his hands.

[quote]Andrew.Cook wrote:
Pinto wrote:
These suggestions given above will help to a point. But if your grip is weak relative to what you can haul up off the floor, your smooth, pumiced hands will still rip. A weak grip allows a bar to slide down in your hand. As is slides down, the the tissue gives out. I have a dead finger on one hand (tendons don’t connnect). My grip is for shit on that hand. Gusss what- that hand rips all the time.

At least once a week I do farmers walks until the weight pulls out of my hands. No ripping. Used to rip before I started moisturizing, now… nothing. We are talking 250+lbs per hand, jarring, bouncing, shifting, turning and eventually slipping free without tearing. I’ve got nothing else to credit that to other than moisturizing.

I suppose that it is possible that certain people have more of a tendency for this, but I’ve seen this happen a lot in strongman training and almost without fail it stops once the guy starts taking care of his hands. [/quote]

I agree that keeping your calluses in check helps. If my hands get too crusty, they’ll crack open doing light weight. So I’m a firm believer in callus management. However, for me, after I started pulling in the mid-6’s, I started getting righteous tears on my bad hand. As my grip has improved, the point at which the bar slips and my hand tears has gone up- now it takes a low 7s to tear- but it still tears.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

I really have to disagree with this. Your grip will not be as strong when the weight is being held in your fingers. Really digging the meat of your hand into the bar will put you in the best position to pull the weight. As callouses start to form the pumice stone has worked best for me. It doesnt even have to be a regular ritual. Just every so often, say every few months.
[/quote]

If you wrap your palm around the bar though, it will slide down into your fingers when you pick it up pulling the skin with it. I’m saying, wrap your fingers around the bar first then wrap the thumb around the fingers. Of course I’m not saying use a loose grip with the bar just hanging in the fingers, You squeeze the bar tight in your fist. The idea is to position your hands on the bar so that it doesn’t roll or slide when you pick it up. I used to get callouses all the time because I didn’t do this and now I rarely ever get one.