Handling Life with Injections

Hey guys. Long story short, I got my blood work done and it confirmed what I already suspected: low T. I’m at peace with the truth that TRT is for life and something that I will never be able to “cycle off.” My question is aimed more for the guys who have been on TRT for a number of years. What is it like having to inject yourself multiple times per week? Honestly, the thought of injecting myself for the next 30-40 years with T Cyp & HcG (plus an AI) seems overwhelming. Any stories or experiences you’ve had with injections would be appreciated.

At first when you feel the benefits, you may look forward to your injections - reward vs cost. But after 10 years it gets old.

You should inject twice a week and take anastrozole at that time. hCG half-life works very well EOD.

Please create a thread for your use that has a more appropriate title and post labs and other details there. Maintain a single thread for that so details and context are not spread out and lost.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

That’s correctly put, because medicinal practice is not a cycle.

I’ve been on TRT since 22 years old and I am now 37, going on 38 years old this summer. So that’s a lot of time being on TRT. I used gels up until four years ago when I started with injections and HCG for the past three years with T.

Injecting oneself with 28 gauge insulin syringes three or four times a week is not a big deal considering they’re hardly felt, especially when you inject into fatty areas. I used to do IM injections and although they were not especially painful, they were not comfortable.

PS: you might not need an AI. Most don’t. I haven’t used or needed an AI in all the sixteen years I’ve used TRT, not even with added HCG. Same goes for my friends and relative on TRT.

I’ve just started TRT, and am currently doing intramuscular injections with a 21 gauge needle. I’m planning on moving to subcutaneous shots in the near future.

The first injection that I gave myself was pretty stressful, but I’ve done a couple since then, and they’ve been a lot easier. I’d rather not have to do them, but they’re something that I can live with.

If injections are a problem for you, there are always gels or the longer lasting shots.

Hello there, sir. Thanks for the guidance and feedback. Will do!

Hey man. Thanks for the insight. I’ve heard from several people that SC shots are the way to go. Admittedly, I don’t want to self-administer in my glute because that seems extremely uncomfortable. Hope your treatment is going well!

Agree with @BrickHead. I was an Androgel user as well. Make sure you need an AI before crashing your E2 with an assumption. I use 120mg/wk plus 250iu hcg every 3.5 days and I don’t need an AI either. Also do yourself a favor and move to the smaller gauge syringes. I use a 29g, 1/2", .5 ml for TCyp and the same syringe in 31g for hcg. Piece of cake. I inject what I guess is called Ventrogluteal, never feel the syringe and have never yet had even a drop of blood, bruising, soreness etc. Not sure if it would be considered SQ but it works great 3x a week, alternating sides.

2 Likes

21g! Ouch. Go to a 23g.

I’m doing IM shots into my thigh @donnyball1125, and it’s not a problem. I’ll try smaller needles at some point, such as the 23 gauge that @highpull recommended (thanks), and that should make it easier.

So far I’ve felt some benefits (libido is up, depression is down), but I’m not 100% sold on it. But it’s early days, and I don’t think that my protocol is completely dialled in. I’ve just done blood work for a doctor’s appointment next week, and will see how it goes from there.

@Graemsay If you don’t mind my asking, have you seen any benefits in the gym or improvements in your physicality? Or is it too early to tell?

Thanks man. If you don’t mind my asking, why did you stop the Androgel?

Thanks for the feedback, @BrickHead. I ask this because you’ve been on TRT for awhile now, so am I to assume the therapy offers a nice boost in the gym as well as overall muscle development?

1 Like

I’ve not noticed any changes yet. However, I’ve been away on holiday for a couple of weeks, and gym has been sidelined a bit with an injury.

I think that @BrickHead is a good example of what can be achieved with a good diet and training plan. He’s got an excellent thread called Bodybuilding 2.0 or similar, which is worth a read.

1 Like

Thanks for the post.

At first you will notice a boost, because you will be going from hypogonadal to being treated. But once you’re normalized, you’re just functioning like other normal functioning men with normal T levels.

Thank you very much!