Handling Carbs; How Do You Know?

So I’m still modifying my diet but I’ve read about handling carbs, on Poliquin’s website as well as here; my question is, how do you guys know how well you handle carbs? Is therea test or is it by feel or what? Just curious as I have no idea what they mean when they make comments about how well you handle carbs. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Go with Poliquin’s pancake test

Never head of it before so I looked it up; seems interesting.

I may try it on my next non-training day. I’m guessing they have to be normal pancakes and not protein pancakes?

Pretty simple, if eating carbs makes you feel sluggish/lethargic you don’t handle carbs well, so you rinsulin sensitivity is probably shit. However, if you eat them and feel energetic (almost like a caffeine buzz) then you handle them well.

I find the leaner I am, the better I can handle them.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:

I find the leaner I am, the better I can handle them.[/quote]

This is very true.

The way to find out if you can handle carbs is… put some carbs intelligently in your diet and monitor it over the course of a couple months. Way I think you posted this today or yesterday but a mistake guys make is they have a set diet… throw a bunch of carbs on top and then say “wah carbs got me fat”. When in reality they added 600 calories they didn’t need lol.

AT THE SAME CALORIE LEVEL, plug in some carbs and subtract out some protein(if you are well covered) or some added fats. If you like how you feel/look/perform then you are doing fine. If you get violent blood sugar swings and feel like crap all the time subtract carbs out(and increase the things you took out previously) till you are at a good spot again.

Lean(er) people, ectos, certain ethnicities tend to do better on carb diets but it comes down to what works for you.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
The way to find out if you can handle carbs is… put some carbs intelligently in your diet and monitor it over the course of a couple months. Way I think you posted this today or yesterday but a mistake guys make is they have a set diet… throw a bunch of carbs on top and then say “wah carbs got me fat”. When in reality they added 600 calories they didn’t need lol.

AT THE SAME CALORIE LEVEL, plug in some carbs and subtract out some protein(if you are well covered) or some added fats. If you like how you feel/look/perform then you are doing fine. If you get violent blood sugar swings and feel like crap all the time subtract carbs out(and increase the things you took out previously) till you are at a good spot again.

Lean(er) people, ectos, certain ethnicities tend to do better on carb diets but it comes down to what works for you.

[/quote]

Works for me :slight_smile:

S