Hand/Wrist Placement on Squats

Are your wrists straight or bent? I read in Starting Strength that you need to keep them straight but I’ve never seen anyone do it. And are you supposed to keep your hands as close as possible?

My wrists are always cocked back somewhat.

More so when I oly squat and less so when I power squat (much wider grip).

I find it easier to grip the bar with my arms spread as wide as I can, but that’s just me.

[quote]fartmonkey64 wrote:
Are your wrists straight or bent? I read in Starting Strength that you need to keep them straight but I’ve never seen anyone do it. And are you supposed to keep your hands as close as possible?[/quote]

What difference does it make if you place your hands wide or close together?

[quote]fartmonkey64 wrote:
fartmonkey64 wrote:
Are your wrists straight or bent? I read in Starting Strength that you need to keep them straight but I’ve never seen anyone do it. And are you supposed to keep your hands as close as possible?

What difference does it make if you place your hands wide or close together?[/quote]

Well, when I squat wide stance, power style, the bar is much lower on my traps and I have a much wider grip.

My high bar, olympic style squats have a much narrower grip due to bar placement being so far up my traps.

I believe a narrower grip aids in keeping your scapula pulled together and to assist in a more upright stance.

Dave Tate had a good answer over at Elitefts, the the distance of hands on the bar when Squating…

He said something like - If you place your hands as close to your shoulders as you can when squating, it “bunches” up your back and brings the lats into action for stabalisation.

I tried it, like it, and now is best practice for me.

Some will have other thoughts though…

[quote]wings_931 wrote:
Dave Tate had a good answer over at Elitefts, the the distance of hands on the bar when Squating…

He said something like - If you place your hands as close to your shoulders as you can when squating, it “bunches” up your back and brings the lats into action for stabalisation.

I tried it, like it, and now is best practice for me.

Some will have other thoughts though…[/quote]

That was also what Wendler was coaching us to do at the EliteFTS seminar. Bunch in the hands as much as your shoulder flexibility/overall size will allow for. Helped me as well.

[quote]wings_931 wrote:

He said something like - If you place your hands as close to your shoulders as you can when squating, it “bunches” up your back and brings the lats into action for stabalisation.[/quote]
Exactly. Great stuff as always from Dave Tate.

As far as keeping the wrists straight - try to hold the bar as low in your palm as possible. Although you should be gripping the bar tightly, the weight of the bar should be fully supported by your traps/shoulders.

Think “chest out” (or “spread the chest”, as BFS says) and “back double biceps pose” when you are squatting - it will help you keep the upper body tightness you should have when squatting.