T Nation

Hand/Skin Damage from Knurling

I have a friend who comes to train with me at the gym, and recently she’s been complaining about the knurling on the bars tearing up her hands. Sure enough, it’s pretty bad. I’m not sure if it’s because of her small hands and having to grip harder or something, but either way, chalk isn’t really helping.

I’ve always heard to avoid gloves as it limits or stunts your ability to strengthen your ungloved grip, and she definitely needs to be establishing some rock solid grip (she’s training for stuff that requires a lot pushing and pulling from all sorts of angles, mostly bodyweight, though right now she’s trying to add lean mass).

Would it be alright to put some athletic tape across the areas that are getting tore up, so as to provide some protection without limiting grip and movement? Other ideas?

If your gloved grip strength goes up so does your ungloved grip strength. Not nearly at the same rate but it does go up.

dude screw that.

i wear gloves when i lift. girls don’t like alligator hands. guys may say ‘oh what kind of pussy wears gloves when he lifts’

i’ll tell you what kind, the kind who has girls wanting him to touch their sex-aye bodies.

so yeah, in conclusion, buy her some gloves.

Unless this girl plans on eventually doing heavy deadlifts, shrugs, and other things that involve holding on to really fucking heavy bars, gloves are fine.

But she also needs to learn to scrape her calluses with a butter knife while wet, then finish them off with pumice and maybe a cosmetic exfoliant.

go to wallgreens and get amlactin lotion.

[quote]supabeast wrote:

But she also needs to learn to scrape her calluses with a butter knife while wet, then finish them off with pumice and maybe a cosmetic exfoliant.[/quote]

lol, or just wear gloves.

Haha, solid. I’ll get her some gloves. She’s definitely not going to be doing much, if any, heavy ass lifting.

I’d come out against gloves. I don’t know your friend, but you don’t know she isn’t going to want to try “heavy ass lifting” once she gets stronger, and as you say, she’ll need the grip strength.

I had the same problem at first – the goal is to get nice smooth calluses, like the thicker skin on the soles of your feet. Alligator hands are not necessary. What worked for me:

Lotion.
Bandaids.
Take a day off from deadlifting if you really have to. (Not worth it if your hands are bleeding every time and never get a chance to heal.)
Trim loose skin with nail scissors.
Abundant chalk.
Focus on gripping the bar with your hands, not your fingers, and holding tight.

Just fucking wear gloves, I wear gloves on 90% of my lifts and like them.

I wear gloves. It’s not worth the pain IMO.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
dude screw that.

i wear gloves when i lift. girls don’t like alligator hands. guys may say ‘oh what kind of pussy wears gloves when he lifts’

i’ll tell you what kind, the kind who has girls wanting him to touch their sex-aye bodies.

so yeah, in conclusion, buy her some gloves.[/quote]

Totally agree! I do not like teh alligator hands. Smooth hands for the man and smooth hands for me. Can’t imagine lifting without gloves and don’t want Mr. Nasty hands touching me!

Wow. T-Nation has officially turned into the gaping vagina of the internets.

Wear gloves? Really guys? My balls are showing?

Grow a set, deal with the fucking callouses. If it’s a chick, then she should learn to file them down as another poster said.

Gloves are worn for work or fighting. Any other use is pussyish.

people have talked about using lynx grips which also make the bar fatter but ive never tried it. one thing i used when i pole vaulted was new skin (liquid bandaid) when my hands got cut up and i could continue vaulting without an open wound or when a callous ripped or something. one thing to do to keep hands smooth is soaking it in water and using a razor and actually shaving the callous down if it gets rough and smooth it out while still being kind of hard skin. i know alot of vaulters who do this and i think i heard gymnasts would do this too when/if they developed them.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

Grow a set, deal with the fucking callouses. If it’s a chick, then she should learn to file them down as another poster said.

[/quote]

I need my hands to work. I’ll take being able to get my job done over worrying about being a pussy any day :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]debraD wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

I need my hands to work. I’ll take being able to get my job done over worrying about being a pussy any day :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

Uh girls are allowed to be pussies.

By definition they are.

I dont wear gloves because I cant grip for shit with them.

I use a high grit sandpaper and a little water. and just bust my callouses down when they get excessive.

You dont need gloves if you know how to use sandpaper.

No one wants rough ass hands on their penis. Especially when they belong to a woman.

Get her some gloves.

I really doubt she’s going to ever require heavy duty calluses or the grip strength that some of us need.