Hand Rehab = Squats Until I Die?

Stop me when I start to sound retarded, please. My motivation to do anything in the gym has been sporadic at best since summer. Major life events have occurred and are partially to blame but mostly i caught the lazy bug. Now I tore a ligament in my thumb and can barely make a fist. My thought was to see how much I can recover of my lost strength in my squat and maybe even hit a new PR by the time it heals. Specifically work on my squat almost exclusively until I can squeeze a barbell again.

The plan is this:

Day 1
Back squat 5x5 @~65%
1 accessory

Day 2

Front squat 3x10 very light
2 accessories

Day 3
Whatever upper body movement doesn’t hurt (haven’t tried anything yet)

Day 4
Back squat 3x3 @~75%
1 accessory

Day 5
Box squats 6x3 @~60%
2 accessories

Add 10 lbs a week to everything and repeat. I am hoping after 6 or so weeks I will have healed and ready to bench and pull again. As a frame of reference I squatted 445 in July and did 385 3x3 a couple weeks ago. Any advice would be much appreciated.

This looks too light. Your body can easily handle squatting everyday. Don’t substitute box squats or go super light or whatever. Squat every session. You can work up to a set that feels heavy for that day and then do backdown sets. Just get the volume in. Doing that much volume and frequency with your competition back squat will really lock in your technique and get you stronger at the movement.

Thanks for the opinion. And yea looking back on this it is kinda light.

I agree with csulli.

You could squat heavy everyday and be fine, but if you need it you could have 1 rest day a week.
What you could do is:

D1 Work up to a heavy 5 rep, take off 5-10% and do 2-3 sets of 5.
D2 Work up to a heavy 5 rep(No back down sets), hit what upper body work you can do.
D1 Work up to a heavy 4 rep, take off 5-10% and do 2-3 sets of 4.
D2 Work up to a heavy 4 rep(No back down sets), hit what upper body work you can do.
etc

Throw in a rest day every 6th day or before or after you get to working up to a 1 rep.
You could also throw in a few sets of light 10 if you feel like it on the days with back down sets, but these should not be heavy enough to take away from your recovery. Like around 50%.

Also an interesting idea. I think I like that quite a bit more than what I had written. Again much appreciated.

i’ve had alot of experience with doing the basic lifts often, never did solely squats but it can and will work. If you wonder what kind of results you get if you stick to it;

if your not used to high-frequency just ease into it. You can jump right into squating heavy everyday but your body will absolutely hate you for making such a drastic change.

Not in like your gonna get injured, your just gonna feel like shit for 1-2 months and eventually you get used to it to the point that maxing out (training max only) will get easy like walking. Once you adjust you don’t get the feeling of a sore musclsgroep but somekind of feeling of just fatique.

If you wonder what kind of results you can get, you could squat training maxes for weeks, (months if your advanced). then 1 session you feel like shit (or good, it’s always unexpected) and you suddenly squat a PR. Or you take a few days off to recover and you squat another PR.

Whetever you get mass gains etc depends on your diet

Just my 2 cents of high frequency training

Can’t you use your 4 fingers to hold on to a bar?

I wasn’t sure when I had initially written my post, but yes I can use a false grip without too much issue. Still going to keep it moderate until I am sure I won’t fuck it up any more, and it sounds like fun anyways.

Update:
8 squat sessions later and I have crushed 2 separate rep prs. Hit 405x4 (prev. best was 2) and 425x3 (best was 1). I am sure it is just confidence in my technique but my squats are significantly faster than before. Another possibility is I got a new belt and some knee wraps, but I doubt they had a 50 lbs carry over. Exactly what I did is detailed here http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/no_rest_for_the_wicked?id=5469225&pageNo=16

[quote]johngalt191 wrote:
Update:
8 squat sessions later and I have crushed 2 separate rep prs. Hit 405x4 (prev. best was 2) and 425x3 (best was 1). I am sure it is just confidence in my technique but my squats are significantly faster than before. Another possibility is I got a new belt and some knee wraps, but I doubt they had a 50 lbs carry over. Exactly what I did is detailed here http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/no_rest_for_the_wicked?id=5469225&pageNo=16[/quote]

Very nice work!

I appreciate it Jayk.