Hand Placement on HS Iso Row Machine

I’ve noticed that a lot of the big guys here enjoy using the HS iso row machine. Which handle is preferred: the inner (neutral grip) or outer (pronated grip)? I’ve tried both, and both seem to do a pretty good job hitting my back.

I really like this machine a ton. I think if you are doing one arm at a time, you would want to use the neutral grip. I have actually never done it this way and use an overhand grip on the outer handles. There is a video of me doing it in my log.

I do 1 arm at a time neutral grip. Love this machine.

I mostly do 1 arm at a time with the neutral grip. When using both arms, I use the lower pronated grip. I can’t give a particular reason other than these ways feel right to me.

Never seen that HS machine before, we have a HS high row and another row but none with those dual handles. I love the other HS rowing machines though.

Usually neutral grip. I can handle more weight and it hits the overall back much better. With pronated it tends to fry your post. delt.

one arm neutral for me! i alternate every 2 weeks between this and one arm dumbbell rows.

love this machine, started using it after watching blood and guts

For some reason this machine hits my back best when I use one-hand with a supinated grip on the lower handle.

Awesome machine when doing one arm.
Absolutely hate it for training with two arms, when the weight gets a bit high I can not breathe and the vertical bar hits me in the groin.

[quote]Joris wrote:
Awesome machine when doing one arm.
Absolutely hate it for training with two arms, when the weight gets a bit high I can not breathe and the vertical bar hits me in the groin.[/quote]

I’ve had my dick head pinched on one of those goddamn screws on the vertical bar so many times. Really, rather uncomfortable… but totally worth it.

[quote]SSC wrote:
For some reason this machine hits my back best when I use one-hand with a supinated grip on the lower handle.[/quote]

AFAIK, a narrow and supinated grip allows for maximum lat stretch.

[quote]FattyFat wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:
For some reason this machine hits my back best when I use one-hand with a supinated grip on the lower handle.[/quote]

AFAIK, a narrow and supinated grip allows for maximum lat stretch.

[/quote]

Ah, well if it’s true that would definitely explain why it feels so good that way!

That, and it’s always nice to give the biceps a little extra work, although I’ll never admit it at the expense of sounding like a real bro… :wink:

Oh man, I love this machine too - great contraction when doing one arm at a time (I alternate). I use an overhand, narrow grip because it seemed to be the most comfortable - I’ll try the neutral grip sometime. I already keep my elbows down and in tight, which seems consistent with the neutral grip path of motion.

Part of the reason I joined a new gym in my area was that they have this and 2 other HS back machines (iso low row, and iso pulldown) amongst other HS equipment.

Great machine.

Related topic: HS pullover is also excellent.