Hand Grip Throws off Posture, Thumb Stability

Question #1
I’ve been doing deadlifts consistently for over 3 years now and have found my right scapula is slightly elevated and outward rotated. Could it be from the overhand/underhand grip? I feel that it gives me a better grip with chalk and would rather not stop it. I do switch the grip too. I’m stronger with the right supinated grip.

Question #2
I’ve been doing pulling exercises with a thumb tucked in grip for several years. I just noticed some bilateral thumb instability from the pressure on the 1st doral interrosi or webspace. Now I see all the powerlifters do this for bench. Do you think it could put more pressure on the radial nerve and could cause a thumb arthroplasty down the line?

Yes it probably is from your grip,You should only use under over on your max lift.use chalk,straps or get stronger hands,The top deadlifters only go under over on max.

Really? I should start switching up my grip then because I think I have the same problem.

Thanks… I will try

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
Yes it probably is from your grip,You should only use under over on your max lift.use chalk,straps or get stronger hands,The top deadlifters only go under over on max.[/quote]

Really?

I wasnt aware of that.

Could always alternate grips and get them both equally strong. I dont see how using straps is any sort of solution for a powerlifting unless you have sausage fingers and just absolutely cannot hold onto anything, in which case I can see doing your heavy stuff with straps and then hammering the grip work afterwords being viable.

Could also learn to hook-grip. I have a feeling that this is what the “top deadlifters” comment was referring to. Wont work as well if you have short fingers and small hands.

Best, most catch-all solution: alternate grips with your over/under and you’ll be ok.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
Yes it probably is from your grip,You should only use under over on your max lift.use chalk,straps or get stronger hands,The top deadlifters only go under over on max.[/quote]

Have you talked to all of them? That’s a pretty ridiculous assumption to make.

I never use straps anymore. Whats the point? Its not functional

hook grip

The hook grip is causing the thumb instability by tucking it into the palm

[quote]Power GnP wrote:
horsepuss wrote:
Yes it probably is from your grip,You should only use under over on your max lift.use chalk,straps or get stronger hands,The top deadlifters only go under over on max.

Have you talked to all of them? That’s a pretty ridiculous assumption to make.[/quote]

lol

It is indeed ridiclous. The truth is most top/serious/yada yada deadlifters use a mixed grip from start to finish, and won’t vary the grip either.

Thats what I thought. A bilateral pronated grip is very difficult even with chalk.