Hand Grip Strengthener? Thoughts?

What’s up fellas, I’m very skeptical on those hand grip strengthener tools and wanted to get some feedback. I realized today that my grip strength is not where I want it to be and would love to bust out 100 reps of these everyday. I was just curious if anyone has experimented with these before, and if so, throw me some feedback?

I bought a set the progressed in resistance, and used them. I would not be telling the truth if I said they didn’t work either, but I wouldn’t say they are worth it though. Stick to deadlifts. Use an overhand grip for as long as possible. I personally will use straps afterwards but that is because I don’t like mixed grip period. Another thing is heavy bent rows. Very few people realize that it is difficult to hold onto that weight when you reverse it back up. Feel free to purchase some, because they do work if you actually use them properly, but there is a cheaper way that will also work.

1 Like

Best grippers I have seen/used are the Captains of Crush. They are inexpensive but the only ones I’ve used that were challenging - the standard plastic ones are way too light (and I’ve never had a super strong grip). The Trainer is the lightest, it starts at 100 lbs. Number 1 is 130, and it jumps in odd increments from there - I think 5 is over 500? I forget. They started making 1/2 increment grippers a while back, since the jumps between numbers was too big for most.

Now if I could just remember to use them…

There are 2 levels below trainer, Guide (60lbs) and Sport (80lbs)

The list from Ironmind’s site
http://ironmind.com/product-info/grip-strength-training-tools/captains-of-crush-grippers/

No. 1401 Captains of Crush Guide - c. 60 lb. (Novice, rehab)
No. 1402 Captains of Crush Sport - c. 80 lb. (Warm-up, conditioning)
No. 1250 Captains of Crush Trainer - c. 100 lb. (Strong guys start here)
No. 1250.5 Captains of Crush Point Five - c. 120 lb. (Bridge to the No. 1)
No. 1251 Captains of Crush No. 1 - c. 140 lb. (Already gripping, start here)
No. 1251.5 Captains of Crush No. 1.5 - c. 167.5 lb. (Bridge to the No. 2)
No. 1252 Captains of Crush No. 2 - c. 195 lb. (Life-saving levels of grip strength)
No. 1252.5 Captains of Crush No. 2.5 - c. 237.5 lb. (Bridge to the No. 3)
No. 1253 Captains of Crush No. 3 - c. 280 lb. (World-class:  get certified)
No. 1253.5 Captains of Crush No. 3.5 - c. 322.5 lb. (Bridge to the No. 4)
No. 1272 Captains of Crush No. 4 - c. 365 lb. (Be like Magnus Samuelsson!)

Huh. Don’t remember seeing those, but it’s been a while since I was on their site.

Captains of Crush are great. I could only do pullups for a set of 4, but after some training with grippers i progressed to 8 whilst doing zero pullups.

Would highly recommend buying them. Also those store bought grippers where you can manage like 100 reps are useless.

And I could have sworn it went higher than what number 4 says.

Slight tangent: I was in the shared FBI/DEA Academy gym some years ago and they had the full set (no halfs) tied to an anchor point on one wall, with a leaderboard - you had to get one of the gym staff to observe as you performed a legit squeeze: ends of handle had to be visible to staff member and they had to touch and remain in contact for 10 seconds. I swear they had a 5 and possibly a 6 gripper on there…

Its very possible that it was from a different company than Ironmind.

Deadlifts and hanging on the bar for 2 mins a day have made my grip strength explode.

1 Like