Hamstrings Painful During DL

Past couple months my hamstrings have felt very tight when in a deadlift position and when I pull it hurts in my hamstrings because they are so tight even just getting into deadlift position with no weight… The tightness sometimes goes away by time I get to the heavier sets and sometimes does not. I stretched them for a few days pretty constant and my deadlifts felt normal again… But then kind of stopped being consistent with the stretching and they are right back. Is this just tight hamstrings? I used to have great hamstring flexibility then all of a sudden this tightness started to happen and i wasn’t stretching at all when my flexibility was good. What could be the cause of this tightness?took me about a Half hour of doing the deadlift motion with just the bar for that to be comfortable but as soon as I put on 135 and went to pull the bar felt like it went up so slow because of how tight and painful it felt in my hanmstrings…what the hell is going on?

[quote]Indalec87 wrote:
I stretched them for a few days pretty constant and my deadlifts felt normal again… But then kind of stopped being consistent with the stretching and they are right back. Is this just tight hamstrings? I used to have great hamstring flexibility then all of a sudden this tightness started to happen and i wasn’t stretching at all when my flexibility was good. [/quote]

Think you answered your own question here. Strength training causes muscles to tighten. If you stretched them for a few days and felt normal, then stopped…no rocket science here. Keep stretching. And get used to it. Mobility exercises, stretching, etc will become more important as you progress and age.