Hamstrings-Not Taken Seriously by Some

[quote]Scott M wrote:

Sumo leg presses
[/quote]

You have a vid or description?

I can use my imagination, but… Ya know.

What do you guys think about doing DLs and SLDLs in the same workout, or would you split them up?

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

I can use my imagination, but… Ya know.[/quote]

Not every leg press will work with everybody but… you’ll know if it works pretty quickly.

Feet high up on the platform(your toes might even come off) and a little wider than usual. Nice controlled descent to the point just before your low back starts to round… push THROUGH THE HEELS up to just shy of lockout(my preference). 12-20 reps works well with these. You won’t necessarily feel a pronounced burn during the movement but the next day assuming you had the mechanical position correct there will be no doubt what body part was doing the brunt of the work.

You can’t see Shelby’s feet here but this is a good example of how it looks.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
What do you guys think about doing DLs and SLDLs in the same workout, or would you split them up?[/quote]

I split them. Dls are for my back, Stiff Leg DLs (Romanian Deadlifts), are for my hamstrings.

[edit] unless ofc, you do back and hamstrings on the same day…in which case i could only respond with “?”

Thank you sir.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
What do you guys think about doing DLs and SLDLs in the same workout, or would you split them up?[/quote]

I would have to do SLDL first.

Pulling from the floor, or even rack pulls fatigue me so much, I would bitch out on teh SLs.

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:

I split them. Dls are for my back, Stiff Leg DLs (Romanian Deadlifts), are for my hamstrings.

[edit] unless ofc, you do back and hamstrings on the same day…in which case i could only respond with “?”[/quote]

Dls for back, sure, but they also work hamstrings & quads, so I suppose it’s a matter of preference where you’d put them (leg or back day). Either way, I don’t do hams and back on the same day.

I get a lot of Hammy work from deads and rack pulls. Minor activation from squats.

I have been adding in lying leg curls, due to the lower amount of pulling I’ve been doing recently.

But thinking about it, I’m pretty sure you are right. Dammit…

[/quote]

Hammy work from Rack pulls?

Is it just me who only feels the back working on rack pulls?

EDIT: How low do you set the pins?? I normally keep them at my mid-knee cap

Personally I wouldn’t try pulling 2x weekly much less in the same session… but then again I’m a pussy so take that for what it’s worth

Something like

Week 1 Dead lifts on back day, various leg curls/glute hams on leg day
Week 2 Rows on back day, stiff leg deads on leg day

would be how I’d arrange it

SL’s don’t do shit for me. The sumo leg press like you described, I didn’t know there was a specific name, but those are the staple of my hamstring day. Like he said not everybody will respond to them, but if you do, they work a ton.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

I get a lot of Hammy work from deads and rack pulls. Minor activation from squats.

I have been adding in lying leg curls, due to the lower amount of pulling I’ve been doing recently.

[/quote]

EDIT: How low do you set the pins?? I normally keep them at my mid-knee cap[/quote]

That is from December.

[quote]Scott M wrote:

Sumo leg presses
[/quote]

I can use my imagination, but… Ya know.[/quote]

You have to wear a giant diaper when you do 'em :slight_smile:

A combo I’ve stuck with the past year is to start with SLD’s (I use DBs to get a deeper stretch at the bottom), then seated leg curls (I’ve gotten to the point where I have to pin an extra plate to the stack), and then finish with Glute Ham Raises on a lat pulldown machine. SOmething about the pre-stretch just makes everything afterward just feel like I’m getting more out of it.

S

I’m glad this thread came up because my hamstrings suck.

I’m definitely going to try the sumo leg presses next time i train legs

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

EDIT: How low do you set the pins?? I normally keep them at my mid-knee cap[/quote]

That is from December.[/quote]

Gotcha. Your rack pull is almost a full deadlift!

I love training mine…so much so that I have a Hams day now!

The Gironda Ham Curl and Single Leg Ham Curls KeyStones…yeah, dude. They are definitely up there on my faves when it comes to muscle groups…probably because of the influence sports performance had on me over the years.

Lat pulldown GHR’s
Various deadlift variations
and a sled

I’d never thought of setting up rack pulls on steps like that video. Might have to try that now!

I don’t understand people who hate leg day.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]stockzy wrote:

[quote]belligerent wrote:
What serious lifter doesn’t do some form of squat, leg press or deadlift? If you do any of those, you’e not ignoring your hamstrings.

[/quote]

None of these train knee flexion and all of these train KNEE extension.

If this is all anyone is doing for their hamstrings they are forgetting half the equation. The hamstrings cross two joints and should be trained accordingly for proper development and balance.

You wouldn’t isolate your triceps and not your biceps.[/quote]

Fixed that for you.

This is why some form of hamstring curls are a good idea. Seated and standing/lying to cover everything. [/quote]

While your fix is true, I actually did mean knee extension. Was only concerned with the knee and coming from the angle of balance around the knee joint. If you only use the above mentioned for hamstring work, you train knee extension in your hamstring work. Then when you train quads you also train knee extension leading to under trained knee flexion. Neglecting some sort of curl is faulty logic as you posted.

Okay, some noob questions here.

How do deadlifts hit hamstrings more than squats? (or at all in that matter, since it’s knee extension and not flexion which is what the hamstrings do…unless I’m mixing them up again)

Someone was mentioning increased hamstring strength allows for bigger squat numbers. How does that work and for a Power Lifter or Oly Lifter, how important do you think this would be to consider in our training? Since, ya know, squat #s are very important to people like us.

Diagrams are MORE than welcome.

Sick hams…

^ who is that?