Hamstrings and Squats

One more point. Ask him if the biceps work in a row, the exact same thing is occurring (a 2 joint muscle getting stretched at one joint - the shoulder in this case - and contracting at another joint - the elbow). In the squat it is getting stretched at the knee and contracting at the hip.

When someone claims to have a graduate degree and then uses ‘rehibilitation’ and ‘imiging’ just walk away and save your time.

Remember, “You can’t argue with an idiot, first they bring you down to their level…and then they beat you with experience.”

I ‘feel’ most of my squat in the glutes and quads in spite of how much the hamstrings are being worked. Regardless…it’s still very important to do RDLs for strength and leg development. Good Mornings to specifically boost the squat power if that’s what you want.

[quote]anthropocentric wrote:
I ‘feel’ most of my squat in the glutes and quads in spite of how much the hamstrings are being worked. Regardless…it’s still very important to do RDLs for strength and leg development. Good Mornings to specifically boost the squat power if that’s what you want. [/quote]

What squatting style do you use?

it don’t have to be a wide stance for the hammies to get worked…even with a just-wider-than-shoulder-width stance, once you are below parallel they are involved in getting you outta the hole.

Of course there is hamstring activation to suggest otherwise is retarded.

I carried out an EMG study for my Master Thesis this year here is a link to the piliminary (sp?) results.

Still waiting for it to get marked and get it back might edit and send in for peer review.

Hamstring activation is fairly low in the squat when compared to the deadlift and variations but it is a knee extension exercise (quads) primarly.

So what is the point of getting your backs up about it?

i second that western fitness emphasizes too much on aerobic.

when i got my can fit pro, there was about 4 hours on calculating VO2 max, heart rates, etc.

and absolutely zero time spent on free weight exercise form. none.

I have to question someone who thinks that experienced trainees can’t tell the difference between their adductors and their hamstrings.
Maybe this guy hasn’t trained enough to get proper awarenss of his body, cause I know when my hamstrings are sore after a particular workout and I know when my adductors are sore, I don’t see how anyone with any training experience and even a basic understanding of anatomy would get the two confused.

[quote]IrishMarc wrote:
Of course there is hamstring activation to suggest otherwise is retarded.

I carried out an EMG study for my Master Thesis this year here is a link to the piliminary (sp?) results.

Still waiting for it to get marked and get it back might edit and send in for peer review.

Hamstring activation is fairly low in the squat when compared to the deadlift and variations but it is a knee extension exercise (quads) primarly.

So what is the point of getting your backs up about it?[/quote]

What squatting style did you use in your EMG study?

For what’s it’s worth Poliquin has said front squats recruit more hamstrings than regular squats.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
For what’s it’s worth Poliquin has said front squats recruit more hamstrings than regular squats.[/quote]

That comes as a surprise, does FS recruit less adductors and glutes?

You are not going to adequately stimulate hamstrings during back or front squats. They of course act as stabilizers, but in terms of hypertrophy you will not get much stimulation. I agree with the guy you quoted, and yes many trainee’s don’t know the difference between their adductors and hamstrings. They of course are those who in response to the question, “ever heard of T-Nation”, reply, what? Teen Nation?

It’s a quad and glute exercise. Forget all the dam studies and go to the gym. Only do squats one day, then three days later only do stiff legged dead-lifts. You will realize what really hits what.

[quote]chriscarani wrote:
You are not going to adequately stimulate hamstrings during back or front squats. They of course act as stabilizers, but in terms of hypertrophy you will not get much stimulation.

I agree with the guy you quoted, and yes many trainee’s don’t know the difference between their adductors and hamstrings. They of course are those who in response to the question, “ever heard of T-Nation”, reply, what? Teen Nation?

It’s a quad and glute exercise. Forget all the dam studies and go to the gym. Only do squats one day, then three days later only do stiff legged dead-lifts. You will realize what really hits what. [/quote]

I do atg back and front squats and this is my experience as well