Hamstrings and Glutes in Squatting

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
There’s no need to use a wide stance. I did Olympic squats yesterday and my PC is killing me today.

So go wide if it suits you, but if you like a narrower stance, you can go deeper and get, in my opinion, a greater effect.

My hamstrings never got sore from squatting close. Not once.[/quote]

Mine have. All the time.

…the quads are evil?

Whoops… guess not.

Looks like all those oly lifters are wrong.

Hey thanks very much for all the help everyone. Hopefully things are clearer now. just one last question, does wide front squats using the same form as on free squats also work the hamstrings/glutes to the same degree? because i use front squats for some of my max effort days and i think since i use a narrow stance for them, i feel i’m not using my hams/glutes and that my hams/glutes assistance exercises might be going to waste.

Not quite the same degree, but I think they can be useful. I’ve done wide stance front squats for a change and they can tax you.

glute/ham assistance exercises never go to waste.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Not quite the same degree, but I think they can be useful. I’ve done wide stance front squats for a change and they can tax you.

glute/ham assistance exercises never go to waste. [/quote]ah rite thanks. Just one last question lol. Since i use front squats for some of my max effort days, on these days should i focus my assistance work on quads instead of hams/glutes? or should i always be working just hams/glutes?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
There’s no need to use a wide stance. I did Olympic squats yesterday and my PC is killing me today.

So go wide if it suits you, but if you like a narrower stance, you can go deeper and get, in my opinion, a greater effect.

My hamstrings never got sore from squatting close. Not once.

Mine have. All the time.

There is a reason that Louie Simmons says that beginners should squat wide…

…the quads are evil?

it builds up the hips and hamstrings to a greater degree than squatting close.

Whoops… guess not.

[/quote]

Olympic lifters do more than just squat close. Youre forgetting the part before when they pull the weight up off of the floor.

Looks like you’re wrong.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Ryan P. McCarter wrote:

Mine have. All the time.

…the quads are evil?

Whoops… guess not.

Olympic lifters do more than just squat close. Youre forgetting the part before when they pull the weight up off of the floor.

Looks like you’re wrong.[/quote]

I’m confused… are you saying that olympic lifters get enough hamstring training from pulling? But regular people do not?

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Ryan P. McCarter wrote:

Mine have. All the time.

…the quads are evil?

Whoops… guess not.

Looks like you’re wrong.[/quote]

Their squat style doesn’t do much for their hamstrings. That’s why their front squats are so high relative to back squats, glute+quad dominance.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Ryan P. McCarter wrote:

Mine have. All the time.

…the quads are evil?

Whoops… guess not.

Looks like you’re wrong.

I’m confused… are you saying that olympic lifters get enough hamstring training from pulling? But regular people do not?

[/quote]

They do lots of RDL’s.

[quote]Bloobird wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Ryan P. McCarter wrote:

Mine have. All the time.

…the quads are evil?

Whoops… guess not.

Looks like you’re wrong.

They do lots of RDL’s.[/quote]

So does hamstring work + close stance squatting = enough hamstring work?? Or do we all have to start squatting wide?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Ryan P. McCarter wrote:

Mine have. All the time.

…the quads are evil?

Whoops… guess not.

Looks like you’re wrong.

[/quote]

What % of total reps in a workout for an olympic lifter start on the floor, compared to % of total reps for a normal person?

Do regular people pull from the floor for the majority of their lifts?

Do regular people even pull from the floor in a majority of their workouts?

[quote]CoolColJ wrote:
robertsontrainingsystems.blogspot.com/2007/07/extensor-reflex.html[/quote]

Hmmm, competing this weekend so I won’t make any changes but I might play with this in my next training cycle. Thanks for the link.