T Nation

Hamstring Training

Hi CT! Hope all is well.

I love doing hip dominant movements. In your experience and opinion, at what point does it become necessary to also train the hamstrings through the knee joint such as with leg curls?

Thank you!

[quote]bro1989 wrote:
Hi CT! Hope all is well.

I love doing hip dominant movements. In your experience and opinion, at what point does it become necessary to also train the hamstrings through the knee joint such as with leg curls?

Thank you![/quote]

To me, leg curls are better used as a pre-fatigue exercise to better ‘‘feel’’ the hamstrings during a hinge movement like an RDL, reverse hyper or goodmorning.

It can also be used prior to squatting to help stabilize the knees.

Thank you, CT. I appreciate your efforts.

But is it a must for healthy person to train knee flexion movements? Do hip extension exercises increase strength of knee flexion significantly?
Short head of biceps femoris does not extend the hips, so is it trained isometrically or non-trained?

[quote]tonaryzu wrote:
But is it a must for healthy person to train knee flexion movements? Do hip extension exercises increase strength of knee flexion significantly?
Short head of biceps femoris does not extend the hips, so is it trained isometrically or non-trained?[/quote]

It is involved in stabilizing the knees during a squat so it does receive some stimulation. I’ve known TONS of strong and athletic guys who never performed a single set of leg curl. In fact I rarely use leg curls in the training of my athletes and they have no functional issue or increased risk of injuries.

I remember John Meadows recommending Leg Curls as a sort of warm up/pre-fatigue to make squats “feel” better. I really notice a difference.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]tonaryzu wrote:
Short head of biceps femoris does not extend the hips, so is it trained isometrically or non-trained?[/quote]

It is involved in stabilizing the knees during a squat so it does receive some stimulation. I’ve known TONS of strong and athletic guys who never performed a single set of leg curl. In fact I rarely use leg curls in the training of my athletes and they have no functional issue or increased risk of injuries.[/quote]

CT, where those guys sprinting?

[quote]orcrist wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]tonaryzu wrote:

It is involved in stabilizing the knees during a squat so it does receive some stimulation. I’ve known TONS of strong and athletic guys who never performed a single set of leg curl. In fact I rarely use leg curls in the training of my athletes and they have no functional issue or increased risk of injuries.[/quote]

CT, where those guys sprinting?[/quote]

Yes, football and hockey players, both of which also sprinted during their off-season. Mind you, we did a lot of olympic lifts, RDLs and goodmornings