Hamstring Training w/out Knee Flexion

So, I’ve never had knee problems before but it’s apparently never too late to start. I’ve started getting pain (feels like inflammation) and stiffness in my right knee after days I train hard with hamstring knee flexion exercises (ghrs, nghrs, leg curls), co-extension stuff doesn’t seem to aggravate it. I plan on taking a break from these exercises.

My question to you guys out there is whether or not this could cause weaknesses in my hamstring development. Most of the hamstring training I’ve read emphasizes the necessity of training hip extension and knee flexion, anyone know why?

I will still be doing good mornings, deadlift variations ect. I’ll also still be getting negative loading (what hamstrings respond will to) with good morning squats where you good morning the weight down then squat it up.

Though I’ve never seen anyone else do these, a knowledgable training partner got me doing these to help teach me to drive my hips forward out of the hole and they work great for me.

The two things I’d say to give a shot are Glute Hams & Single Leg Stiff Leg DL’s

GHR’s don’t hurt my knee and I’ve got a bit of pain there building up after squats (heavy and reps). I also did SLDL’s all summer when I wasn’t squatting or DL’ing at all and was still able to keep my strength. It’s a very humbling lift though b/c I had to start with the 20lbs DB’s and was only able to work up to 45lbs for 3x10 with each foot.

Good luck and I hope the knee shit works it’s way out for good.

I wouldn’t sweat the accessory work too much. You are probably gettign 95% of your strength gains from “money” lifts like squats, pulls, good mornings. GHRs, leg curls, etc. are great finishers but I think they are probably not a make or break for you.

I get more out of good mornings for my hamstrings than leg curls!!!

actually, my favorite hamstring “supplemental” exercise is hyper-extension-good-mornings. I do good mornings (the have to be light) in the hyper extension bench. works like no other. For knee flexion stuff i mainly do GHRs and natural GHRs. Though I like the standing leg curl machine too.

I was really asking about it, because it’s probably going to be a long layoff. I already tried 3 weeks off of them, but the pain comes back after a week or 2 of starting again and its been getting progressively worse.

Just didn’t know if there was a reason for “needing” to train hamstring both ways.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
actually, my favorite hamstring “supplemental” exercise is hyper-extension-good-mornings. I do good mornings (the have to be light) in the hyper extension bench. works like no other. For knee flexion stuff i mainly do GHRs and natural GHRs. Though I like the standing leg curl machine too.

I was really asking about it, because it’s probably going to be a long layoff. I already tried 3 weeks off of them, but the pain comes back after a week or 2 of starting again and its been getting progressively worse.

Just didn’t know if there was a reason for “needing” to train hamstring both ways.[/quote]

Well, as far as i know biceps femoris is only working during knee flexing, but provides stability in the squat. Anyhows, I’ve never done knee flexion stuff for other purposes than warmups, and I have no problem with stability in the legs. Don’t you worry so much, go ahead and squat.