Hamstring Struggles

Looking for some support with some hamstring issues I am having with training & sports.

Last game of the season (American football) about 6 weeks ago I felt something in my hamstring and hip flexors during warm up… obviously I decided to play the full game.

I took a week off training and got back into the gym, all felt good for 2 weeks but once I incorporated some maximum speed work the hamstring issues came back.

I’ve been adding more flexibility, mobility and prefab work into lower body days but whenever I do a hip flexion style stretch like RDL it’s back to pain. My dilemma is do I avoid these movements or try to train through and strengthen in this movement?

1 Like

@N0FLYZ0N3, Great question.

You can definitely have one movement pattern at one speed and another at a higher speed with different movements. But in this case, the hip flexion of the RDL is obviously compromising something and stimulating your body to “defend” itself. If the pelvis is off, sacroiliac joint sprain, misalignment, or restriction, the hamstrings will kick in to support it.

Check this article and video out and see if it helps. It might be easy low hanging fruit!

1 Like

Try Nordic curls. If they are too difficult, add a broom stick and a bench for support.

Thank you, going to check this out. Doing some research I’m wondering if it could be tight hip flexors and APT? So when the hip is flexed and hamstrings are being stretched over two joints causing the pain?

Strangely, nordics are fine. It’s movement through the hips that causes the pain like RDL, good mornings

This short vid about a dude with hamstring pain during hip extension showed up today.

@N0FLYZ0N3, Can you do a video showing the movements that hurt and indicate where it hurts?