Hamstring Stretch With Bent Over Rows

When I’m doing bent over barbell rows I feel a stretch on my hamstrings. Is my technique wrong?
I have seen the video at exrx.net, and I think I do it the way they show it, but I don’t think that the stretch is all right.

[quote]mexicanBoy wrote:
When I’m doing bent over barbell rows I feel a stretch on my hamstrings. Is my technique wrong?
I have seen the video at exrx.net, and I think I do it the way they show it, but I don’t think that the stretch is all right.[/quote]

Some stretch is normal considering the bent over position, but if it is an extreme stretch then you probably have flexibility issues to sort out.

What signs will warn you that your technique is off?

[quote]gibran wrote:
What signs will warn you that your technique is off?[/quote]

Generally speaking:

• If your torso is moving a noticable amount while you lift the bar. (Using alot of lower back to lift the weight; Weight may be too heavy; Starting the motion with momentum)

• If your legs are doing a mini-1/4 squatting motion to give you a boost to start the movement. (Starting the motion with momentum; Weight may be too heavy)

-If the bar cannot touch some part of your abs or lower chest. (Weight may be too heavy)

-If you cannot control how quickly, or slowly, the bar lowers towards the ground. (Weight may be too heavy)

Are you trying to keep your upper body parallel to the floor? Because that would explain an extreme stretch. I don’t think you have to get that low for the movement to be effective. I am at about 45 degrees when I do them.

Just a random thought…

Is there any validity to doing a bentover row with a little “english” or starting momentum to try and move a heavier weight a little faster? I’m just thinking of the difference between a push press and a military press. I’ve never really heard anything about doing it from the pull aspect. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

There is at times validity to using some english, but I’m not sure if it’s suited for a move like this where you might be trying to target a specific muscle. Probably it should be saved for final reps as opposed to entire set.

I think the heavier weight we lift, the more hip bend is needed to adopt a given angle. Like, when we bend forward, our hips drift back to keep the weight distributed identically over the feet since the upper body comes forward.

So, if the upper body is weighted by a bar, I think the hips need to drift back even further to counter-act that weight, meaning more hip flexion and more hamstring stretch is needed.

Go with the 95% rule.

Your technique and rep execution should be as “perfect” as possible for most of your reps (95% of the set)…a little “body english” on the last rep or two would be fine, in my opinion, as long as it’s effort related.

The mechanical positioning of a bent over BB row, has this kind of “margin of error.”

There are better options than a bent over bb row for hitting the back in my opinion, but learning to stabilize your body while rowing is great learning tool.

[quote]synergy93 wrote:

There are better options than a bent over bb row for hitting the back in my opinion, but learning to stabilize your body while rowing is great learning tool.[/quote]

Can you elaborate on what options you think are superior to the bent over bb row? Or is this already covered in your stickied thread?

its better to feel the stretch in your hams than your lower back

6 Year bump, bravo