Hamstring Pain Experienced After Leg Day

Hello guys and gals, I have to apologize in advance if this question has popped up before, but I really need to ask…
Doing a cable one leg exercise after a sudden pull the day after I felt a little pain to that leg’s ham… First it was at the glutes too (slightly) but now it gone after stretching and its only to hams.
It’s not that I can’t do exercises, yesterday was again a leg day and performed each without pain only when it came to the cable pull through did I experienced a little pain but not smthng important… Thing is I don’t want to feel the slightest of pain when I perform as we all can acknowledge when its a gain pain and when smthng is wrong and I really feel it’s not gain ot because of the workout.
Well that’s all I’m sorry if the topic is retold but I’m new here so I’d appreciate if anyone could give me sometime and share advice or similar experiences with me…
Thank you in advance I wish everyone numerous training sessions with safety and tons of gains!

Did you feel the pain immediately and acutely with one specific rep? Or did you recognize that you had the pain after completing set?
Most likely it’s a muscle strain resulting in some inflammation. In which case, you will want to ice, stretch, massage the area. Take anti-inflammatory medications as needed. And rest until you’re pain free.
If the pain is mild, this could take 1-3 weeks.
Do not attempt to push through this pain, as you risk making it worse.

I only realized it the next day I went to the gym, delts&tri ceps day and just did a random stretching before I start and I felt it then I did some more stretches to relax it and didn’t feel it at all until the followed up leg day when I did the cable pull through some Nordic hams and I feel it right after a little more from then…
So you suggest for me not go to the gym until the pain goes or go and try make it better with some light exercise ?

You can definitely still go to the gym. You can even still work legs. Just avoid painful, or potentially aggravating exercises, such as hamstrings curls, SLDLs, and obviously the cable exercises that caused the problem.

1 Like

That’s good…
Thank you so much for the quick answer and the so much helpful advice you offered me,wish you
tons of gains and numerous workouts with safety as no one wants to stay away!!

1 Like

Just to know, followed the instructions you mentioned in, especially the ice(as I used hot stuff till you mentioned ice) and I’m feeling better already, hope I’ll pain free soon!!
Thank youuuuu so much!!! :muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle:

Hey! That’s great! For future reference, any time you have an acute injury, or any type of inflammatory process (words that end with -itis, such as bursitis) you want to use ice.
Heat is for chronic injures, or muscle tightness. Heat makes tight tissue more extensible. It relaxes. But it also brings blood to the area.
You don’t want to bring blood to areas that are already inflamed (acutely painful, red, swollen, bruised, warm to touch).
So happy you’re feeling better. Keep up the good work!
:facepunch:t3::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Thank you so happy you helped!!
I’ll have these in mind as I really did wrong in the first place!
Thank you again keep up the good work too&tooooons of gains!!!

1 Like

Do you do static stretching before strenuous leg exercises? Doing Roman chair back extensions, for example, is a dynamic warmup and can help stretch and warm up your hamstrings safely. But if you do standing or seated hamstring stretches followed by Nordic hams, you can greatly increase the risk of injury.

I second @dadbod10 ‘s suggestion - ice instead of heat! I can’t tell you how many people just put a heating pad on the injury and prolong their suffering.

Finally- don’t go overboard, but a tennis ball/lacrosse ball/golf ball under the hamstring can hit those deep muscle knots that are hard to foam roll, and stretching your hamstrings with a bent knee can hit the muscle belly closer to the glute and may help you further.

Best of luck!

2 Likes

That’s exactly the case here, I work on legs 3 times a week, with many isolation exercises for glutes, I’ve searched so much about streching, warm up etc for this particular area as that’s what I have as a priority to the gym and what I’ve experienced… Really I didn’t see it coming… That day I even spent 20 minutes getting my glutes/ham ready as I had over a week to visit gym so I put a lot of thought before the workout but what I got was what I described in my previous post!!
Really frustrating, I can’t tell you how I feel even now that I feel little by little it goes away…
Thanks about the tip with the bend knee I’ll try that too&the streching tips you mentioned I feel that I have to change my warm up routine… :cry:

It just depends on what you mean by “getting ready”. If you’re spending 20 minutes static stretching, you’re getting them ready to rest and relax, and then right when they’re ready to release, you’re contracting them tightly and loading them with your bodyweight. If you spend 20 minutes doing bodyweight squats, hypers, RDLs, etc. you’re priming the muscle for work. Don’t worry - it sounds like a muscle pull, not a hamstring tear - it could have been worse than it is, so you’ll bounce back in no time.

1 Like

Yeah, squats, frog hip thrusts, banded walkers, lunges etc just to wake them up and start…
You know after these days where I feel the pain if I “search” is in the right glute so I’m wondering if I should see a doc :confused:

If in Doubt you should always see a doc.

1 Like